Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-22-2009, 12:21 AM   #1
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Amazon reviews --- Will the real Harriet please stand up.

In the Deals, Freebies, and Resources forum, a member has noted that "Heroic Measures" by Jill Ciment is available for free download on oprah.com.

The member gave the amazon.com address to see a description of the book. I went there, only to be puzzled at the nature of the reviews and the overwhelming five star ratings.

Then I noticed that one reviewer, Harriet Klausner, has a track record of similarly flavoured reviews - more upbeat summaries, all with four to five stars, rather than personal reviews. And many of her reviews were submitted on the same day. She couldn't possibly have read and considered such a large number of books in one day.

Are these genuine reviews? Or is Harriet a spruiker for the publisher or Amazon? I've heard of this sort of behaviour before on Amazon, but never seen it so blatant.

Or am I just being especially cynical and grumpy today?
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
you are, the person probably gets paid 10-50 cents a review from somebody. could be the publisher, the author, a favored party, or part of a contest (I remember that amazon was giving away kindles to top reviewers)

don't worry about it so much, if you want you can always report it
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:12 AM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
RCR,

You've introduced me to a useful new word: Spruiker.

I see that Wiktionary gives it as of Australian usage. That won't stop me from using it at every opportunity.

Thanks.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Harriet Klausner has been doing this for years. She claims to be a speed reader. According to her reviews, she's read thousands and thousands of books, yet manages to not have anything under 4 stars.

I doubt she works for publishers, because she pretty much reviews every book. I don't think she works for amazon either. I think she just made mass reviewing into a business.

There are articles about her, just give it a google.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
She's pretty much become a joke a lot of places her reviews are posted.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Ahhh! Mr Google explains it all! Thanks for directing me there, Lilac_jive. I am now enlightened.

Mike L: I didn't even know "spruiker" was Australian until you said.

I wrote to my sister in England awhile back and told her it was so cold that I had to put a "doona" on my bed. She was confused by that word. Apparently "doona" is Australian too. (It means "duvet"). I was born in England, but I guess I've been in Australia so long I've started to speak the language. I'll be throwing boomerangs and wrestling crocodiles any day now.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
how do you pronounce "spruiker" ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spruiker

I think it sounds like "spooker"

The above link has a sound icon that will pronounce it.

It's a new word for me too. And the reviewer in question is one that I always ignore when looking at reviews.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spruiker

I think it sounds like "spooker"

The above link has a sound icon that will pronounce it.

It's a new word for me too. And the reviewer in question is one that I always ignore when looking at reviews.
thanks for the audio aid. i looked it up too but there wasn't a pronunciation aid in the dictionary i checked.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
Ahhh! Mr Google explains it all! Thanks for directing me there, Lilac_jive. I am now enlightened.

Mike L: I didn't even know "spruiker" was Australian until you said.

I wrote to my sister in England awhile back and told her it was so cold that I had to put a "doona" on my bed. She was confused by that word. Apparently "doona" is Australian too. (It means "duvet"). I was born in England, but I guess I've been in Australia so long I've started to speak the language. I'll be throwing boomerangs and wrestling crocodiles any day now.
Her reviews used to drive me insane when I ran my reviewal site.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote