Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-18-2018, 03:29 AM   #31
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Nope just makes me wonder how people Think Amazon is going to allow their Kindles go sooo cheap & how gullible people are.
My latest Paperwhite 3 purchased from Amazon.com, I got for $35+tax after stacking discounts/promos.

Amazon is not Apple. If Staples is willing to take the loss, I doubt Amazon cares overmuch about the purchase price. One more Kindle owner is one more potential Amazon Prime or Kindle Unlimited subscriber.

I'm guessing for brick and mortar stores, it's sometimes cheaper to sell at cost or a slight loss than it is to return products to the mother ship hence these localized deals. I know Walmart frequently has them and availability/pricing from one store to the next varies greatly.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #32
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I got one! I figured there was no chance, but was passing by my local Staples and figured, what the heck. There wasn't one on display, but a clerk got it for me. It's brand new, never opened.

It's my first Kindle; I've been reading on a tablet for the past few years, and finding it increasingly hard on my eyes, so this should be fun. Now I have to figure out how to use it--since I didn't expect to find one, I didn't check out any specs.

P.S. Don't rely on the website to tell you if they're in stock--my store had them despite the website saying it didn't.

Last edited by Catlady; 10-18-2018 at 03:48 PM. Reason: P.S.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:04 PM   #33
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I got one! I figured there was no chance, but was passing by my local Staples and figured, what the heck. There wasn't one on display, but a clerk got it for me. It's brand new, never opened.

It's my first Kindle; I've been reading on a tablet for the past few years, and finding it increasingly hard on my eyes, so this should be fun. Now I have to figure out how to use it--since I didn't expect to find one, I didn't check out any specs.

P.S. Don't rely on the website to tell you if they're in stock--my store had them despite the website saying it didn't.
Oh, good for you! I've looked in a couple of Staples and they didn't have any on display and I didn't ask and now I'm kicking myself.

I don't need another eink reader, but I've gotten increasingly lazy about downloading etc. books and a (cheap!) PW would facilitate reading my Amazon library.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #34
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Oh, good for you! I've looked in a couple of Staples and they didn't have any on display and I didn't ask and now I'm kicking myself.

I don't need another eink reader, but I've gotten increasingly lazy about downloading etc. books and a (cheap!) PW would facilitate reading my Amazon library.
So far, I HATE the stupid thing.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:57 PM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
There are lots of folks here who'll buy it from you (but not me).
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:35 PM   #36
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
None at my local Staples. These would have been great Christmas gifts!
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:58 PM   #37
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:

Take it back to the store for refund.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:44 PM   #38
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It's frustration talking. But what geniuses decided not to include basic instructions, either in a booklet or on the device? Every time I've wanted to do anything, even something as simple as going back to the home page, I've had to go to my PC for the online user guide. It's different from way the finger swipes work with the app, and not always immediately intuitive. It'll be OK when I actually sit down to read something, I suppose, but I don't like it. Good thing it was cheap.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:34 PM   #39
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
It's frustration talking. But what geniuses decided not to include basic instructions, either in a booklet or on the device? Every time I've wanted to do anything, even something as simple as going back to the home page, I've had to go to my PC for the online user guide. It's different from way the finger swipes work with the app, and not always immediately intuitive. It'll be OK when I actually sit down to read something, I suppose, but I don't like it. Good thing it was cheap.
Are you sure there's no User Guide ebook? I seem to recall having to delete those whenever I set up a new Kindle.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:34 PM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
A suggestion. Whenever I have issues with a device, I resort to YouTube. Invariably there'll be a video of someone showing you what to do.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:24 AM   #41
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Are you sure there's no User Guide ebook? I seem to recall having to delete those whenever I set up a new Kindle.
That's what I was expecting; if it's there, I can't find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
A suggestion. Whenever I have issues with a device, I resort to YouTube. Invariably there'll be a video of someone showing you what to do.
It's not a matter of having complicated issues; it's just that I have to keep going to the PC to look at the user guide, which is annoying.

I generally don't get this frustrated about technology, but I'm in an especially rotten mood today.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:43 AM   #42
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
You'll get used to it, and probably end up liking it. I had the same issues when I tried to use a Windows 10 computer, after having given up on Windows after XP. I've been using Linux as my primary desktop for over ten years, and only dabbled in Windows since then when I absolutely had to.

I couldn't figure out how in the heck to make Windows work! Menus slide in from some hidden dock on the side. That is, if you know enough to go over and touch that side of the screen in the first place (this was a touchscreen computer). I finally figured a few things out by randomly touching, swiping, and whatever on every side and corner of the screen. You'd be amazed what pops up (literally!).

The PaperWhite is much the same. Touch the top of the screen to get a menu. Why? There's no indication that you should do that. Touch the top right corner of the screen to set a bookmark. Why? Because that's what you have to do. Touch the lower left corner of the screen and something else changes - some kind of numbers being displayed. Swipe up from the bottom middle of the screen to bring up a little window of something else. And then touch and swipe inside that little window for even more amazing things! Why? Well, you get the picture! Just start tapping and swiping in all directions randomly all over the place and observe the results. Of yeah, and touch two fingers to the screen and then spread them apart or bring them closer together. Why? Oh hell, nobody knows - just do it and see what the PaperWhite does!

I'll bet if I pretend the center of the screen is middle C on my piano and use both hands to try and play Chopin's Nocturne #20 in C-sharp Minor, the display might switch to color or something else equally as entertaining!
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #43
SpencerT
SpencerT began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I was in my local Staples, went to look at the Kindles, and they have/had the Paperwhite on clearance for $35.50.

I called back, to make sure the price was correct, they said it was, so I purchased one (they said it was the last one in stock.)

I assume it is the latest generation, as it says "Now with a 300PPI display" on the box.

Their website doesn't say anything about a clearance, and neither does their Weekly Flyer.

The sales associate didn't have much additional information; usually things on clearance mean a new model is coming out and that other stores would probably also have them on clearance (she offered to call around, I declined).

It had an original price of $119.00.

I took a picture of the display if anyone is interested.

If willing to let it go, Amazon will buy it back for $25.00, and also give 25% off a new order for a kindle. Drop it off at UPS Store and wait for your new waterproof paperwhite for almost the same price you paid for the clearance item. (Or upgrade to Oasis using the 25% to its maximum cash equivalent)
SpencerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:14 AM   #44
SpencerT
SpencerT began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
That's what I was expecting; if it's there, I can't find it.

It's not a matter of having complicated issues; it's just that I have to keep going to the PC to look at the user guide, which is annoying.

I generally don't get this frustrated about technology, but I'm in an especially rotten mood today.

The user manual is in the Paperwhite itself as a file to read and reference when you need it.
SpencerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:15 AM   #45
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerT View Post
The user manual is in the Paperwhite itself as a file to read and reference when you need it.
OK, I've found it, but the only way I could find it was to deregister the device from my account and reset the darn thing--then the manual was the only file in my library.

Otherwise I would have had to search through nearly a thousand books to find it--since registering, which is practically the first thing in the setup process, immediately populated my library with those thousand books. And why would I search for something that I didn't know was there? (Not to mention that after opening the first book to try out, I didn't know how to get out of it and back to the home page without the manual.)

I'm sorry that I'm ranting and getting far afield--I should move to one of the Kindle forums. I'm thinking of just leaving the PW unregistered, in airplane mode, and sideloading de-DRMed files as I plan to read them--seems easier than trying to organize all the books in the Amazon account.