Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-26-2018, 11:53 PM   #1081
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
I keep trying to sync, but the "Date Read" never makes to Goodreads. It's merely shelved as of the date synced... but not marked as read. There's no error message from calibre.
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:31 AM   #1082
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMiko View Post
I keep trying to sync, but the "Date Read" never makes to Goodreads. It's merely shelved as of the date synced... but not marked as read. There's no error message from calibre.
What function of the plugin are you using? The only function with "Sync" in its name is getting the shelf and date from Goodreads. It doesn't send anything to the Goodreads.

But, if you mean the "Add to shelf" function (sends the shelf plus can send the date), it is working here. So, I need information on what is happening. Can run calibre in debug and post the log. And take a screenshot of the dialog just before pressing the "Add to shelf".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:09 AM   #1083
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Beta: Fix date displayed in dialogs

The attached beta is to fix the problem reported by koleary2000. This is where the date read is displayed in the dialogs is a day out. When I investigated, it was a timezone issue in the display. This is a display only problem and doesn't affect the date sent to Goodreads.

As usual, please test and report if there are any problems, or if it does fix the problem.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Goodreads Sync-beta.zip (217.8 KB, 146 views)
Old 01-27-2018, 07:16 AM   #1084
something random
Member Retired
something random began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The attached beta is to fix the problem reported by koleary2000. This is where the date read is displayed in the dialogs is a day out. When I investigated, it was a timezone issue in the display. This is a display only problem and doesn't affect the date sent to Goodreads.

As usual, please test and report if there are any problems, or if it does fix the problem.
Dear David,
I've installed the new beta and everything now seems to be working fine with regard to the "Date Read" shown in the plugin.
Thank you for addressing the error so quickly. Your time and effort are very much appreciated.
Kevin
something random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:13 PM   #1085
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koleary2000 View Post
Dear David,
I've installed the new beta and everything now seems to be working fine with regard to the "Date Read" shown in the plugin.
Thank you for addressing the error so quickly. Your time and effort are very much appreciated.
Good to hear. Unless I hear of a problem, I'll release this sometime during the week.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:14 PM   #1086
smmorris
smmorris began at the beginning.

Device: Android EVO
Having the same problem as ElMiko. Add to shelf appears to work for everything but "Read" books. It just doesn't show the date read.

I can do them manually but I've gotten a little spoiled, doing them manually takes "forever."

Thanks

Sandi
smmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:22 PM   #1087
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmorris View Post
Having the same problem as ElMiko. Add to shelf appears to work for everything but "Read" books. It just doesn't show the date read.
And the response has to be the same as for ElMiko: Its working here. I need more information about what is actually happening. Please post a screenshot to show the dialog and a log from running calibre in debug mode when doing this.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:43 PM   #1088
something random
Member Retired

Date Read changed on Goodreads

Over the last few weeks, Goodreads have been experiencing many errors. I have been trying to follow some of them as it's caused me a lot of trouble updating my books.

When I try to create a new entry on Goodreads using the "Add to shelf" function all the information about the book is uploaded to the website with the exception of the "Date Read" field. I've had to manually edit the book on Goodreads to include the date as it appears blank.

I have reported this in the Goodreads forum and have finally got a reply from one of the Mods. I quote...
"Regarding updating read dates, we've changed the way that dates are stored on Goodreads, so it's likely that Calibre hasn't been updated to handle this. The best option would be to enter the dates directly on Goodreads."

So, I'm afraid it looks like another amendment to the plugin is required to make it fully functional again.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:18 PM   #1089
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Over the last few weeks, Goodreads have been experiencing many errors. I have been trying to follow some of them as it's caused me a lot of trouble updating my books.

When I try to create a new entry on Goodreads using the "Add to shelf" function all the information about the book is uploaded to the website with the exception of the "Date Read" field. I've had to manually edit the book on Goodreads to include the date as it appears blank.

I have reported this in the Goodreads forum and have finally got a reply from one of the Mods. I quote...
"Regarding updating read dates, we've changed the way that dates are stored on Goodreads, so it's likely that Calibre hasn't been updated to handle this. The best option would be to enter the dates directly on Goodreads."

So, I'm afraid it looks like another amendment to the plugin is required to make it fully functional again.
Please, take the answer with a grain of salt. I'm uploading dates with the plugin, with no problem... aside of duplicated read dates. I'm not going to finish a book till tomorrow, but I'll be back with the answer of the test.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:19 PM   #1090
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
BTW, there was a problem around all goodreads site with read date not sticking, that they have just repaired (they say). You can try now.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:58 PM   #1091
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I'm hoping that what Terisa has said is the case and that Goodreads have fixed a problem on their end. But...

As I've said a couple of times recently, this appears to be working for me. I rarely check, but, each time I have checked recently, the date read on Goodreads is set to what I expect. As it works for me, it is very hard for me to find the problem. I need information to do this. I need details of what you are actually doing, and a debug log.

To be actually told what you are doing. Above, you state that you are using the "Add to shelf" function and the "Date read" is not set on Goodreads. You don't say what shelf you are putting the book on. The Date read is only set when the "read" shelf is selected. Is that what you are doing?

It might seem pedantic that I am asking for this level of detail, but I need it. I can't see what you are actually doing, so you have to tell me. And, there have been plenty of times when people say "X isn't working" and when ask, it turns out that they didn't actually do the things need for "X" to work.

The other thing I need is a debug log. Run calibre in debug mode, do the things that aren't working, close calibre and post the contents of the log that is displayed. The log is long and contains lots of information. Usually I can come up with something that is going on from it. Sometimes I can't, so I create a special debug version of the plugin that puts out more details. But, this is the only way I can really see what is happening when the plugin acts.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:01 AM   #1092
something random
Member Retired

Quote:
I'm hoping that what Terisa has said is the case and that Goodreads have fixed a problem on their end. But...

As I've said a couple of times recently, this appears to be working for me. I rarely check, but, each time I have checked recently, the date read on Goodreads is set to what I expect. As it works for me, it is very hard for me to find the problem. I need information to do this. I need details of what you are actually doing, and a debug log.

To be actually told what you are doing. Above, you state that you are using the "Add to shelf" function and the "Date read" is not set on Goodreads. You don't say what shelf you are putting the book on. The Date read is only set when the "read" shelf is selected. Is that what you are doing?

It might seem pedantic that I am asking for this level of detail, but I need it. I can't see what you are actually doing, so you have to tell me. And, there have been plenty of times when people say "X isn't working" and when ask, it turns out that they didn't actually do the things need for "X" to work.

The other thing I need is a debug log. Run calibre in debug mode, do the things that aren't working, close calibre and post the contents of the log that is displayed. The log is long and contains lots of information. Usually I can come up with something that is going on from it. Sometimes I can't, so I create a special debug version of the plugin that puts out more details. But, this is the only way I can really see what is happening when the plugin acts.
I only upload my books to Goodreads after I've read them so I only use the "READ" shelf.
I have attached a couple of screenshots and the log requested. I hope this helps resolve or answer this problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen 1.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	161967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen 2.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	161968  
Attached Files
File Type: txt Calibre Log.txt (6.0 KB, 221 views)
Old 01-31-2018, 08:21 AM   #1093
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I only upload my books to Goodreads after I've read them so I only use the "READ" shelf.
I have attached a couple of screenshots and the log requested. I hope this helps resolve or answer this problem.
The debug log shows no problems. But, it did lead me to how to reproduce the and what the problem is.

It appears, that if you just add the book directly to the "read" shelf, the date finished will not be accepted. From my testing, if I put the book on the currently-reading shelf and then put it on the read shelf, the date finished is accepted.

I've tried several combinations of shelving and reordering the API calls, but this seems to be it. And it agrees with what I have been seeing. When I start a book, I put it on the currently-reading shelve and the appropriate genre shelves I have. That means that when I do put it on the read shelf, the date read is accepted.

I'll have a bit more of a play, but, if this is how it works, I'm not sure if there is anything I can do. Or anything good. The workarounds I can think of are all a bit ugly and mean a lot of extra API calls.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:36 AM   #1094
something random
Member Retired

Quote:
The debug log shows no problems. But, it did lead me to how to reproduce the and what the problem is.

It appears, that if you just add the book directly to the "read" shelf, the date finished will not be accepted. From my testing, if I put the book on the currently-reading shelf and then put it on the read shelf, the date finished is accepted.

I've tried several combinations of shelving and reordering the API calls, but this seems to be it. And it agrees with what I have been seeing. When I start a book, I put it on the currently-reading shelve and the appropriate genre shelves I have. That means that when I do put it on the read shelf, the date read is accepted.

I'll have a bit more of a play, but, if this is how it works, I'm not sure if there is anything I can do. Or anything good. The workarounds I can think of are all a bit ugly and mean a lot of extra API calls.
If I have to add to the currently reading shelf for this to work again then it's really not worth my effort trying to catalogue my books on Goodreads.
I've never had to do this before so clearly something has been changed on the Goodreads site that is causing this glitch with the plugin.
Oh well, it was nice while it lasted but I don't think I will continue with it as I don't have the eye-sight or the patience to keep trying to see if it works.
The plugin seems to be fine for other users so it's up to you if you want to dabble more. Thanks for your response.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:03 AM   #1095
smmorris
smmorris began at the beginning.

Device: Android EVO
Just tested and adding to currently reading and then read resolves the date not showing up problem for me. However, doing that gives me some weird date combinations as the date started is a date after the date read.

I don't use the Currently Reading normally as i will read several (5-6 or more) books before syncing tablet and updating Goodreads.

If it helps here is my method.

Add book to Calibre, update Goodreads to TBR (which does add shelved date.)
Transfer book to tablet (Calibre Companion)
When I select the book to be read in my reading app (Alkido) Calibre Companion marks the book read and fills in the date. This date is not a problem as I normally finish same or next day.
When I sync tablet again my date read is completed in Calibre as part of the syncing process (date as shown in Calibre Companion.)
I mark book read in the Read column (manually created column) fill in rating/review.
I then add to "Read" shelf.
When I look at Goodreads by book status will have changed to read but the date read is not shown. I think the rating also shows up but I don't remember specifically checking.

This may or may not help.

Sandi
smmorris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, goodreads