Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Basic CSS Font family question!

Hi,
If I call out:
font family: Georgia,"Times New Roman", serif;

My understanding is that if the system can find Georgia, it uses Georgia. If it can't find Georgia, it uses Times New Roman, and if it can't find THAT it defaults to whatever serif font it CAN find

But I have been playing with an ePub, and if I call out-
font family: Georgia;
I definitely get Georgia.
if I call out-
font family: Georgia, serif;
I definitely don't get Georgia, I get Times.

Am I just not understanding the font family order thing?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
It has to be font-family with a hyphen in the middle. Not "font family" with no hyphen. That shouldn't do anything at all.

What program/device are you using to view these ePubs?

In most browsers, the generic "serif" font is not "whatever it can find", but rather whatever is set as the default serif font in the Browser preferences. (E.g., under "Edit > Preferences > Content > Fonts & Colors > Advanced" in Firefox.) You can set that as some crazy sans-serif font if you wanted. Otherwise, you understand how things should work. A lot of ePub viewers don't support these parts of CSS as well as they should, however.

Last edited by frabjous; 05-27-2010 at 01:18 PM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
It has to be font-family with a hyphen in the middle. Not "font family" with no hyphen. That shouldn't do anything at all.

What program/device are you using to view these ePubs?

In most browsers, the generic "serif" font is not "whatever it can find", but rather whatever is set as the default serif font in the Browser preferences. (E.g., under "Edit > Preferences > Content > Fonts & Colors > Advanced" in Firefox.) You can set that as some crazy sans-serif font if you wanted. Otherwise, you understand how things should work. A lot of ePub viewers don't support these parts of CSS as well as they should, however.
Thanks, frabjous! Ok, I did have font-family with a hyphen, sorry about that .

I'm just testing with Calibre and Sigil right now-will try it in some other viewers to see what is up.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote