Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-02-2019, 04:06 PM   #1
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
It happened: Library lend generates a sale

A library lend generated a sale. I was enjoying a history ebook that I borrowed from the library. It was a long book, and I estimated that I would have to borrow it at least 2 or 3 times to finish it. I enjoyed reading a few chapters, then taking a break or reading something else for a bit. My comprehension and enjoyment of the subject matter was better when I didn't try to consume too much at once. I began to wonder if I might want to refer back to the book sometime in the future.

So I bought it in ebook format. I do not think I would have ever found it, or even considered buying it, if I hadn't found it while browsing library selections, and then had the opportunity to read the first 15% of it while I had it on loan. I have bought hardcover books after reading ebooks that I liked enough to add to my home shelves, but this may be the first ebook that I bought while still reading a borrowed ebook.

edit: and Amazon automatically terminates your library lend when you buy a book that is currently checked out and borrowed. I did not know that.

Last edited by Tomk2; 11-02-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:11 PM   #2
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I have occasionally bought books after reading a library book, if the library didn't have all the books available in a series.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2019, 10:44 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
A library lend generated a sale. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I have occasionally bought books after reading a library book, if the library didn't have all the books available in a series.
Happened to me recently also. I started reading a Robin Hobb trilogy (I had never heard of her before) and then started looking around for her other books — and bought a trilogy from Bookland (one that wasn't available on Overdrive). Then Bookland promptly pulled all her English books afterwards?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:11 PM   #4
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
In other news, a bird flapped its wings today.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:07 AM   #5
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
Further information on that breaking news story, just in:

That bird was identified as a masked booby. After flapping its wings, it interjected itself into a conversation of its own free will, made some noise, but contributed nothing before moving off.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2019, 12:13 AM   #6
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've purchased books when I found the remaining book in a series had been published but wasn't available at the library. I've also purchased books when I've found, through exposure to the author at the library, that I like the author's work. I am a slow reader and have a lot of other things on my plate, so finishing a book within the borrowing period sometimes doesn't happen. If that happens, and I liked the book, I might buy it as well.

I think publishing executives (not the plebes) live in an overpaid, urban environment, where they have easy access to bookstores, both online and b&m and have enough disposable income that it's easy to buy the books they don't get free copies of. They can only see libraries as the enemy, not their greatest allies in marketing. They're like pre-Napster record executives.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:14 AM   #7
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBilly View Post

That bird was identified as a masked booby. After flapping its wings, it interjected itself into a conversation of its own free will, made some noise, but contributed nothing before moving off.
In that it had much in common with publishers view on the statistics behind this thread in comparison to years of data from millions more data points.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:36 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
In other news, a bird flapped its wings today.
What KIND of bird!? An English Sparrow... PLEASE tell me it was English Sparrow!
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:30 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:49 AM   #10
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
What KIND of bird!? An English Sparrow... PLEASE tell me it was English Sparrow!
Contrary to BadBillys alternative facts post the species is unknown. Only a single specimen has been observed by Cecilia Böhl de Faber.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:54 AM   #11
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
I think publishing executives (not the plebes) live in an overpaid, urban environment, where they have easy access to bookstores, both online and b&m and have enough disposable income that it's easy to buy the books they don't get free copies of. They can only see libraries as the enemy, not their greatest allies in marketing. They're like pre-Napster record executives.
Do these executives all have long, pencil thin, mustaches which they curl around a finger while laughing maniacally after tying a damsel to the train tracks?
Old 11-03-2019, 08:07 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Do these executives all have long, pencil thin, mustaches which they curl around a finger while laughing maniacally after tying a damsel to the train tracks?
They have the minions from accounting (the same ones that calculater Royalty payments) do that
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #13
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things

Quote:
Not always. When not kicking puppies and molesting seabirds, some of them troll Internet forums trying to convince people, with little success, they're not arrogant jerks.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:24 PM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Time to get back on topic. Further off-topic posts along lines similar to recent posts will be deleted.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:08 PM   #15
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things

It's interesting to note that statistics show revenue from book publishing increasing in all regions. Unlike music executives, who had grown used to one record-breaking year after another through the 80s and 90s, saw a decrease as evidence of lost sales due to file-sharing, publishing execs seem to think they're entitled to more even though their revenues are increasing.

I suspect a survey of serious readers (say, anyone who reads 10 books a year or more) would find that the overwhelming majority had, at some point purchased a book based on a library experience connected to that book. That could be another book in the series, another book by the same author or a similar subject. Books represent an investment in time and money and buying blind doesn't appeal to a lot of people.