Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-31-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
sdmama
Enthusiast
sdmama doesn't littersdmama doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505 and 700 and Kindle 2
My eyes are worse than I thought!

I know that it is time for new reading glasses. Since it's tax season, I pretty much get nothing done in my regular life. However, I had hoped that my reader would allow me to increase the font size larger than it does.

Now, the light I was reading by was not the best. I'm sure that would help. Anyone else wish they could increase the font even larger?
sdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I tell people I have Eagle Eyes. It's these damn Penguin Arms that keep me from holding the reader far enough away!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmama View Post
I know that it is time for new reading glasses. Since it's tax season, I pretty much get nothing done in my regular life. However, I had hoped that my reader would allow me to increase the font size larger than it does.

Now, the light I was reading by was not the best. I'm sure that would help. Anyone else wish they could increase the font even larger?
Actually, I've found that if you reformat your books with Calibre, you can make the 'small' size bigger, which makes the 'large' size huge!

You might try that.

Kate
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
It depends which book it is. The 3 sizes used by the Sony store are not universal to all books. Most of the time I'm on Medium, but occasionally I need to go to Large, which ends up being the same as the usual Medium font I use on other books. Now that the 700 has more sizes available, I wonder if there's a chance of a 505 firmware upgrade that could add them?
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Is your Sony the 505 or 700? I ask, because the thread "very detailed instructions for changing the default font..." is a great tool. It makes use of PRSCustomizer. I have very poor eyesight also, so I've changed my font to ariel. At the L setting, it is nice and big and bold. In landscape mode, L is too big but M is just right.

If I am re-formatting something that is not LRF, such as ADE, I find that changing the font to ariel and 22 pt font shows up great when I put it onto my 505. Increase the line spacing to 1.25 to increase the contrast between letters and background.

Both of these options give me letters that are about 7 mm. Anything bigger seems to take up more line space and I end up turning pages too frequently. People with normal eyes can probably read it from across the room!

For most of her career, my sister has worked in accounting offices. Tax season was that special time of year when we never saw or heard from her. She worked from sunrise to way past sunset, every year. Then on 4/16 each year, they would close the office for a week and we would go to the beach.

Good luck and let us know what you discover!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
sdmama
Enthusiast
sdmama doesn't littersdmama doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505 and 700 and Kindle 2
Thanks for your suggestions about the Calibre software and the customizing thread. I thought I was going to have to invest in the giant magnifying glass that my grandpa would read his morning paper with.
sdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions about the Calibre software and the customizing thread. I thought I was going to have to invest in the giant magnifying glass that my grandpa would read his morning paper with.
I have those in every room of the house. But I still have to get my husband to read me the instructions on the back of the Hamburger Helper box.

A week ago, we were at an opera, The Magic Flute. The synopsis was just too tiny to read and the lighting was too dim. So, Tim just leaned over and started reading it to me. By the time we finished, people all around us were leaning in to listen. Almost nobody could read that tiny print - and they were all about our age. (40+ yrs)

DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I've found that I have to switch to the Landscape setting, even with the Large font, on some books from the Sony store. There are some other tips and tricks in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=363262
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote