Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #61
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
I view the Amazon Cloud as the expansion for the Fire, as probably do most people who are acquiring the Fire. I see it as an experiment, and I'm willing to go along with it . . . for now. Is it the future for most computing? I don't know -- but it is starting to look that way. We will all see how it works out in practice.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #62
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
I'd agree that perhaps Cloud storage is OK for typical, casual user. But there are many situations where it just won't work:
  • Travelling on a plane, ship, bus or coach which doesn't have WiFi
  • Using the device outside of urban zones (trekking, at sea etc.)
  • Professional (or semi-pro) uses. Quite often one needs many files on hand (references, presentations, databases etc.) and just can't wait till they download from the cloud
  • Personal videos. I can understand that there are many people for whom commercial movies are enough, but there are quite a few who like to shot, admire, share and store their own! Storing these in the cloud is a no-no!
  • Photographers: Kindle Fire could have been a nice device to review the photos you have just shot, on a relatively big screen, if only it had an SD slot!

In fact, I could give half a dozen situations from my own experience when there was no access to the internet and I badly needed a particular file. Luckily, it was there - on my pendrive or SD card. Perhaps the most untypical was a situation when I needed some sheet music for a service in a church. There was no internet in the whole building but an SD card full of PDFs (which I had in my wallet) saved my life. I am sure many people would be able to recount a similar story when there was no WiFi (or it was too slow) and their only hope was a USB stick or SD card.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #63
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
A moped is not the best choice for traveling cross-country
A Porsche is not for everyone.
Choose the right tool for the job
and don't worry about those
who choose the tools you do not.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #64
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadenfroh View Post
The Lenovo A1 has made it really competitive now. It has two cameras, bluetooth, gps, and microSD & SD slot.

And there's a deal to get the 16GB version for $230

My interest in the Fire has nearly been extinguished.
I have looked at the Lenovo A1 specs on their website, and I didn't see any mention of it having a microSD and SD slot. Can anyone tell me where I can find that information? Thanks!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:29 AM   #65
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't know - the whole cloud thing presupposes a pretty generous download/upload speed and for some things that's ok, but for others - not so much. Combined with a relatively small storage I can see why some would think it's an issue.

I'm rarely in a place where I could stream with great success - even home would have its issues with some video content.

There's probably going to be a time in the future where it's not as much of a problem, but until then the ability to store content and move it around between devices is still going to be pretty valuable for me.

But for ebooks it's pretty good now.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #66
taoofpu2
Enthusiast
taoofpu2 is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad mini 4, iPad 3
You hit on a number of situations I face. A number of places I travel have limited or no wifi so the KFire's usefulness would be diminished for me. I need to start looking seriously at some tablet alternatives - now if only the prices would drop!
taoofpu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #67
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
The cloud in in it's infancy and so is broadband. As you move more stuff to the could Internet speeds and throughput are going to raise as well.

This is the way tech works... as software got bigger CPUs got faster and hard drives got bigger, all for the same price.

You see in some countries their phone systems just leaped up. they never had old copper wire infrastructure and are mostly cell based. Some places in Europe have 100/100Mbps service for about $30 a month... etc.

Eventually there will be no need to "save" anything. It will all happen automatically and be stored in the "cloud". Lion does this pretty much now. This is why people need to get used the the tag and search method of organizing their digital assets. Navigating a list of files is going to become so cumbersome because everything you ever created will be out there. The nice thing is, everything you ever created will be out there... mirrored in the cloud so any device you log into will give you instant access to not only your "stuff" but your "apps" as well.

Yes, sounds like mainframe eh. Everything old is new again.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #68
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
People. Has no one heard of a personal wifi hotspot? The carriers sell devices the size of a pack of playing cards which work via 3G or 4G which you can use as a wifi hotspot. It's an alternative to getting 3G on every single device. I have one for my Ipad called the Ispot. $25 a month for unlimited 4G. Unfortunately this particular device works only with I-devices, so I can't hook up to it with a Kindle or anything else, but this restriction is rare.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #69
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My Xoom performs that function. but wait, it's a kindle too, and a nook and a Aldiko and...and....

even so it need 3G and that is not available in some of the places that have been discussed.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #70
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXSendai View Post
People. Has no one heard of a personal wifi hotspot? The carriers sell devices the size of a pack of playing cards which work via 3G or 4G which you can use as a wifi hotspot. It's an alternative to getting 3G on every single device. I have one for my Ipad called the Ispot. $25 a month for unlimited 4G. Unfortunately this particular device works only with I-devices, so I can't hook up to it with a Kindle or anything else, but this restriction is rare.
Was in Best Buy about a week ago and a guy was selling a wifi hotspot. Was all set to buy it but it didn't cover the area where I would use it most. We have a summer cottage and it didn't have coverage there. I will look into other carriers though.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #71
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
My Xoom performs that function. but wait, it's a kindle too, and a nook and a Aldiko and...and....

even so it need 3G and that is not available in some of the places that have been discussed.
I think what is being discussed is not only 3G capability but especially on-device storage space...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #72
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
I think what is being discussed is not only 3G capability but especially on-device storage space...
Exactly what I responded to.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #73
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Well, I think the assumption is that people will mostly use it in their own homes, which likely have Wi-Fi internet. I'm not even sure you can get a wired only router these days.
Not sure what you mean.
A lot of services come with a modem with Ethernet ports, maybe USB2, but wireless is extra.

Sometimes the modem and router are in the same box.

It is possible that you are thinking of a Ethernet switch box that would take an old single out modem and add more ports.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #74
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Limited storage on the Kindle Fire and no memory card support made me just look away.

I hear all the stuff about "cloud" but that is not new and is not sufficient if you don't have 3G. What they are saying is that you must find a WiFi spot to be able to really utilize the Fire beyond reading or watching what you loaded into 6GB (or is it 8GB).

Cloud? Mozy has had free storage for ages. So has Google, Yahoo, and even Microsoft. You can store stuff in Gmail if you want. That is the simple way to back stuff up. Just mail it. If you need more raw storage, all these places and others have it for about the same as Amazon.
Personally I have 1/4 of a Terabyte or more from my web hosting service. (I think they just increase me, unasked.)

BUT I HAVE TO BE ABLE TO REACH ALL THESE PLACES IF THE FILE ISN'T ON THE KINDLE FIRE, AND ON THE ROAD, ON THE HILL, ON THE WATER, ETC., I CAN'T!! TO ME THAT PRECLUDES THE KINDLE FIRE AS A REAL TABLET!

The Kindle Fire is a great disappointment!!
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #75
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
The Kindle Fire is a great disappointment!!
For you. The Lenovo 7 inch seems to be attracting much attention from those who no longer have interest in the Kindle Fire.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote