Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #541
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
Any ideas on where one would be able to search for and buy a kindle Oasis 2 battery? Chinese or otherwise?
The battery is not replaceable unless you utterly destroy the Oasis 2....

My Oasis is on its way back to Amazon, should have a replacement one by next week. My expectations are very low, battery-wise, but I’ll be keeping it whatever happens. (Or I’ll sell it privately and buy a new Paperwhite!).
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #542
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
Yes but it dosen't address the problem, if you start with a battery that drains quickly and top everyday or do a full charge, the result will be going from bad to worse. i wonder where it will be a year from now ? So far it works well.
Yes, I was strictly addressing the comments made about topping it up constantly vs letting it drain down then recharging. If, for example, you are using 70% of the battery capacity every day and charging it fully, that's going to wear the battery out sooner than if it takes you a week to use 70% (at 70%/day that would be equivalent of 490% over the course of a week).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:31 PM   #543
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Yes, I was strictly addressing the comments made about topping it up constantly vs letting it drain down then recharging. If, for example, you are using 70% of the battery capacity every day and charging it fully, that's going to wear the battery out sooner than if it takes you a week to use 70% (at 70%/day that would be equivalent of 490% over the course of a week).
That's true.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:34 PM   #544
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
When it comes time to replace the battery, I'm going to look hard for a Japanese replacement before I roll the dice on a Chinese one.
Has anyone been able to open a 7" Oasis without destroying it?
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:14 AM   #545
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Just curious as to why you leave wifi on. Is it absolutely necessary? My pw battery would only last a few days with wifi. I always turn it off. With it off I get 3 weeks and I read at least 4 hours a day. The pw is about 3 or 4 years old so it’s no spring chicken.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:24 AM   #546
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
Just curious as to why you leave wifi on. Is it absolutely necessary? My pw battery would only last a few days with wifi. I always turn it off. With it off I get 3 weeks and I read at least 4 hours a day. The pw is about 3 or 4 years old so it’s no spring chicken.
I leave wifi on because I really like the wikipedia lookup, and that only works when the wifi is on. I also read on multiple devices, so syncing is important to me. I get a little over a week on my Oasis, reading for a few hours per day, with the font size usually set to between 6 and 10, and the light at about 9. Somewhere, I think in this thread, is a detailed account of my battery usage on my Oasis.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:30 PM   #547
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
The PW4 has a much better battery life. Its still stuck indexing but only lost 5% battery life compared to the oasis which would just drain a slow death indexing
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #548
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
The PW4 has a much better battery life. Its still stuck indexing but only lost 5% battery life compared to the oasis which would just drain a slow death indexing
Wow, that’s great news. I’m seriously tempted to get one for traveling... Five months at just a little over $20 a month on installments is a good deal.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:10 PM   #549
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Voyage, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Yay for you! Glad to see that it is working out better for you. It looks like a great device other than not having page flip buttons which is something I would prefer.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:45 PM   #550
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
Yay for you! Glad to see that it is working out better for you. It looks like a great device other than not having page flip buttons which is something I would prefer.
I am going mad. it is day 4 and I still have 167 out of 400 and something books that is indexing.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:57 PM   #551
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I don't have a PW4, so I'm extrapolating previous experience... if the Kindle is unplugged, it's probably going to hibernation, and will not finish indexing unless frequently woken up and put back to sleep.. This is what the Oasis2 *should* do when given a big bunch of books.

To summarize simply,, if you load a bunch of books on a new Kindle, leave it plugged in for a few hours. A charger is best, (for simplicity, no real difference otherwise.), but if you using a PC, "Eject" the device from the comptuer operating system, and use the power button (or sleep cover) to put it to sleep. It will finish indexing in record time.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #552
Pjama
Guru

Received my replacement Oasis, which is refurbished, and has software version 5.9.6.1, which I think is the last version I got decent battery life with, of up to a week. So I've blocked wifi updates on it and we'll see how it goes. I'm very optimistic now. Plus, I have my font settings back on the right hand side of the screen.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #553
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's good to hear, the PW4 my husband has is the same with audio books. It goes down slowly, not like a zip line on my Oasis2. He's happy with it. He just gave me his Voyage, so now I have a backup to my backup Voyage. I think I'm good for the next 20 years.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #554
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Received my replacement Oasis, which is refurbished, and has software version 5.9.6.1, which I think is the last version I got decent battery life with, of up to a week. So I've blocked wifi updates on it and we'll see how it goes. I'm very optimistic now. Plus, I have my font settings back on the right hand side of the screen.
That's great Pjama !
Old 11-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #555
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What aspect of the operation of the device do you think would drain the battery more quickly with a lot of books loaded? I currently have 9228 books on my Oasis and haven't noticed any shortening of battery life as the number of books has increased.
It was certainly true in the pre-5.8 days (with the old terrible indexer) that every device awaken after a USB attachment would revalidate the search indexes, and since the index size scales roughly with the number of distinct words in all your documents, it is roughly the case that each awakening of the Kindle after USB attach would consume more power the more books you had.

This is probably mostly of concern to heavy Calibre users, and honestly even they probably only USB-attach occasionally to add more books. I doubt I USB-attach more than four times a year, so this scaling concern is not relevant to me any more. (If it even still applies after the indexer rewrite.)

I'd be more concerned if it did this revalidation on every reawaken, but that would be crazy, so surely they're not doing that (ha ha hark at the naive idiot who was born yesterday).
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery life, koa2