Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
P-hil
P-hil began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Unable to use micro sd on Kobo Glo

Hello,

I own a kobo glo. I am desperalty trying to get it reading a micro sd card.

I turned of the device, added the card, turned the device on (several times). It keeps displaying only e-books on internal storage...

I tried several format (FAT32, FAT, exFAT) but no way to see the books in the library. The micro sd is 2gb only so it should be ok...

I downloaded a user manual but there is no mention of how to use properly micro sd Card...

Can someone help me ?

Many thanks in advance

Phil
P-hil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
Do you have anything else that can read a micro sd card? Like a phone/tablet? I had one once that would show up in Windows, but not in anything else.

Also, if you have no books on the card at all, does the kobo "see" that there's a card in there? Or will it read a different card, even to tell you that there's nothing readable on it?
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I can think of two things.

There has been problems with the various Kobo devices not recognising some SD Cards. Kobo have worked on fixing this in the firmware versions. I have three cards and one doesn't get recognised. Apart from not seeing any books on it, the difference is the home screen doesn't flash when it is inserted. For the working cards, the home screen flashes even if there are not books on it. If this is the problem and your Glo is not on FW 2.1.5, this might get fixed with the update. I know at least one person has reported that a non-working card now works.

The other possibility is how the device processes new books. When the device sees new books it processes them and adds them to an internal database. This database is what is read to display the library. In the past, if there was a bad book, the device would stop processing all the others. Any book processed before this one were added to the database. You might have the bad luck that the first book the device finds on the SD card is bad. The only way to confirm this is to take the books off the card and try a few at a time. Or putting them in the main memory and seeing if they work there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #4
P-hil

Thanks !

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes those micro sd cards work fine not only with windows but with my nokia phone (symbian OS).

I will try several card and check if I have a "bad" book.

Regards,

Phil
Old 10-20-2012, 05:24 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hil View Post
Thanks for your reply. Yes those micro sd cards work fine not only with windows but with my nokia phone (symbian OS).

I will try several card and check if I have a "bad" book.
The micro SD card I have that the Touch doesn't see works perfectly elsewhere. And others have reported the same thing.

When you test another card, find a couple of books that are loaded OK when put in the main memory. Then copy these to the cards and see what happens.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
voyage2005
voyage2005 began at the beginning.

I have the same problem for my old 1gb micro SD. But I fix it as below steps.

1. Format it to ext3. (Use special software or Unix/Linux machine to format through card reader)
2. Put it in the kobo and connect it to the computer.
3. Win7 asked to format the SD card. Then format it to fat32. Copy books in the SD.
4. Disconnet kobo and I found the books in the library.

Hope it can help. Good luck!

And I suggest kobo to add the format card function in next firmware.
voyage2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyage2005 View Post
That would be a nice idea
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
P-hil

finally...

Hello all,

I manage to get it working by using a 16gb micro sd. (the brand is PQI if that can help someone else). I think I won't get it out for a long while

Thank you again for you help.

Regards,

Phil
Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #9
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyage2005 View Post
As long as they have an 'Are you Sure?' confirmation...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #10
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
I was able to "see" my SD card in calibre after I used the "Save As" option to sideload some books onto my device. I also removed all of the calibre files (metadata and drive info) from the card and the main memory (which didn't have any Calibre books on it yet). I ejected the reader, plugged it in again, and the card was shown in the top menu next to my device icon.
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #11
jeffdonnelly
jeffdonnelly began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue/Haoqing Meebook P78 Pro
I'm using this one right out of the package, and it's no problem!

SanDisk Ultra 32 GB microSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card 30MB/s with Adapter SDSDQUA-032G-U46A

here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o03_s00_i00
jeffdonnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #12
KazAugustin
KazAugustin began at the beginning.

Device: Aldiko on Archos70, Kobo Glo
Well don't use Strontium brand!

Bought an 8GB Micro SDHC yesterday. Did a deep reformat of FAT32 and my Kobo Glo still refuses to recognise it. Tried on hubby's Glo as well. Same problem. Have to go hunting for SanDisk, I suppose. Sigh.

Kaz Augustin
---
KazAugustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazAugustin View Post
Well don't use Strontium brand!

Bought an 8GB Micro SDHC yesterday. Did a deep reformat of FAT32 and my Kobo Glo still refuses to recognise it. Tried on hubby's Glo as well. Same problem. Have to go hunting for SanDisk, I suppose. Sigh.

Kaz Augustin
---
If you have an SD reader on your PC (or Mac) maybe see if this tool helps --> https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #14
KazAugustin
KazAugustin began at the beginning.

Device: Aldiko on Archos70, Kobo Glo
Talking

Peter, I shall sacrifice whomever dares to question chicken motivations in the future!!!

It worked! My Kobo now recognises my Strontium card. I shall spend the next hour happily loading books. Many many thanks to you, and so speedily too!

(This was particularly irksome as all my data is on my Linux machine and I am forced to use my Evil Empire laptop to exclusively cater for apps that aren't universally available. And in case anyone asks about Wine, I researched that and the Kobo desktop does not work under Wine, although there is a version of the Desktop under Ubuntu. Pity I don't use Ubuntu!)

Kaz!
KazAugustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:28 AM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
But the Linux desktop is very very old now and has not been kept current.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote