Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Writer2ePub

Notices

Old 06-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Word to OO to Writer2epub

My workflow is rather peculiar, because I start with DOS WordStar. I then open the *.ws7 file in Word 2000 so as to gain curly quotes and em and en dashes and suchlike modern conveniences. From the *.doc file I have then gone two different routes: I run the *.doc file through word2cleanhtml.com online so as to begin an html version that will become an epub; and at the same time I open the *.doc file in Open Office because I find it easier to manage pagination etc for the print edition and also because the PDF generated by OO is much superior than that from Word.

Now I'm intrigued by Writer2epub, so my question is: since I will be opening a *.doc file in Open Office (and presumably saving as *.odt), are there any issues I'm apt to encounter?

Grazie tante!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator
eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Cybook Bebook iLiad Kindle HanlinV2 Readius SonyPRS500 SonyPRS700 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Now I'm intrigued by Writer2epub, so my question is: since I will be opening a *.doc file in Open Office (and presumably saving as *.odt), are there any issues I'm apt to encounter?

You can open a .doc file in OpenOffice/LibreOffice and save it as .odt, then start conversion with W2E.

Just note:
– no text or image frame support: if you have frame please extract your content and remove the frame (the support to frames will be done in the next century )
– check that images are anchored to paragraphs.
– check the correct position of the anchors (you can have the image inside a paragraph but anchored in another one!)
– fill out the metadata window
– remove headers and footers
– remove indexes if present

Luke
eBookLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:44 AM   #3
abeonis
eBook DIYer
abeonis began at the beginning.

Device: K4, KF HD 8.9, Readium
Seems the right topic for my curent quest. My current DIYer flow is the the following:
MS-Word > html > ePub (script) > Sigil > ePub to mobi'ePub (script) > Kindlegen > mobi

Everything works wonderfully for my specific needs except MS-Word > html. Ideally, I should benchmark all the currently available tools. Alternatively I could read all threads here ... I am not lazy but I still have a lot of things to do and limited time (my ebooks are not the ending point but the starting point of something bigger). I could easily spend all my life evaluating.

I have noticed that professionals and advanced users frequently use the combination LO > writer2xhtml or some variations, OO or writer2epub. I am mainly interested in HTML, If the tool creates an epub, I will have to unzip the files anyway.

My new flow could be (to be finetuned):
MS-Word > OL > html > ePub (script) > Sigil > ePub to mobi'ePub (script) > Kindlegen > mobi

Some specific characteristics of my eBooks/flow:
  • eBooks are created from a big MS-Word legacy. I must be prepared to a lot of conversions to OL (hopefully in batch mode). SR Regex inside OL for correction is OK.
  • Presentation is similar to the "For dummies" series (No fiction books), except I don't use tables, I replace them by text or graphics. I don't use stylish stuff like floating images, embedded fonts, etc. I go directly to the point (no fiction verbage) My readers/customers expect concrete solutions to their specific problems. The presentation is always the same for all ebooks. 1 master CSS for epub, another one for mobi/kf8.
  • I am my own and unique client, I do not have to worry about a badly formatted MS-Word file. I am wise enough to follow my flow rules. If the flow works for one eBook, it will work for all as long as I respect these rules.
  • I control my flow using intensively AHK_L scripting language (no human errors and increased productivity) and I am a command line lover (Windows 7 OS). My leit motiv here is "systemize the routine, humanize the exception".
I would like to avoid some pitfalls like moving the problem from MS-Word > HTML to MS-Word > OL or discover that the generated HTML is not cleaner than the MS-Word filtered HTML one or is simply broken. I use AHK_L regex here with the HTML code.

So ... I will appreciate any unbiased advice. Please put yourself in my shoes and let me know whether I should invest time on an evaluation and be pleasantly surprised.

Many thanks.

Last edited by abeonis; 06-07-2013 at 04:21 AM. Reason: I speak english like a spanish cow or a french duck
abeonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:02 AM   #4
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator
eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Cybook Bebook iLiad Kindle HanlinV2 Readius SonyPRS500 SonyPRS700 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeonis View Post
Seems the right topic for my current quest…
Hi,

W2E will do all you need.
Just open a .doc in LO or OOo and save it in .odt format. Fill the metadata window, ensure that Kindlegen is installed and linked in the W2E preferences and press the generation button.
You'll get both EPUB and Mobipocket files…

If you like, send to me one of your books in .odt, I will help to you to understand the best .odt formatting for best results.

Don't use images instead of tables: W2E handles tables, but the best choice is to avoid tables at all (tables are just one of many way to display structured data…)

Luke
eBookLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:33 AM   #5
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBookLuke View Post
If you like, send to me one of your books in .odt, I will help to you to understand the best .odt formatting for best results.
I will! Thank you very much for your offer. Not an entire book, but a test case containing all my needs. Please give me some time and let me discover by myself. I will probably have smarter questions then.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
abeonis, I would like to confirm what Luke has said.

I was given the family archive, in word doc format, and asked if I could turn it into an epub - I usually create epub service manuals for industry. Not having windows OS or word I used LibreOffice to open the word files and set them in order as well as cleaning up the formatting. Then W2E produced the epub.

I then used Sigil to add pictures - sorry Luke but it was easier - validate the resulting epub, job finished, family happy..
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
abeonis, I would like to confirm what Luke has said.
Salut Ivan,
Sorry, I didn't finish the eval. When I saw I was starting to learn LO, I thought something was wrong. I want a MS-Word > KDP compliant mobi push button solution, with Sigil if debugging is needed, nothing else. However, Writer2epub has a very good reputation, If you already use OO or LO, it should be OK.

Last edited by abeonis; 06-13-2013 at 11:05 PM.