Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-28-2018, 10:45 PM   #1
cstead
cstead began at the beginning.

Device: iBooks
Save Me From My Embedded Font Hell

Hi Guys,

I just stumbled on this forum after finding no answer to this issue on Adobe or Apple's communities, or Stack Overflow, so hoping the brains trust here may be able to help.

I have made dozens of fixed layout ePubs. I make them in indesign, export them as fixed layout ePubs, upload them to my devices to test and all is ok with the fonts.

Until about six to nine months ago. All of a sudden that same process stopped work.

Embedded fonts display fine in Adobe Digital Editions, and on iBooks on Macbook. But do not display properly on iBooks for iPad or iTunes (everything is up to latest versions).

My old books already on iTunes, work fine - even if they are the same font.

I have compared the encryption.xml, container.xml, content.opf and idGeneratedStyles.css and there is no difference between the old working files and the new non-working files. The code in all is identical.

I have also declared the embedded fonts correctly and the fonts have rights to be embedded.

<meta property="ibooks:specified-fonts">true</meta>

I just can't work this one out guys - any ideas?

Just to reiterate, an epub file I exported last year works fine. But if I export it again now unchanged, the fonts don't display correctly. So same file, old displays, new doesn't. But code is identical.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Last edited by cstead; 10-28-2018 at 10:50 PM.
cstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:53 AM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstead View Post
Hi Guys,

I just stumbled on this forum after finding no answer to this issue on Adobe or Apple's communities, or Stack Overflow, so hoping the brains trust here may be able to help.

I have made dozens of fixed layout ePubs. I make them in indesign, export them as fixed layout ePubs, upload them to my devices to test and all is ok with the fonts.

Until about six to nine months ago. All of a sudden that same process stopped work.

Embedded fonts display fine in Adobe Digital Editions, and on iBooks on Macbook. But do not display properly on iBooks for iPad or iTunes (everything is up to latest versions).

My old books already on iTunes, work fine - even if they are the same font.

I have compared the encryption.xml, container.xml, content.opf and idGeneratedStyles.css and there is no difference between the old working files and the new non-working files. The code in all is identical.

I have also declared the embedded fonts correctly and the fonts have rights to be embedded.

<meta property="ibooks:specified-fonts">true</meta>

I just can't work this one out guys - any ideas?

Just to reiterate, an epub file I exported last year works fine. But if I export it again now unchanged, the fonts don't display correctly. So same file, old displays, new doesn't. But code is identical.

Thanks in advance

Chris
Did your old export use or include the com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml file, whilst your new do not?

I mean...really, it should be the other way around, (you shouldn't need the com....xml file any longer...) but...how old is your iPad, if I may ask? Any chance it's a first-gen?

Are you 100% sure that your code is identical? What version of INDD were you using last year, versus this, if it's changed?

I take it you're making coffee-table books?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub3, export, fonts, ibooks, indesign