Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
13 Little-Known Punctuation Marks We Should Be Using

What do you think?

13 Little-Known Punctuation Marks We Should Be Using
http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/arc...#ixzz28WMOtHjc
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
If they're little known then the readers won't know them - and they're hard to look up in a dictionary, even if you wanted to distract your reader long enough to do that. Even the humble semi-colon gets a bad-rap with some readers. (And mostly I just see those in the article as another form of adverb )

ETA: Interesting link though, thanks.

Last edited by gmw; 10-06-2012 at 10:46 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
rlowe
Enthusiast
rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3; Kindle DX
Haha the exclamation comma & question comma are so epic. Now I don't have to end my sentence by using them

Last edited by rlowe; 10-06-2012 at 12:33 PM.
rlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I don't think their unicode glyphs (barring the alternate sarcasm mark) are supported by most readers.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:43 AM   #5
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I think the interrobang is the only one that readers would understand. People already do use the two-character equivalent, "?!".

The rhetorical question mark could possibly be of some use, but readers wouldn't understand it. I don't think it would be of much use, as it's usually pretty clear when a question is rhetorical. And just because a question is rhetorical doesn't mean it shouldn't be answered. A rhetorical question is often used to make a statement, and if that statement is flawed, one way to expose that flaw is to answer the question?

The others, I don't see a lot of use for them, even if people could be taught them.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:50 AM   #6
Matriarch
Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
The exclamation comma, irony mark and interrobang are all ones that I wish were used more often.
Matriarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I can tell you that Cormac doesn't like them.

I actually use ?! and some others in personal writing but not for fiction publication. Why risk the confusion?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Interesting. But what is the point of copyrighting a mark? Firstly, that's something that makes nobody use it, and secondly, the entire point with marks is that they shall be copied in the text
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:42 AM   #9
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I think that the purpose of an orthography is to communicate.

If a symbol has a meaning unclear to the receiver, it is not helpful.

It might be more interesting to discuss at what point an author would consider putting a in a text. This and similar symbols, although not in, e.g., English, now have meaning to a large part of the population.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:25 AM   #10
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
I think that the purpose of an orthography is to communicate.

If a symbol has a meaning unclear to the receiver, it is not helpful.

It might be more interesting to discuss at what point an author would consider putting a in a text. This and similar symbols, although not in, e.g., English, now have meaning to a large part of the population.
In one of my books I insert a series of emails; in such a context I would not have been adverse to using such symbols. I think that, at least the very basic ones, are widely enough known to be acceptable in the right context - but as it turned out I didn't need them. (I deemed that they would, in my situation, have been like redundant adverbs, describing something that was hopefully obvious in the text.)

And while the graphic symbols are easy to recognise, would they appear as graphics in the ebook or as ':' followed by ')' or '-)'. Which brings up the second point. As text, I had always drawn a smiley as ":-)" but more and more places are like this forum where it has been abbreviated to ":" followed by ")". So if the symbol is going to show as text you have to decide which is the form the reader will most readily recognise.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:32 AM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I like the idea, but the problem is that many of these marks are simply too obscure to be useful, some of them are copyrighted, and most importantly, only few of them have actually been allocated Unicode points:

INTERROBANG ‽
ASTERISM ⁂
ARABIC QUESTION MARK ؟ ؟
REVERSED QUESTION MARK &x2e2e;

AFAIK, only Kindles support these marks out of the box; you'd probably have to embed a font to use them in your ebooks.

Last edited by Doitsu; 10-08-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #12
Stephen B
Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There are way too many keys on the keyboard already, without adding these!
Stephen B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen B View Post
There are way too many keys on the keyboard already, without adding these!
Nailed. It.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #14
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
I have enough trouble figuring out where the commas go.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #15
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
I have enough trouble figuring out where the commas go.
They, go, after, every, pause, so, write, like, William, Shatner, speaks.