Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-04-2019, 01:12 PM   #1
rogueconnecticut
rogueconnecticut knows how to choose the perfect melonrogueconnecticut knows how to choose the perfect melonrogueconnecticut knows how to choose the perfect melonrogueconnecticut knows how to choose the perfect melonrogueconnecticut knows how to choose the perfect melonrogueconnecticut knows how to choose the perfect melonrogueconnecticut knows how to choose the perfect melonrogueconnecticut knows how to choose the perfect melonrogueconnecticut knows how to choose the perfect melonrogueconnecticut knows how to choose the perfect melonrogueconnecticut knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Kindle
What do with furniture when moving?

Hey guys,

So I've decided that I'll be leaving my NYC apartment in 3-4 months, but what I'm most worried about is what I'll do with all my furniture and things :/ I plan on leaving the apartment and traveling for perhaps 3 months, so I'm thinking if I should either put the items into storage or sell or just give them away Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Stephen
rogueconnecticut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
When I was in the Navy I had a shipmate who had been forced into a three year extension before he could retire. He had a home and family in Idaho, but was living in a senior enlisted barracks room (basically a studio apartment) in San Diego.

He once told me that if they'd let him retire he'd be out of the gate that afternoon.

I said "But it would take you longer than that to get your stuff out of your room."

He said "It's just stuff, I can get more stuff."

I've remembered that and have tried to live by it for nearly 40 years now.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2019, 01:54 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Selling give you Traveling money.... Storing will give you a bill.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If the replacement cost exceeds the cost of storage put it in storage.

Or find someone you trust to live in your apartment, and contribute towards the rent etc, while you're away.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:13 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Too many variables. Where will you live when you're done traveling? Will you need furniture then? What about the other belongings? It may be cheaper to store your stuff than to have to buy it again, especially if it enough to fill an apartment.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2019, 03:14 PM   #6
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If the replacement cost exceeds the cost of storage put it in storage.
BR
Agreed. Though if you have an opportunity to sell the items quickly for a decent price you could do that instead.

If the furniture and other items are cheap and easily replaceable then you might consider giving them away to avoid the hassle of moving them to storage.

I assume you're talking about items that are not family heirlooms. If you have family who would be upset that you're giving away Grandma's rocking chair (or whatever) then take that into consideration!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:10 AM   #7
rogueconnecticut
rogueconnecticut knows how to choose the perfect melonrogueconnecticut knows how to choose the perfect melonrogueconnecticut knows how to choose the perfect melonrogueconnecticut knows how to choose the perfect melonrogueconnecticut knows how to choose the perfect melonrogueconnecticut knows how to choose the perfect melonrogueconnecticut knows how to choose the perfect melonrogueconnecticut knows how to choose the perfect melonrogueconnecticut knows how to choose the perfect melonrogueconnecticut knows how to choose the perfect melonrogueconnecticut knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Kindle
Yeah my biggest fear is that the short term solution is to sell everything, but then buying everything again will be super expensive I'll move back to NYC when i'm done traveling, but that could be at least 5 months of pure backpacking! As for storage, think the prices here are fairly reasonable for New York?

https://www.boxie24.com/en-us/self-storage-bronx

i'm thinking it would be the 'Medium' option, as there are a lot of things :////

There are some things that are hard to replace, but some of it is IKEA or whatever. Decisions decisions

Last edited by rogueconnecticut; 02-11-2019 at 07:08 AM.
rogueconnecticut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #8
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Since you will need storage for your personal items, find that first and select the furniture that will fit in that. Then sell everything else.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:51 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueconnecticut View Post
Decisions decisions
If you dispose of everything now, then on your return you can adopt a minimalist approach to life.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:21 PM   #10
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
If it's the same in the US as in the UK there are charities that will pick up and pass on any serviceable furniture that you are only going to throw away.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote