Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 06-20-2015, 04:06 PM   #16
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
BTW: in the last post I said series searches were seriously broken. It is worse than that. Somehow I didn't put the series name into the metadata stored in CC. I will make a new release tomorrow that fixes it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:13 PM   #17
Thomas_AR
Zealot
Thomas_AR began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I cannot repeat this. Steps I used:
  1. Create an empty library in Dropbox
  2. Reset CC's cloud connection information
  3. Connect to cloud
  4. Select the empty library in folder navigation
I see an empty library. What did you do that was different?
exactly the same. Will check it again.

Quote:
I will consider adding a "Change Library" function to the CC Cloud menu. It will close CC cloud, forcing you to navigate to the new folder on the next start. I won't add the ability to do it without closing CC Cloud because there is too much state that depends on the current library.
Great

Quote:
I am surprised that it found anything. Series searches are seriously broken. I will fix this in the next release.
It found only the first book as the title of it is also "Ark Royal"

Quote:
In CC's library, wherever that is. The intent is that you use CC to read the book, not a file manager.
1. To read? Making CC a epub/ebook reader?
2. I do not think storing the downloaded book in the CC library is a good idea as for example everybody uses different ways to store the books in the library, when they got send from Calibre to the device with CC.
For example i store series "_series/_series-number - title" other books with no series "author/title - author". Solution would be to use/import the same template for that as in Calibre.
Further I do not know if than Calibre recognizes the downloaded book on the device as "on device" when connecting them both.
Thomas_AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2015, 11:53 PM   #18
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_AR View Post
1. To read? Making CC a epub/ebook reader?
No. I mean using CC as it was designed, as a library manager. You find the book in CC and launch the reader app from there.
Quote:
2. I do not think storing the downloaded book in the CC library is a good idea as for example everybody uses different ways to store the books in the library, when they got send from Calibre to the device with CC.
For example i store series "_series/_series-number - title" other books with no series "author/title - author". Solution would be to use/import the same template for that as in Calibre.
The entire point of CC Cloud is to put books into CC's library. That will not change.

The problem of filenames has been in the CC content server connection for years. It seems that most users do not care, but some do.

CC Cloud uses the same naming algorithm used by CC content server (title - author) or the book's UUID (if set in settings). If the user checks the setting "Use calibre file names" (an option added last year IIRC) then in many (but most assuredly not all) cases the content server can get access to the template. This is not possible for CC Cloud.

Implementing calibre's template language in CC is far too hard especially for the limited benefit, so the general solution of "copy calibre's template" is not available. I am willing to consider a small subset of the language, for example templates that contain constant text and the following substitution variables:
  • {series}
  • {series_index}
  • {authors}
  • {first_author} (what in calibre would be {authors:sublist(0,1,&)}
  • {title} (the real title complete with leading articles)
  • {title_sort}
  • {id}
I am also willing to handle the prefix and suffix stuff, but not the format qualifier. In other words, I think I can deal with templates containing {column:|text|text}.

Some notes:
  • This proposal will not allow you to duplicate your calibre template. It does not have enough "power" to generate such widely varying template results.
  • If the path must be shortened (for various reasons the result of the template is limited to 210 characters) then it is certain that calibre and CC will use different algorithms and generate different results.
  • Calibre does very complex things with non-ASCII letters, for example most accented letters, something that CC won't do, again generating different file names.
For these reasons I am not at all convinced that doing this work is worth the effort.

As an alternative to the above, I could add an option forcing CC Cloud to ask you where to put the book in CC's library. That would give you total control, but it would also mean that "Download all" would need to be permanently disabled because no user interaction is possible.
Quote:
Further I do not know if than Calibre recognizes the downloaded book on the device as "on device" when connecting them both.
It does.

Last edited by chaley; 06-20-2015 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:29 AM   #19
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

V4.0.0b has been published

Changes:
  • Add Change Library menu line
  • Add an "Are you sure" dialog if downloading a book will overwrite one in the library
  • [BUG FIX]Fix "Download all" being enabled in incorrect places
  • [BUG FIX]Fix "cloud first letter count" preference not updating on parent screen after a change
  • [BUG FIX]Fix series being left out of CC metadata
Old 06-21-2015, 06:52 AM   #20
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Could people who are interested in how CC generates file names take a look at this thread?
Advert
Old 06-21-2015, 10:46 AM   #21
peekpoke
Enthusiast
peekpoke began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/Android
Testing with OneDrive.

I used mover.io to copy my /CalibreLibrary from GoogleDrive to OneDrive.

I had problems with the login screen, would not allow me to paste a password. I ended up logging in via Chrome ahead of time, then when CC launches the login URL it's already logged in and asks permission for CC to access OneDrive.

Whenever I touch Connect -> to Cloud, I get this error under the Choose calibre library folder:
Something has gone wrong. Operation Ignored.

The current path is shown as "/", and it not touchable (nothing happens), so I cannot edit it.
The Up/Back button the busy circle animation goes for a couple seconds, and then I get the same "Something has gone wrong. Operation Ignored." error.

I tried resetting the cloud connection, made no difference.

In the debug log, the error appears to be:
2015-06-21 10:12:49.314: FolderGetter doInBackground
retrofit.RetrofitError: com.a.b.q: java.lang.NumberFormatException: Expected an int but was 6841330816 at line 1 column 770 path $.value[0].size

I have emailed you the debug log adding the text "OneDrive problem" to the end of the subject.
peekpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #22
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekpoke View Post
Testing with OneDrive.

I used mover.io to copy my /CalibreLibrary from GoogleDrive to OneDrive.

I had problems with the login screen, would not allow me to paste a password. I ended up logging in via Chrome ahead of time, then when CC launches the login URL it's already logged in and asks permission for CC to access OneDrive.
The login screen is shown in a web browser. CC has nothing to do with it. I have no idea why the browser won't accept pastes. Perhaps Microsoft set some sort of attribute to prevent that.
Quote:
Whenever I touch Connect -> to Cloud, I get this error under the Choose calibre library folder:
[...]
retrofit.RetrofitError: com.a.b.q: java.lang.NumberFormatException: Expected an int but was 6841330816 at line 1 column 770 path $.value[0].size
It looks like it is stumbling over a 6GB file. I mistakenly thought the size field was the number of children, but it can also be the size of files. Do you have a 6GB file there somewhere?
Old 06-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #23
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I can't manage to authorize on LTE. I was getting the same problem on wifi. Let me know if you want the debug log.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1434909479482.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	139488
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:08 PM   #24
Thomas_AR
Zealot
Thomas_AR began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Installed the latest version.

- Switching between different databases works nice.

Suggestion: Can you add the feature that CC remembers the paths between the different Databases and remember their name, like Calibre does? It would be easier to switch between them (of course you have to disconnect and connect again as now).
Also i see that CC Cloud stores only the last database accessed on the device. Perhaps it may be better to store the different databases in sub-folders (names of database). So it would also quicker for CC cloud to check if database was changed in the cloud instead of downloading it again.
Thomas_AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:30 PM   #25
peekpoke
Enthusiast
peekpoke began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/Android
Quote:
It looks like it is stumbling over a 6GB file. I mistakenly thought the size field was the number of children, but it can also be the size of files. Do you have a 6GB file there somewhere?
The largest file in the CalibreLibrary folder is 96MB.
6GB is the size of the entire folder, all files combined.

So I assume instead of the count of files, it's a total byte count for a folder's contents.
peekpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #26
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I can't manage to authorize on LTE. I was getting the same problem on wifi. Let me know if you want the debug log.

Attachment 139488
What browser are you using? The same problem happens with Dolphin and the standard browser for my phone, but it works with Chrome (checked). It looks like the problem is sending the answer for CC Cloud to handle the dropbox info.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #27
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekpoke View Post
The largest file in the CalibreLibrary folder is 96MB.
6GB is the size of the entire folder, all files combined.

So I assume instead of the count of files, it's a total byte count for a folder's contents.
Thanks.

The next release will fix the "size" field that is causing the problem (increase from 32 bits to 64 bits). I apologize that I won't be able to make the release for a day or so because I am in the middle of other changes that must be finished.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:52 PM   #28
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
What browser are you using? The same problem happens with Dolphin and the standard browser for my phone, but it works with Chrome (checked). It looks like the problem is sending the answer for CC Cloud to handle the dropbox info.
The Oracle of Google reports that this is not an infrequent problem, particularly on Samsung devices.

I have considered doing authentication inside a "webview" (a small dedicated web browser) inside CC so that no device web browser would be involved. This would eliminate the redirection problem and the "what should be used to finish" dialog, at the cost of not keeping authentication cookies or saved passwords. In other words, you would need to log in again every time you clear cloud connection information. What do you think?

NB: I asked on the Dropbox forum if there was any way to use the Dropbox app to authenticate and give permissions without using their SDK, something that is an even better solution. Nobody has answered. That might change when Monday happens on the west coast of the US. We will see.

Last edited by chaley; 06-21-2015 at 04:04 PM. Reason: semantic corrections
Old 06-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #29
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_AR View Post
Installed the latest version.

- Switching between different databases works nice.

Suggestion: Can you add the feature that CC remembers the paths between the different Databases and remember their name, like Calibre does? It would be easier to switch between them (of course you have to disconnect and connect again as now).
Also i see that CC Cloud stores only the last database accessed on the device. Perhaps it may be better to store the different databases in sub-folders (names of database). So it would also quicker for CC cloud to check if database was changed in the cloud instead of downloading it again.
I will look at it, but I hesitate to add complexity to the user interface for a case that (sorry) happens infrequently.

Storing multiple copies of the database is possible. Currently the db is stored in a folder named for the cloud provider, e.g., "dropbox/db. It could probably be named something like "provider/path.with.slashes.changed.to.dots/db. If I can do this without breaking everything then I will. Note that it will still check the db on connect to be sure that the local copy is correct.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #30
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
I have considered doing authentication inside a "webview" (a small dedicated web browser) inside CC so that device web browser would be involved. This would eliminate the redirection problem and the "what should be used to finish" dialog, at the cost of not keeping authentication cookies or saved passwords. In other words, you would need to log in again every time you clear cloud connection information. What do you think?
I think it's a good solution, as clearing cloud information is something you must make in a conscious way, and it does not happen when you leave CC (or I think so).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote