Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-31-2017, 10:51 AM   #1
MilesAhead
MilesAhead began at the beginning.

Device: RCA Voyager Pro Tablet
Moon+ Reader Pro sync across devices

It seems Moon+ Reader Pro has changed its settings and even the FAQ on their site has not been updated. When asking how to sync Moon+ Reader Pro across android devices using GDrive or DropBox the answer has been to go into Misc Options and press Sync, then choose either GDrive or DropBox(or hit the gear next to one of them first. Then hit Sync Button.. I forget.)

But anyway, now there is no Misc Options setting to go into. I can get it to view the files on GDrive, but I see no Button or other setting to sync the reading position never mind files. If I have to run Calibre server or manually copy the Caliber Library onto the devices that is no big deal. But it would be nice if I could set it up to remember my bookmark when I open the same book either on my phone or tablet.

I have Marshmallow on my phone and Lollipop on my RCA tablet. Both devices have a populated bookshelf. After messing around with GDrive I just copied the Calibre Library over a USB cable on each device to get things working.

Any help with syncing would be appreciated.
MilesAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:22 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I just installed Moon+ on my new phone, which uses Android 6. I've been using it on my old Android 6 phone. Both of them have a Miscellaneous settings option and at the bottom of the Miscellaneous page is a line that says "Sync Reading Position via Dropbox" followed by a line that says the same thing via Google Drive. I use Dropbox and I sync several times a day since when reading on the phone I'm limited to short reading sessions.

It's all working just fine, just as it always has.

I did have a problem getting it to sync my settings when I first installed Moon+ on my new phone but that was a minor issue. It synced some settings and I did the rest manually. Since then everything has worked perfectly.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2017, 02:23 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I just installed Moon+ on my new phone, which uses Android 6. I've been using it on my old Android 6 phone. Both of them have a Miscellaneous settings option and at the bottom of the Miscellaneous page is a line that says "Sync Reading Position via Dropbox" followed by a line that says the same thing via Google Drive. I use Dropbox and I sync several times a day since when reading on the phone I'm limited to short reading sessions.

It's all working just fine, just as it always has.
Barry
same here. using it daily across 2 devices , one with android 6, one with android 5. all working via dropbox
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #4
MilesAhead

Perhaps the problem is it does not see DropBox. I have GoogleDrive. Guess I need to set up DropBox then.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:57 AM   #5
MilesAhead

I just checked "About" in the program on my phone. It says it is Moon+ Reader Pro. But no Misc in the settings page whatsoever. When I look through the books to import it sees them on GDrive so I don't understand the issue.
Advert
Old 02-01-2017, 09:03 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
I just checked "About" in the program on my phone. It says it is Moon+ Reader Pro. But no Misc in the settings page whatsoever. When I look through the books to import it sees them on GDrive so I don't understand the issue.
go get to misc options: open a book then go to settings/options, the menus are different once a specific book is in use
and yes, for noom+ to "see" dropbox, that needs to have been installed on the device, how else is moon going to "see" it?

Last edited by stumped; 02-01-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #7
MilesAhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
go get to misc options: open a book then go to settings/options, the menus are different once a specific book is in use
I got that just now thanks. Although it would be helpful if they pointed that out in the FAQ instead of assuming users are clairvoyant.

Quote:
and yes, for noom+ to "see" dropbox, that needs to have been installed on the device, how else is moon going to "see" it?
Why should I need to have DropBox installed to use GDrive? It is superfluous. Now the question is will the sync I have set up with GDrive work if I uninstall DropBox? GDrive gives me 15 GB free whereas I have to do all this extra setup to get 2 GB with DropBox. I suppose now I will uninstall it just to see what happens(like Earthlings in Doctor Who.)

Edit: I'm just kidding. Now that I have DropBox set up I'll use it. 2 GB is 2 GB after all.

Last edited by MilesAhead; 02-01-2017 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Additional point.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard

AFAIK you can choose to use G drive or dropbox, & possibly others. you should not need dropbox installed to use G drive & vice versa. But that is not something I have tested.
dropbox goes from 2gb to 2.5Gb as soon as you first use it, and you can ramp it up much higher with referrals
Old 02-01-2017, 02:36 PM   #9
MilesAhead

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:19 AM   #10
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
there is one thing I do not get. Is possible to sync ONLY the book settings metadata( number of page I am reading, highlights) in dropbox/GDrive WITHOUT transferring/uploading my books into the cloud?
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:20 PM   #11
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S7, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by trocchietto View Post
there is one thing I do not get. Is possible to sync ONLY the book settings metadata( number of page I am reading, highlights) in dropbox/GDrive WITHOUT transferring/uploading my books into the cloud?
I think so. inside of the miscellaneous option, when you hit the gear for dropbox config you get the checkbox to backup the book. I suspect if you uncheck that, it won't

haven't tried it tho, since that's how I propagate the books to other devices
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:10 AM   #12
stumped
Wizard

For me the sync to cloud does NOT back up the book, it only sends last page read & annotations etc to dropbox, not the book.
works fine but I manually have to put the book onto both devices

maybe I missed an option though - I will re check next time I am using it. I would not want the book sent back to dropbox as i'ts already there in a copy of my calibre library!
Old 06-02-2017, 07:47 AM   #13
MilesAhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
For me the sync to cloud does NOT back up the book, it only sends last page read & annotations etc to dropbox, not the book.
works fine but I manually have to put the book onto both devices

maybe I missed an option though - I will re check next time I am using it. I would not want the book sent back to dropbox as i'ts already there in a copy of my calibre library!
If my understanding is correct, the bookmark feature is implemented too simply. I believe a page number is stored in DropBox in the file. If you try to read the same book on a large laptop or desktop machine and tablets/phones the pages will be all different sizes. A better approach would be how many characters into the file. Then each platform could do the math to figure which page to display.

I started reading a book on my 17" Laptop PC and trying to continue reading on my 7" tablet was a chore in hitting the next page button until I recognized my place in the story. Seems like it shouldn't be that difficult once the reader opens the book to seek in the file someplace at least close to where the reader left off.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:25 AM   #14
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
If my understanding is correct, the bookmark feature is implemented too simply. I believe a page number is stored in DropBox in the file. If you try to read the same book on a large laptop or desktop machine and tablets/phones the pages will be all different sizes. A better approach would be how many characters into the file. Then each ...
Moon stores two things in dropbox, one is the current chapter count, 2 is some offset from start of that current chapter.. i know about chapters because if I edit a book - e.g. remove one foreward or epigraph section, then send that to another device and sync, the sync is off by one chapter.

I always bookmark at a chapter start so the other issue does not affect me.
i have not checked the page offset thing but if you are right then changing font size on the same device and reloading bookmarks should cause them to point wrongly - a simple test. NB moon loads only the current chapter to RAM and in fact it splits extra large chapters with a 1/2 mark which loads the next section when tapped. ( that is at about 70 pages on my tablet).

PS having rechecked the dropbox section of preferences , there is a simple tick / untick for whether a copy of the book is sent to cloud. I leave it unticked, my books are already in the cloud, in a calibre library backup

Last edited by stumped; 06-02-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:40 PM   #15
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
If my understanding is correct, the bookmark feature is implemented too simply. I believe a page number is stored in DropBox in the file. If you try to read the same book on a large laptop or desktop machine and tablets/phones the pages will be all different sizes. A better approach would be how many characters into the file. Then each platform could do the math to figure which page to display.

I started reading a book on my 17" Laptop PC and trying to continue reading on my 7" tablet was a chore in hitting the next page button until I recognized my place in the story. Seems like it shouldn't be that difficult once the reader opens the book to seek in the file someplace at least close to where the reader left off.
The page number is not what is stored because that would not work at all. It stores what percentage of the book you read so far.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote