Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-11-2019, 09:42 AM   #196
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't know what "Neonode zForce" means...
Neonode zForce was one of my favorite shows as a kid
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:55 PM   #197
Renate
Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Nook Glow2
Quote:
I don't know what "Neonode zForce" means
Neonode is the company, zForce is their scheme of using IR interruption for touch.

The original Nook Simple Touch exposed internal values from the driver as:
/sys/devices/platform/i2c_omap.2/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/2-0050/ledlevel
If I remember correctly, it actually used a TI MSP430 to do the scanning.

The Glow3 uses the NN1001 (main controller) and NN2003 (expander?) chips.
The Glow 3 had the driver here, but no usable values:
/sys/devices/platform/imx-i2c.1/i2c-1/1-0050

The values are useful as I had a little app to visualize the IR paths to help you determine where the cruft had collected in the bezel.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:15 PM   #198
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, PW2, Galaxy Tab S
This looks really good. Does the nook software allow you to sideload your own fonts? The good e reader review makes no mention of it.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:35 PM   #199
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
This looks really good. Does the nook software allow you to sideload your own fonts? The good e reader review makes no mention of it.
AFAIR, none of the B&N Nook eInk ereaders allow adding fonts other than by embedding them in the epub file.

OTOH, I have now read comments/reviews that have stated the new Nook 7.8" is lighter than the Kobo Aura One or Kobo Forma—evidently, 297gms is now lighter than 230gms (KA1) or 197gms (KF), has a bigger screen than either Kobo product and that embedding fonts using calibre is a superior solution to Amazon or Kobo devices that allow you to sideload fonts making them available to any book that doesn't lock font selection.

Makes you appreciate Nate even more.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #200
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
Quote:
Thanks for the link. Good E-Reader is not normally my first stop, but this seems to be a pretty complete review. One thing mentioned in the review is that the Glowlight 7.8 does use IR not capacitive touch.

It does not have a capacitive touchscreen display, instead it is employing Neonode zForce IR.

I don't know what "Neonode zForce" means, but this would probably account for the fact that the screen looks almost identical in clarity to its smaller brother, the Glowlight 3.
Apparently some type of IR that only works with your finger or a capacitive stylus.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #201
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Neonode zForce was one of my favorite shows as a kid
I just realized Neonode used to make cell phones. One of their earlier touch screen models was used in the Android/Apple lawsuits to show that Apple hadn't been the first to ... something ... I think implement the swiping gesture. It's been too long ago to remember for sure.

So does anyone know if "zForce IR" is any different than the IR we've been using for years?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:07 PM   #202
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Apparently some type of IR that only works with your finger or a capacitive stylus.
Are you saying it is actually capacitive (as first reported)?
Old 06-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #203
binaryhermit
Guru
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen, Kindle Keyboard with 3g
Given the number of reviews that I've seen (goodereader, pcmag or whatever it was, that youtube review, which as far as I can tell is still the only video review) I don't think that's a good sign for the nook ecosystem.

Then again, B&N didn't seem to handle the launch well.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:43 AM   #204
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Given the number of reviews that I've seen (goodereader, pcmag or whatever it was, that youtube review, which as far as I can tell is still the only video review) I don't think that's a good sign for the nook ecosystem.

Then again, B&N didn't seem to handle the launch well.
Still, it's odd that there are almost no reviews on a new 7.8" eReader. Barnes & Noble may not have much of their market share left, but their share is still bigger than Kobo's in the U.S. and Kobo seems to get a lot more press.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:55 AM   #205
binaryhermit
Guru
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen, Kindle Keyboard with 3g
Are you sure nook still has more marketshare given kobo's walmart partnership?
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:59 AM   #206
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
Quote:
Are you saying it is actually capacitive (as first reported)?
Yes. The Glowlight 3 is IR and the new Glowlight Plus is capacitive.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:45 AM   #207
kova4a
kova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3
Quote:
Where did you get this info from? If it indeed has Neonode zForce IR then
it uses infrared emitters and there is no capacitive layer on the screen

Btw, Goodereader posted a comparison video of the new GL Plus and and Forma yesterday

Last edited by kova4a; 06-13-2019 at 06:50 AM.
kova4a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:56 AM   #208
Renate
Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Renate taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Nook Glow2
What I said before about the Nook Simple Touch and Glow3 being IR is true.

The Glow4 (7.8") is capacitive using the "Kotl" brand capacitive sensor.
It has nothing to do with Neonode or zForce
This is based on a teardown that I did.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #209
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
It's been too long since I've been on MR! An entire reader has been announced and released and I missed the whole thing. My, those bezels. I guess the side bezels are sort of necessary but please the top and bottom are way too chunky. Looks like an ereader from 2010.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:57 PM   #210
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Okay. Thanks for the clarification. So Good-EReader got it wrong.

EDIT: I see by what Renate wrote that "they" definitely got it wrong.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-13-2019 at 05:00 PM.