Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-16-2017, 04:10 AM   #46
theol0403
Enthusiast
theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle PW3
Wink Use jessie

Hello, I had the same problem. I forgot exactly what I did but what I have now has no problems. I will in a week add new parts to my tutorial but for now just google how to upgrade wheezy to jessie. Then you will have to recopy the versitile and intrid files, and then you will have the latest (stable) versions of things. Also I will put in my tutorial how to use qemu directly in windows to speed things up.
theol0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:15 AM   #47
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Here's the official Debian link for upgrading wheezy to jessie: https://www.debian.org/releases/jess...rading.en.html

Looks like as much work as building a jessie image from scratch!

I use qemu directly on ubuntu... no need for windows.
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #48
theol0403
Enthusiast
theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
Here's the official Debian link for upgrading wheezy to jessie: https://www.debian.org/releases/jess...rading.en.html

Looks like as much work as building a jessie image from scratch!
No, you only need to do this (change apt sources and upgrade):

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/...table-release/

or

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-upgra...stable-release

It just takes a bit of time.
theol0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:22 AM   #49
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

theol0403,

I followed the steps given in the links and was able to upgrade my Debian-Wheezy-Armel VM to Jessie.
Took approx. 16 Hrs.
Thank you!

During login, either initially, or later by SSH, I get a series of ipv6 related error messages of the form:
ipv6: wrong symbol. Don't know how to fix this.
But am able to otherwise work on the VM.

Next, I was able build the latest version of taskwarrior on the jessie-armel image.
After the build was over, I found the required library file dependencies by using ldd.
Copied over the library files and the executable over to Kindle (PW1) and tried executing it.

But got a series of GLIBC version related error messages. Apparently, the version of GLIBC on the PW1 is not compatible with that on the Debian VM, which is what the build has used. Any help on this would be appreciated!

Maybe the latest version of taskwarrior is too complex for the Kindle porting. It seems to be using (as per the ldd report) some 20 library files, as compared to the 2 of the earlier ported version!
Old 07-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #50
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
But got a series of GLIBC version related error messages. Apparently, the version of GLIBC on the PW1 is not compatible with that on the Debian VM, which is what the build has used. Any help on this would be appreciated!
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=24
&
https://www.google.com/#q=limit+glibc+version

ldd IS NOT the answer to your problem.
I spent about 18 hours yesterday creating a write-up on how to deal with symbol errors.
If you can wait a few more days for me to finish the write-up, test it, and post it - then you will have an answer that works.

Of course, you are free to work it out on your own.
The lessons might stick with you better if you did it yourself.

Last edited by knc1; 07-21-2017 at 09:21 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #51
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Quote:
Maybe the latest version of taskwarrior is too complex for the Kindle porting.
I don't think so
Attached Files
File Type: gz task.tar.gz (1.57 MB, 165 views)
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #52
nasser
Evangelist

Great!
Thanks, encol!
You're really filling the gap left by people like twobob and niluje!!
Will try it out..
Old 07-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #53
nasser
Evangelist

encol,

I tested your build on my PW1...
Various missing library messages came up, which I eliminated progressively by copying the library files from my build on my Debian-armel-jessie VM.

However, I couldn't fix the last error: It's loading libc.so.6 from the PW1's /lib directory... instead of the libc.so.6 from your build's tasklib directory. Any way to force it to load from your directory??

Testing output (my comments within << >>):
Code:
[root@kindle tw251]# ./taskwarrior.sh 
./task: error while loading shared libraries: libtasn1.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

<<Copied libtasn1.so.6 from my Debian-Armel VM>>

./task: error while loading shared libraries: libnettle.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directorycat taskwa	

<<Copied libnettle.so.4 from my Debian-Armel VM>>

./task: error while loading shared libraries: libhogweed.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

<<Copied libhogweed.so.2 from my Debian-Armel VM>>

./task: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by ./task)
./task: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by ./task)
./task: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.18' not found (required by ./task)
./task: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.5' not found (required by ./task)
./task: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by tasklib/libgnutls-deb0.so.28)
./task: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.17' not found (required by tasklib/libgnutls-deb0.so.28)
./task: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.16' not found (required by tasklib/libp11-kit.so.0)
./task: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by tasklib/libp11-kit.so.0)

<<Copied libstdc++.so.6 from my Debian-Armel VM>>

./task: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by tasklib/libgnutls-deb0.so.28)
./task: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.17' not found (required by tasklib/libgnutls-deb0.so.28)
./task: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.18' not found (required by tasklib/libstdc++.so.6)
./task: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.17' not found (required by tasklib/libstdc++.so.6)
./task: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.16' not found (required by tasklib/libp11-kit.so.0)
./task: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by tasklib/libp11-kit.so.0)

<<Copied libc.so.6 from my Debian-Armel VM>>

./task: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.18' not found (required by tasklib/libstdc++.so.6)
./task: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.17' not found (required by tasklib/libstdc++.so.6)

<<?? Why is it still loading the Kindle(PW1)'s /lib/libc.so.6 instead of tasklib/libc.so.6??>>
Btw, your usage of "ld-linux" was very interesting for me! Didn't know that trick.
Live and learn!

Last edited by nasser; 07-21-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #54
nasser
Evangelist

Hi encol,

I tested again, this time on PW3 and it works!
Of course, I had to add some missing library files, but not as much as for PW1.
The error messages are also different in some cases or totally absent.

Test Output from PW3:
Code:
./task: error while loading shared libraries: libtasn1.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

<< Copied libtasn1.so.6>>

./task: error while loading shared libraries: libnettle.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

<< Copied libnettle.so.4>>

./task: error while loading shared libraries: libhogweed.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

<< Copied libhogweed.so.2>>

./task: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by ./task)
./task: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by ./task)

<< Copied libstdc++.so.6>>

A configuration file could not be found in 

Would you like a sample /tmp/root/.taskrc created, so Taskwarrior can proceed? (yes/no) y
[./task next]
No matches.

[root@kindle tw251]# ./taskwarrior.sh  add test taskwarrior on PW3
Created task 1.

[root@kindle tw251]# ./taskwarrior.sh  list
ID Age Description                 Urg 
 1 16s test taskwarrior on PW3        0

1 task
[root@kindle tw251]# ./taskwarrior.sh  1 done
Completed task 1 'test taskwarrior on PW3'.
Completed 1 task.
Looks like it might work on KT3 too.. [EDIT 25-Jul-17: Tested on KT3. Works OK!]
But I would really like a solution for it to work on PW1!

Last edited by nasser; 07-25-2017 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Added information for KT3
Old 07-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #55
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi encol,

The error messages are also different in some cases or totally absent.
- - - - -
Looks like it might work on KT3 too..
Your problem is not the system library this time.
Code:
Dynamic Section:
  RUNPATH              $ORIGIN/tasklib
  NEEDED               libgnutls-deb0.so.28 ; provided
  NEEDED               libuuid.so.1 ; provided
  NEEDED               libstdc++.so.6  <<-- check this one, it isn't shipped with the package.
  NEEDED               libm.so.6 ; should be alright at 2.12.1
  NEEDED               libgcc_s.so.1 <<-- check this one if it was built with a newer compiler than what is on the PW1
  NEEDED               libc.so.6 ; should be alright at 2.12.1

Version References:
  required from libuuid.so.1:
    0x09da27b0 0x00 12 UUID_1.0
  required from libgnutls-deb0.so.28:
    0x097dcb90 0x00 18 GNUTLS_DEBIAN_0_2_10
    0x07d5bcb0 0x00 10 GNUTLS_DEBIAN_0_3_1_0
    0x0d97dbb4 0x00 08 GNUTLS_DEBIAN_0_1_4
  required from libgcc_s.so.1:
    0x0b792654 0x00 19 GCC_3.4
    0x0b792655 0x00 06 GCC_3.5
  required from libm.so.6:
    0x0d696914 0x00 05 GLIBC_2.4
  required from libstdc++.so.6:
    0x0297f870 0x00 17 GLIBCXX_3.4.20
    0x0bafd178 0x00 16 CXXABI_1.3.8
    0x0bafd171 0x00 15 CXXABI_1.3.1
    0x0297f868 0x00 14 GLIBCXX_3.4.18
    0x0297f861 0x00 13 GLIBCXX_3.4.11
    0x0bafd175 0x00 11 CXXABI_1.3.5
    0x02297f89 0x00 09 GLIBCXX_3.4.9
    0x0849afa3 0x00 07 CXXABI_ARM_1.3.3
    0x08922974 0x00 04 GLIBCXX_3.4
    0x056bafd3 0x00 03 CXXABI_1.3
  required from libc.so.6:
    0x0d696914 0x00 02 GLIBC_2.4
The paperwhite has 2.12.1 installed on it.
12 > 4
That should not be the problem.

In addition to the notes above, I did not check for anything it might be dl opening.

PW-1, 5.6.1.1 has:
libstdc++.so.6.0.14
pre-installed
6 > 3 so that should be alright.

Last edited by knc1; 07-21-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:56 AM   #56
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Quote:
Hi encol,

Strange behavior: on my PW3 i had to include in tasklib only those libraries in the package
What FW version fo you have on your PW3?

Quote:
Try to grab needed libraries from your PW1 and copy them in tasklib folder, replacing existing ones
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:27 AM   #57
nasser
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
Strange behavior: on my PW3 i had to include in tasklib only those libraries in the package
What FW version fo you have on your PW3?
Sorry! I should've mentioned that my PW3 still has the "factory image" which is loaded by the jailbreaking procedure. I never updated it because it had some "goodies" not present in the "customer image"!
Old 07-22-2017, 05:51 AM   #58
nasser
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
Try to grab needed libraries from your PW1 and copy them in tasklib folder, replacing existing ones
Will try. The issue seems like it's loading the libc.so.6 present in the /lib folder of the PW1, rather than the one in the tasklib directory. I'll copy the libc.so.6 of the PW1 into the tasklib directory and see what happens.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:22 AM   #59
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Will try. The issue seems like it's loading the libc.so.6 present in the /lib folder of the PW1, rather than the one in the tasklib directory. I'll copy the libc.so.6 of the PW1 into the tasklib directory and see what happens.
Use:
LD_DEBUG=libs task
to start the program and the loader will show you what the problem is.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:56 AM   #60
nasser
Evangelist

Task Shell - A companion application to Taskwarrior

There is a companion application to TaskWarrior called tasksh (Task Shell).
This is a front end wrapper to the main program. Now there is no need for prefixing every command with 'task'.

It also has a powerful "review" command which is not available in the main program. With this each individual task in the list can be reviewed with all details visible and also edited(vi is called).

I was able to build this on my debian-jessie-armel VM. I copied this over to my PW3 and it worked OK. I had to copy over 2 more libraries: libreadline and libtinfo. Also, this application expects the main program to be available in the same directory. For this, I added a export PATH command. I also dropped the 'ld-linux' method and used an export LD_LIBRARY_PATH command instead.

EDIT 25-Jul-17: Works OK on KT3 too! Needs the same libraries as in PW3.

The ports of both taskwarrior and this companion shell need some more work to make them a kindle user-ready package. There seems to be a differing set of library requirements depending on the kindle model and framework version.

Last edited by nasser; 07-25-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Tags
extensions, kterm, kual, launcher add-ons, launcher extension, task, taskwarrior