Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-14-2018, 09:39 PM   #31
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Is there some reason one would need a reader with no built-in wifi equipment, as opposed to just turning off wifi on a reader that has it?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:12 PM   #32
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Is there some reason one would need a reader with no built-in wifi equipment, as opposed to just turning off wifi on a reader that has it?
Apparently government security in certain situations wants any possible transmissions to be impossible. When I worked at Navy's CINCLANTFLT HQ in Norfolk all the computers were installed in RF Proof Faraday Cage rooms to prevent any RF escape. This was about 15 years or so before electronics was required to meet RFI emissions standards. If 3G and Wi-Fi are totally disabled people cannot inadvertently mess up. To err is human is very true.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #33
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMOP View Post
Yes, but not new for $30...and since this is for backup use, I'll hope it suffices. I actually really like my Kindle Paperwhite, and my Kindle Readers, but I'll not have wasted much if this isn't useful.
I picked up a new PRS-350 for $60 and a barely used one for $21 including the lighted cover. If you do not insist on NIB there are bargains out there for the PRS-350. My used one could not be told from new. Both had never been updated as I recall so I updated the firmware.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:40 AM   #34
julianabr
julianabr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I was able to get a used sony prs 600 for about $30, which seems pretty good so far. And i am loving loading it w calibre! I can manage my collections in the app, which you can’t do for kindle.

As far as no wifi, in my case my son is attending a program where no wifi enabled devices are allowed in their dorms (computers are locked away at night). So i’ve been tripping through memory lane searching out the last ipod nano and this ereader, so he can read and listen to music in the evening. I love old tech and have quite a collection already, so when he doesn’t need it anymore, i get to add it to my mini museum.

Of course, just for kicks i may search out some of these outlying ereaders just to have for me.

Thanks again everyone!

Juliana
julianabr is offline   Reply With Quote