Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 08-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Nonresident library cards?

I'm looking for an alternative to an FLP nonresident library card, to use mostly for Overdrive audiobooks, as FLP's additions have been meager for some time now. I already have a Brooklyn card. Houston seems like the best deal ($40/year), but since no one ever seems to mention it, I'm hesitating. Anyone have recommendations?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
Debi
Connoisseur
Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Ipad Mini 2, Ipad Air 2
I've previously had a card for Fairfax, VA. At $27 a year I found it to be a good investment i've also had access to Maryland's Overdrive library through a library other than Enoch Pratt and enjoyed it i mostly used it for ebooks so can't speak for audiobooks. $50 seems a little pricy for Maryland but may be worth a look.

Do you find Brooklyn to be a good value?

I'm currently using cards from KY and TN which seems to neet most of my needs so I'm trying to NOT buy a card for a year or two. Famous last words...
Debi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:14 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi View Post
I've previously had a card for Fairfax, VA. At $27 a year I found it to be a good investment i've also had access to Maryland's Overdrive library through a library other than Enoch Pratt and enjoyed it i mostly used it for ebooks so can't speak for audiobooks. $50 seems a little pricy for Maryland but may be worth a look.

Do you find Brooklyn to be a good value?

I'm currently using cards from KY and TN which seems to neet most of my needs so I'm trying to NOT buy a card for a year or two. Famous last words...
Thanks for your input. I'll take another look at Enoch Pratt and Fairfax.

Brooklyn is excellent. As a New York resident, I don't have to pay, but it's much better than FLP, which charges the same $50. Waiting lists don't seem too bad, as BPL often buys multiple copies of popular books, and the selection seems good. I would definitely recommend it over any of the others.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:38 PM   #4
nikkisharif
nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Thanks for your input. I'll take another look at Enoch Pratt and Fairfax.

Brooklyn is excellent. As a New York resident, I don't have to pay, but it's much better than FLP, which charges the same $50. Waiting lists don't seem too bad, as BPL often buys multiple copies of popular books, and the selection seems good. I would definitely recommend it over any of the others.

You should get an NYPL card too. It expands the selection much more. I’m a NYC resident and have both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nikkisharif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:34 AM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkisharif View Post
You should get an NYPL card too. It expands the selection much more. I’m a NYC resident and have both.
Me too. I use them for the bulk of my borrowing. But I like having one nonresident card for another library system for the occasional book that my NYC libraries don't get, or that has an excessively long waiting list.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:15 AM   #6
nikkisharif
nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Me too. I use them for the bulk of my borrowing. But I like having one nonresident card for another library system for the occasional book that my NYC libraries don't get, or that has an excessively long waiting list.

That’s a great idea! I think I might do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nikkisharif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #7
Acataloger
Retired library cataloger
Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: PRS-T2 ; Kindle Paperwhite Manga; Fire HD 10; Huawei Honor 8
One offering of Brooklyn/NYPL that I consider a great value is the Oxford English Dictionary online. An individual subscription is normally $295 a year (anniversary special this year only, $90). One of my Florida libraries stopped carrying it, so I was very happy to get it again. There are a number of interesting databases at the New York libraries, some available only to state residents or certain other cardholders.
Acataloger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:56 AM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acataloger View Post
One offering of Brooklyn/NYPL that I consider a great value is the Oxford English Dictionary online. An individual subscription is normally $295 a year (anniversary special this year only, $90). One of my Florida libraries stopped carrying it, so I was very happy to get it again. There are a number of interesting databases at the New York libraries, some available only to state residents or certain other cardholders.
Thanks. If you can believe it, I was just trying to track down a definition that I couldn't find in my Webster's Third Unabridged. I didn't know I could access OED through my library. Perfect timing!
Old 08-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #9
Acataloger
Retired library cataloger
Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: PRS-T2 ; Kindle Paperwhite Manga; Fire HD 10; Huawei Honor 8
Glad I could help!
Acataloger is offline   Reply With Quote