Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-08-2019, 12:19 AM   #1
apastuszak
Addict
apastuszak can decode base 64 without using a pencil.apastuszak can decode base 64 without using a pencil.apastuszak can decode base 64 without using a pencil.apastuszak can decode base 64 without using a pencil.apastuszak can decode base 64 without using a pencil.apastuszak can decode base 64 without using a pencil.apastuszak can decode base 64 without using a pencil.apastuszak can decode base 64 without using a pencil.apastuszak can decode base 64 without using a pencil.apastuszak can decode base 64 without using a pencil.apastuszak can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Is there anywhere in the US where you can buy a Clara HD Retail?

I have a friend coming over on Sunday and my choices are the Kobo Clara HD and the Kindle Paperwhite. From my research, I like the Clara HD better, but I do think the Paperwhite is a good reader also.

The problem is, I have to buy this thing tomorrow or Sunday. I called Rakuten, and they told me you can buy Kobos at Best Buy and Walmart. I called every Best Buy and Walmart near me and none of them have any Kobo readers. Called them back again and the woman on the phone told me she can clearly see them for sale on Walmart's website. My attempt to explain that those are all third party sellers went on deaf ears.

Are these available retail anywhere?
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:56 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
They are NOT 3rd party sellers. Walmart gets them Direct from Kobo. And sells them thru their Website. Same as the Amazon PW4 at Best Buy.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2019, 04:31 AM   #3
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Kindle PW3, Kobo Aura One
I looked and the 3rd party sellers do come up first when I search for Kobo Clara. However, there is a link on the bottom of the product page to other sellers. One of them is Walmart.

Edited to add that this is what shows local to me (NY). I would assume that your list may be different depending on the location where you are searching.

Last edited by Mikou; 06-08-2019 at 04:34 AM.
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:08 PM   #4
apastuszak
Addict
apastuszak can decode base 64 without using a pencil.apastuszak can decode base 64 without using a pencil.apastuszak can decode base 64 without using a pencil.apastuszak can decode base 64 without using a pencil.apastuszak can decode base 64 without using a pencil.apastuszak can decode base 64 without using a pencil.apastuszak can decode base 64 without using a pencil.apastuszak can decode base 64 without using a pencil.apastuszak can decode base 64 without using a pencil.apastuszak can decode base 64 without using a pencil.apastuszak can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

But they're only sold online. I can walk into Best Buy right now and get any Kindle I want, instantly. And Barnes and Noble will let me walk out with a nook. No such luck with the Kobo.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, HDX 8.9, AuraHD, NookHD+, Kindle 2,3,T, Opus, iPhone 6, +
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
I called Rakuten, and they told me you can buy Kobos at Best Buy and Walmart. I called every Best Buy and Walmart near me and none of them have any Kobo readers. Called them back again and the woman on the phone told me she can clearly see them for sale on Walmart's website. My attempt to explain that those are all third party sellers went on deaf ears.

Are these available retail anywhere?
To the best of my knowledge there is nowhere you can just drop in and buy a Clara today (I guess it's possible that in a few select markets Walmart has them in store). Best Buy in the US hasn't carried Kobo in years, AFAIK Best Buy in Canada still does. Kindle can be found at BestBuy, Target and many Staples & Office Max/Depot stores. They've also been available at Whole Foods, although that may have been only during the holidays. Nook of course can be had at B&N stores.

Back in the early days of Kobo devices they were sold at B&M stores in the US (BestBuy, Borders, Frys), but that availability started dying of with the demise of Borders in 2011 (IIRC BestBuy dropped them around this time too). Then for a while they could be found at Family Christian stores (they went into bankruptcy around 2015 IIRC, but had dropped Kobo's by then). Then Kobo setup a deal around 2013 where indie bookstores could sell their devices. Other than a few specific situations/stores in a few cities this never really took off. Then Kobo and Walmart teamed up fairly recently, but it doesn't seem to be a full on effort.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-08-2019 at 05:52 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #6
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Pro 10.5"; iPhone 7; Kobo H2O2; Kindle PW-4
I bought a Forma through the Walmart website and it came in a day, but it might depend on where you're located.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #7
apastuszak
Addict

My friend just called and is NOT coming over tomorrow. She'll be coming over next weekend. That gives me time to order the Kobo and get a case for it.

The Clara HD is $129. The Paperwhite 4 is $129.

BUT, the PaperWhite 4 includes ads for the price and only has 4 GB of RAM. The Clara HD has no ads and comes with 8 GB of RAM.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:34 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
BUT, the PaperWhite 4 includes ads for the price and only has 4 GB of RAM. The Clara HD has no ads and comes with 8 GB of RAM.
Just to clarify. The Clara has 8GB of storage, not RAM ($129.99). The PW4 has 8GB or 32GB of storage depending on the version purchased (8GB currently on sale for $99.99 with ads or $119.99 without, 32GB on sale for $129.99/149.99). To the best of my knowledge both have 512MB of RAM.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-08-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:45 PM   #9
apastuszak
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Just to clarify. The Clara has 8GB of storage, not RAM ($129.99). The PW4 has 8GB or 32GB of storage depending on the version purchased (8GB currently on sale for $99.99 with ads or $119.99 without, 32GB on sale for $129.99/149.99). To the best of my knowledge both have 512MB of RAM.
My bad. You are correct. Not RAM, but storage.

Did the Paperwhite just go on sale today? I was looking at it yesterday and it was $129.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:53 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:

Did the Paperwhite just go on sale today? I was looking at it yesterday and it was $129.
Don't know, just noticed the sale pricing when I was looking a few minutes ago.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:59 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:

Looks like they just started the Father's Day sale on Kindles. Mother's Day was $10 cheaper for the PW4.

This a better price gap between KT4 and PW4 though.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:57 AM   #12
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
If one is willing to void the warranty, the Clara internal microSD card can be replaced with a larger one, for example 32GB. I have 128GB in mine. However, 8GB is probably sufficient unless your friend is buying a lot of manga or cookbooks.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:50 AM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Kindle PW 4 you can Buy with the 32 gig of storage. Is on sale for $129 ... the 8 gig of storage Is on Sale for $99. The 8 gig You can walk into Best Buy & pick up.

I thinking this is a Gift... So you really need to Buy the e-reader for Where she buys her e-books.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:49 AM   #14
apastuszak
Addict

She uses the library to get her eBooks mostly. She has an original Kindle Paperwhite now, and it more concerned with being able to sideload content than which ecosystem it is in.

The Kindle prices are good, but those incluse ads.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #15
apastuszak
Addict

Oh, and the Kobo does have one advantage. You can create collections with it through Calibre.

And it does ePub instead of azw3.