Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-10-2010, 02:48 AM   #1
windybt
windybt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Latest Generation
Inconsistent Metadata

Hello everyone, I just received the newest Kindle on Friday so that I could take advantage of some of the free ebooks my college gives out. One of my professors gave me the epub files to a few of his books and I used Calibre to convert them to mobi. Later, I noticed that his files didn't have covers. At all. Going back a page after opening it led to a page with a title. So I found the covers on the Internet and updated the metadata so that my Kindle would display the covers instead of a title page when going into the book information. Unfortunately one of the three doesn't seem to update. I've deleted my Kindle's library and Calibre library and re-added the cover image in Calibre and then uploaded it again, but to no avail. Is there anything that I can do? I don't mind not seeing the cover when I open the book, but when I tab over into the book settings I'd like for the little box to have the image. That's all I'm asking. What do I need to do?

Thanks for your help!
windybt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:24 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You have to run a conversion (even if it is to the same format) to get the covers inserted into the ebook file. Simply updating the cover in Calibre is not sufficient.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 03:27 AM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
A long shot but have you tried tabbing back twice?
Some books have a sort of cover that looks like the first page which can be removed by checking the remove first image under structure detection
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:47 AM   #4
windybt
windybt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Latest Generation
Thanks! The reconverting it fixed the problem. I thought that might work, but I was confused why the other two didn't need to be reconverted before showing the cover.
windybt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:53 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by windybt View Post
Thanks! The reconverting it fixed the problem. I thought that might work, but I was confused why the other two didn't need to be reconverted before showing the cover.
My guess is that either the epub file already had the cover or (more likely) you downloaded the cover before doing the ePub->mobi conversion for the kindle.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 07:14 AM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by windybt View Post
... but I was confused why the other two didn't need to be reconverted before showing the cover.
Just for your info - Kovid introduced a new feature in v7.11 (quote from What's New page)
EPUB metadata: When setting metadata in an EPUB file, if it has a well defined image based cover, update it

When I asked for clarification of what this meant he replied
That means that if the EPUB file has a <meta name="cover"> element pointing to a cover image in jpg or png format that is not encrypted, it will be updated to the cover stored in the calibre database when saving to disk/sending to device.
i.e. some epubs will get their covers updated from your library metadata merely by resending, no conversion necessary.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
i.e. some epubs will get their covers updated from your library metadata merely by resending, no conversion necessary.
Good Information.

I'm not sure but I guess this applies to mobi files too. After all this is what the original poster was asking about.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Oops! Perhaps I didn't read the OP carefully enough.

I'm not sure about MOBI either, Kovid's statements only mentioned EPUB. However, this was back in July and Calibre improves so fast...
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
MOBI files may or may not have their covers updated (it depends on the internals of the file). If they don't you have to reconvert.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover art, kindle, metadata