Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
sly_skittle
sly_skittle began at the beginning.

Device: none
Keeping small caps when converting from sigil to calibre

I wanted to make the titles of my chapters all capitals but with each letter after the first one slightly smaller. To achieve this in sigil I manually added <small> around the letters I wanted to make smaller.

(from this website: http://cameronchapman.com/ebook-form...e-easy-way.htm)

It works out fine in sigil and when I check it on adobe, but when I covert it in calibre the tags disappear.
Does anyone know why?
sly_skittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly_skittle View Post
I wanted to make the titles of my chapters all capitals but with each letter after the first one slightly smaller. To achieve this in sigil I manually added <small> around the letters I wanted to make smaller.

(from this website: http://cameronchapman.com/ebook-form...e-easy-way.htm)

It works out fine in sigil and when I check it on adobe, but when I covert it in calibre the tags disappear.
Does anyone know why?
I believe the use of the tag is deprecated.

better to use styles in the stylesheet

<h2>C<span class="step1">hapter</span><h/2>

.step1 {font-size: 95%}

Or were you trying for a progressively smaller
<h2>C<span class="step1">h<span class="step1">a<span class="step1">p<span class="step1">t<span class="step1">e<span class="step1">r</span></span></span></span></span></span><h/2>
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Ducky:

In either event, those chapter heads will NOT WORK in Nook. Trust me, we've tried; but you cannot do a viable, non-breaking (non-hyphenated, IOW) smallcaps header with a slightly larger first letter for Nook. Not a'tall.

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Ducky:

In either event, those chapter heads will NOT WORK in Nook. Trust me, we've tried; but you cannot do a viable, non-breaking (non-hyphenated, IOW) smallcaps header with a slightly larger first letter for Nook. Not a'tall.

HTH,
Hitch
All those reader that "Don't", make me glad for my PEz (ADE), even if it misses with the weak 'bookshelf" and no Annotations, Dictionary lookup.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I believe the use of the tag is deprecated.
AFAIK it's valid xhtml 1.1
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
AFAIK it's valid xhtml 1.1
and valid in EPUB2, EPUB3, HTML4.01, & HTML5. <small> is not going away anytime soon.

It may be that it is not supported, at least by major reader software, inside of heading tags. The spec's, specifically EPUB3, list it as being a text level tag.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
and valid in EPUB2, EPUB3, HTML4.01, & HTML5. <small> is not going away anytime soon.

It may be that it is not supported, at least by major reader software, inside of heading tags. The spec's, specifically EPUB3, list it as being a text level tag.
Thanks for clarification, I wasn't quite sure.

... and I use it within headings often ...

Last edited by mmat1; 03-23-2012 at 05:27 PM.
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
Thanks for clarification, I wasn't quite shure.

... and I use it withing headings often ...
Support for it in headings seems to be a bit mixed. I did a quick experiment using <H1> heading. Using <small> worked in Sigil and ADE (Windows). Using <span class="small"> also worked in both when I had this in my CSS:

Code:
.small {
  font-size: 75%;
  }
When converted to MOBI using KindleGen (via Kindle Previewer 2), <small> worked on both the MOBI (display matched in Previewer & on a K3) and KF8 (tested in Previewer only) partitions although the size change in the MOBI portion was very slight. The <span class="small"> version worked on both partions with a larger size change.

When converted to MOBI using calibre 0.8.3 neither method worked, although the span method worked, with a much larger size change, when the CSS was:

Code:
.small {
  font-size: x-small;
  }
This 3rd version also worked Sigil and ADE/Win and with the KindleGen conversion. Perhaps the first <span> method may have worked in the calibre conversion if the size change had been larger; I didn't take the test that far.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
small does not mean smaller. It is a font size so if small is already the size this setting to small would not change anything. If you want smaller then say smaller.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote