Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-18-2019, 11:19 AM   #61
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
Thank you, yes I know... but I have almost 9,000 books and so many of them are terrible, I'm sure. I may have to do that at some point just because I don't have any other way to sort them. But it's such a huge undertaking and I don't really want to download and process so 9,000 books and store them locally. I don't know how many GBs they will waste. Plus, it seems like they don't tend to include all the meta-data, so that will be a huge job to add it for each book.

I had the idea that, if Amazon ever sells a high quality 8" or larger Kindle with all the features I require, maybe I can buy one and set it up like it's for a family member and have better sorting options that way. Doesn't Amazon have some type of parental controls that allow the primary account holder to only allow certain books from the parent account to a sub/child account? I feel like I read about something like that. Then I can separate out the best books but still have all of them on my account.
Yes...they do have parental controls. You can use the parental controls combined with the Free Time library to do what you are proposing. Understand, though, that if you do it this way you will lose some functionality on that Kindle. Collections can't be used, browser isn't available, neither are Wikipedia lookups. You also can *only* read books purchased from Amazon when using this method.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:38 PM   #62
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Yes...they do have parental controls. You can use the parental controls combined with the Free Time library to do what you are proposing. Understand, though, that if you do it this way you will lose some functionality on that Kindle. Collections can't be used, browser isn't available, neither are Wikipedia lookups. You also can *only* read books purchased from Amazon when using this method.

Shari
Thank you Shari, that is very helpful! I am saving that advice to refer to in the future as I try to decide what to do about the mess I created.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote