Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-09-2019, 04:51 AM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
(This seems to be my 'Listen to Hitch" day )

Take some time and 'smell the code' side of an EPUB you like the look of.
For most part (the main body of text), the basic novel, the code is really simple to style. ((this is called: 'Reverse Engineering" in my real line of work)) I was shocked, when I looked at the code of some of the early books from the "Baen Free Library". "That's it?" about a dozen lines in the style sheet(s) for the novel

All most need, is styles for :
First Paragraph
Subsequent paragraphs
New Scene (scene break treatment)
The trickier stuff is rare:
stuff like:
News Headlines
Signs
Handwritten notes or letters
Even that, usually is just another, simple style.

The fun (and this is where I like to play), is Chapter Headings. I like to give the a bit of uniqueness. That is NOT required. You could jus make them bold or a little bigger font (but that is booooring )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:55 PM   #17
lumpynose
Fanatic
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eBookMan EBM-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
(This seems to be my 'Listen to Hitch" day )

Take some time and 'smell the code' side of an EPUB you like the look of.
For most part (the main body of text), the basic novel, the code is really simple to style. ((this is called: 'Reverse Engineering" in my real line of work)) I was shocked, when I looked at the code of some of the early books from the "Baen Free Library". "That's it?" about a dozen lines in the style sheet(s) for the novel

All most need, is styles for :
First Paragraph
Subsequent paragraphs
New Scene (scene break treatment)
The trickier stuff is rare:
stuff like:
News Headlines
Signs
Handwritten notes or letters
Even that, usually is just another, simple style.

The fun (and this is where I like to play), is Chapter Headings. I like to give the a bit of uniqueness. That is NOT required. You could jus make them bold or a little bigger font (but that is booooring )
Great suggestions.

Something I've started going is using nesting in order to not need class= on so many html elements. For example, for paragraphs I have

Code:
body > p {
    text-indent: 1.5em;
}
Then in the html I can use plain unadorned p tags, instead of what I often see, every p element having class="pindent". Then for the paragraphs following an h element I have

Code:
header + p {
    text-indent: 0em;
}
So no "pindent" class on those p elements, and the h elements are wrapped in a header element,

Code:
<header class="chapter">
  <h2>Chapter 1</h2>
</header>
And I have different css classes for various different types of headers.

Makes for a nice lean and clean html.

Last edited by lumpynose; 06-09-2019 at 09:04 PM.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #18
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zohaib Ahmed View Post
Hello
Everyone I am new in Amazon kindle formatting whenever I convert ms word file into mobi file via Calibre software i have lost all formatting especially Title page formatting, TOC shape , and some times Main headings also so which way will be easy for converting ms word file in to mobi file.
Well, perfection is elusive. But I've never regarded a Calibre-generated book as anything approaching perfect. Personally, I use Sigil to build an epub, since epub not only works on every online bookseller but also converts beautifully on Amazon's KDP platform. But if you are stuck in the Word level, the thing to do is to learn how to use heading and paragraph styles, and then upload the Word document without any conversion whatever. For pointers, see my blog post at https://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com/2015...ublishing.html
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote