Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-01-2009, 02:19 AM   #1
SubElement
Connoisseur
SubElement began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle International
Buying an eReader for Australia - HELP

Now, I've pretty much settled on three different readers.

Cybook Bookeen

Now this looks great, and I can get it locally from Dymocks, but they charge AU$599 for it, but they have their own eBook store that supports all their products, so loads of Mobipocket books locally. Ordering from the official Booken website will cost me more than getting it locally, and I am not sure if there are other places around the world that will ship to Australia.

Sony Reader PRS-505

I've always had my eye on this because of its wonderful styling, and I can get it shipped to me cheaper from the USA at AU$518, than getting the Cybook locally. Downside is that I won’t really have access to the Sony store, so I would have to rely on converting my purchased books into a readable format.

Sony Reader PRS-700

This new model has also caught my eye, because I - try to - do allot of reading in low light conditions, and with the built in light it makes it a big plus for me. Also the fact that this can read ePub will make the converting process a little easier, and will also allow me to buy eBooks internationally from the many retailers that sell ePub. The downside is that it's the most expensive of the three at AU$723 shipped.

So now I ask your opinions? Are there benefits of each reader that I have missed? Is the 505 with that light attachment as good as the built in light on the 700? Is mobipocket support a big influence for international readers?

Please give me your opinions, or ask questions if you think you can better help me with more information!

Kind regards,

Michael

EDIT: I just noticed the poll down the page for Australia, so I am reading that, but please feel free to reply with your thoughts. Thanks!

Last edited by SubElement; 02-01-2009 at 02:21 AM.
SubElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:30 AM   #2
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'll offer my 2c although I've only owned a PRS500 and 505. If you can get access to the Sony eBook Store this is a real benefit. They have a lot of newer books you wont be able to find in other formats (except from Amazon). I'm sure you can find a helpful MobileRead user to buy a Sony gift voucher so it is really quite easy to get an account on the Sony Store.

Both the PRS505 and the PRS700 read ePub (which I predict will be of increasing importance). So unless the built-in backlight is worth $205 dollars for you, I'd go for the PRS505.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2009, 03:07 AM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubElement View Post
Now, I've pretty much settled on three different readers.

Cybook Bookeen

Now this looks great, and I can get it locally from Dymocks, but they charge AU$599 for it, but they have their own eBook store that supports all their products, so loads of Mobipocket books locally. Ordering from the official Booken website will cost me more than getting it locally, and I am not sure if there are other places around the world that will ship to Australia.
G'day Michael,

In regard to the Cybook Bookeen...

DA Direct in Australia also sell it (same price), as well as the two iRex Iliads, the two iRex Digital Readers, and also the Hanlin V3. A fellow MobileRead member, cbell, works for them, and if you have any questions I know she'll be only too happy to help (she certainly has in the past, and I know a couple of fellow Aussies have appreciated it). From what I've seen, she's here at MobileRead as an enthusiast.

Check out the link above, as this might also add the HanLin to the list, which you then might want to compare (I'd get the Cybook myself, for a feature it has that the HanLin doesn't, but that feature might not be important to you).

None of this is intended to dissuade you from the Sony devices. I just thought it would interest you to know of another Aussie seller.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:11 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
I'll offer my 2c although I've only owned a PRS500 and 505. If you can get access to the Sony eBook Store this is a real benefit. They have a lot of newer books you wont be able to find in other formats (except from Amazon).
I must respectfully disagree. The overwhelming majority of eBooks are released commercially in all the major formats - Kindle, Sony, MobiPocket, and PDF/ADE.

A device which supports MobiPocket gives you access to the widest range of eBook stores, compared to the other formats.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hello, SubElement.

I can't help you with your choice, but I can welcome you to MobileRead.

In the meantime, look at all the books we have here for downloading and reading on your computer.

desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I must respectfully disagree. The overwhelming majority of eBooks are released commercially in all the major formats - Kindle, Sony, MobiPocket, and PDF/ADE.
You are probably right. The books I am after are usually less popular so they don't seem to be as widely available. I just did a survey and of 25 books I've read recently, 72% were available from Sony, 52% were available in Mobi, LIT and eReader and 88% were available for the Kindle (I only used Mobipocket.com and Fictionwise to look for Mobi, LIT and eReader versions though). The average price per book was Sony: $12.81, Mobi: $14.54, LIT: $16.98, eReader: $16.98 and Kindle: $11.35.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Thank you for the mention, montsnmags, and you're right, I am certainly an ebook enthusiastist. I've been reading Mobipocket ebooks for many years on my mobile phone. Now, I prefer to use my iLiad - the large screen size and e-Ink give a much more comfy read.

SubElement, the only Sony PRS I've seen is epiphany's and I thought it looked very stylish. I think the biggest concern with Sonys in Australia is that you purchase them with no warranty. The Cybook is also an elegant device.

If you're in Sydney, you can see a Cybook and iLiad in action at Dymocks. If you're in Melbourne, you can have a demo of Cybook, HanLin V3 and the complete iRex range at DA Direct.

My recommendation, if you're wanting a 6" device, is to look at the Cybook and HanLin V3 (or clone). If you purchase locally, you get Australian helpdesk support and warranty.
DA Direct is a long-standing Australian owned company, located in Melbourne.

And... epiphany, I think we should get together and organise an MR Melbourne meet. I'll send you an email when I'm back on deck at work. I've met several MR members already and I think it'd be lots of fun for us to get together for a show and tell.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote