Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-21-2018, 11:09 AM   #1
Kus
Kus began at the beginning.

Device: KT3
Kindle e-reader(KT3) stuck in Bootloop

Dear all,
I'm new to mobileread so I apologize for my ignorance and in great need of your help. I have checked all the resources available (I guess) and pretty sure my kindle is no better than a paper weight. Since no one has posted anything regarding resurrecting a Kindle touch basic 8th edition

I own a Kindle touch 3 basic which is stuck in bootloop due to unknown reason. I think it was when I tried to restart it using power button during one of the lag sessions in koreader, I still curse myself for doing that.
It was running on 5.11.x.x jail-broken by downgrading and then upgrading to latest firmware(5.11.x.x) with MRPI, KUAL, KOReader and that's it.
I think I've read all the threads regarding KT3 but none seem to help or even touch the topic of bootloop. If there is something available related to what I mentioned above, please be generous and point me in that direction.

I hope to receive reply from one of good samaritans.

Thanks for reading
Regards

Kus
Kus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
More details on the exact behavior of the bootloop would help (i.e., what's on screen, how are the leds, does it react to hard-reboots, does it show up over USB, etc.).

That said, without RP+CRP, if you can't get at the USBMS storage, you're generally a tiny bit screwed in these sort of circumstances, which only leaves opening it up & serial access as a recovery method.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:55 PM   #3
Kus

Dear NiLuJe,
Let me first establish that I think you are really cool and other moderators too. I hope to become as good you guys are and probably help people, along the way.
Now coming back to my screw up, I'm linking two videos of reboot by button and bootloop process. That might be helpful for better understanding of my situation.

Reboot by pressing button >>
Bootloop>>
It doesn't show up over USB or else I would've tried factory_reset folder technique. Sadly I wasn't aware about rescue packs either before running into this situation. Well that's a lesson for me-- to do more research about possible when-things-go-south situations. Coming to the last and only option that is to use of serial pins. I think I was already ready for that as you can see in video itself(Removing IR guiding piece of plastic was most difficult task, nearly broke in half). But since no one has directly addressed bootloop and serial port method or any tutorial for KT3, I'm bit nervous to take further step without consulting an expert.
How do I go about serial recovery on KT3?

Thanks for your time

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-26-2018 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Fixed embedded youtube links
Old 10-12-2018, 05:12 AM   #4
Kus

I assume that everyone is busy with their lives but it would be really nice if you could write something in response, I hope I'm not asking too much :-)
Old 10-12-2018, 05:37 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Usually a lack of response means that no-one has any good ideas. But perhaps this thread bump will remind people of your problem.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:18 AM   #6
Kus

Oh, understood. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Serial port recovery is the same for all Kindles running firmware series 5.x.x -
The models mentioned in the serial port debricking title and post(s) are only those used while writing the instructions.
*** Of course, the package filenames change, must match the model ***
*** Except the two Oasis models - no serial port connections have been found ***

Read and follow the included links in the serial port debricking thread -
they will lead you to ways to make the serial port connection without using hot solder.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #8
Kus

If that's the case then I must keep my fear of screwing things-more-than-they-already-are aside and start debricking it.
Soldering is not a problem but I guess a untouched pcb looks better than a soldered one, if that's even a thing.
Thanks again everyone for replies. I may have to pop up here again if I get stuck somewhere.

Peace out