Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #1
Albyr
Enthusiast
Albyr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Using old Kindle as an eInk photo frame

(I posted this here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=248628 but it strikes me that this might be a better place to post.)

I was sure someone would have figured out a way to do this already, but I looked and couldn't find anything.

I have a K3 Kindle that I no longer need (the Voyage is on its way soon!). I've seen Kindles re-purposed as weather stations, but I'd like to use my K3 as a photo frame - just mount it nicely and have it scroll through pictures, changing automatically every five minutes or something. As I said above, I was sure somebody would already have code for this, but it doesn't look like it. There's lots of stuff about changing the screensaver/"cover", but nothing about using it as a photo frame.

Any thoughts?
Albyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You could probably whip up a quick'n dirty something in shell w/ eips?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
Albyr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
You could probably whip up a quick'n dirty something in shell w/ eips?
Sorry, I'm not familiar with eips. Is that the built-in display function? Are you suggesting writing some sort of bash script that displays images at random using it?
Old 10-25-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
Albyr
Enthusiast

Using screensaver hack?

Could I use the screensaver hack and then somehow set the Kindle to turn itself on/off again at regular intervals? That would accomplish what I'm looking for, wouldn't it?
Old 10-25-2014, 04:10 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Albyr: That would be an extremely convoluted way of going about it.

If you don't need anythign fancy, eips -f -g, a set of 8bpp PNG files, and a few lines of shell script and you're done.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2014, 06:44 AM   #6
Albyr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Albyr: That would be an extremely convoluted way of going about it.

If you don't need anythign fancy, eips -f -g, a set of 8bpp PNG files, and a few lines of shell script and you're done.
Unfortunately I'm not terribly familiar with bash. Thank you, though. I'll take a look.