Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-18-2018, 02:13 AM   #31
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
I usually have 3-4 books going at once. So when I finish one book, I’ll either switch to one of the ongoing ones, or (more often) choose a new one to start. I have over 800 unread books on my ereader so there is choice No breaks, I get restless if I can’t read
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:21 AM   #32
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I usually read up to half a dozen books at a time, so I almost always have something to continue. I get nervous when I'm "between books".
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:28 AM   #33
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I start having withdrawal pangs if I do not have a book to read. Headaches, sweating, shaking, cramps, mood swings and cravings.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:01 PM   #34
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I start having withdrawal pangs if I do not have a book to read. Headaches, sweating, shaking, cramps, mood swings and cravings.
Apache

Yeah, Apache. I suffer the same symptoms when on a sugar free diet.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:09 AM   #35
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
It depends on the book.

Is it a part of the series (and not the last book)? I'll immediately continue with the next.
Has the book never really captured me, but was it simply a "good book", I'll probably just continue with a new book.
Has the boo really captured me, and was I really living with the main character(s), I either savor it for a few days, fantasizing over what would have happened next, or reliving parts of the story, or I'll read short stories for a few days before I can decide what book to read next.

Naturally, this all depends on when exactly I finish a book, sometimes I just have to sleep after finishing a book
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:10 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There are times when I finish a book and I don't have another book chosen to read. Then I have to think about it. I usually figure this out the same day or the next day.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:18 AM   #37
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I generally try to start a new book straight away because I'm always mindful of my reading challenge. So part of the enthusiasm of having finished another book is thinking, "I'll start a new one straight away".

What I have to be careful of is starting a new one, based on this, and then losing enthusiasm for it straight away.

OK, I'm aware the following is a bit odd/obsessive - please don't judge me! I use a spreadsheet to record my reading, which includes how long I read for and it calculates my current reading rate and so on. One of the things it does is, if I'm less then 15% into a book, it uses the current average reading rate for all books rather than calculating the rate for the current book. I seem to recall doing this because previously I'd either get division by zero errors or wildly inaccurate estimates based on low number of pages read.

Anyhow, none of that matters, except to me, but the point is that I often try to read at least 15% straight away if I can.

So I often end up a fair way in to a new book, but not feeling like I'm enjoying it. I'm resistant to giving up because then I've lost the time I've spent in terms of my overall target. (I know, sunk cost fallacy!)

So sometimes I think I'd be better off deliberately taking a pause before ploughing into the next book.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #38
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'm one that's constantly reading a book, only one book at a time for me though. And when it's finished, I immediately start my next book. Maybe not within the next few minutes, but certainly that same day whenever I sit down to read again.

I also tend to "binge-read" through complete series once I get into one and the characters. I might take a break from the series only if there's a book just released that I know I've been looking forward to (Dan Brown's "Origin" was the last time that happened). But even then, it's only after I've finished the current book in the series, I'll never be in the middle of 2 books at once.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:33 AM   #39
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
For me it depends, there is no one set rule.

When I was a kid I used to finish a new book and immediately turn to the front page and read it again (unless I'd been lucky enough to buy several books in which case I would immediately read the next one).
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #40
dkplayaclub
dkplayaclub began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
After finishing shorter books, I usually start a new one the next day. I typically stop for a day or two after reading a longer book and focus on writing. I feel like writing is just as important, if not more important, than reading to keep your mind nimble.

Last edited by dkplayaclub; 03-06-2018 at 10:51 AM.
dkplayaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:54 AM   #41
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
I immediately start a new one, unless it is late in the night in which case I will start it the next morning. I don’t even remember when was the last time I’ve gone a whole day without reading a book, in fact I think I have an addiction, when I’m bored doing something I don’t really appreciate my mind wonders to the books and I which I could be reading.

Now with the ereaders, ebooks and audiobooks I have several books started at once, I skip form one to the other according with where I am or what I’m doing at the moment (besides reading).
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:37 PM   #42
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I usually start a new one right away unless its time to go to sleep, in which case, its often the next night before I move on. I rarely have two going at once, because in my twilight years I find it difficult to divide my concentration. I have two going at the moment, but I suspect the fiction (She's Come Undone - Wally Lamb) will win out over the non-fiction (Dirty Wars - Jeremy Scahill) which will require a lot of concentration, and will take longer to absorb.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:12 AM   #43
tamil96
tamil96 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I always used to take time once I complete the book.
tamil96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:52 AM   #44
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I also have several books going at the same time, but if I finish one in the evening, I rarely pick up another until the next day. For series, I give a few days at least, before starting the next.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #45
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
For me, a lot of it depends on the book I just finished. If it was just light fiction (action, intrigue etc.) then I will often move on to a new book with little or no pause. If it was a book that particularly moved me (does not mean that the book was necessarily profound, just that I really felt close to a particular character, was really caught up in the descriptive style, atmosphere, or mood of the book) I may feel a bit sad when the book is over, and need some time for my subconscious to dwell on it before I am ready to move on to something else. Otherwise, any other book that I pick up will just not feel right to me.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote