Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
costas
costas began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Calibre not showing library changes

I am using Calibre to feed my iPhone (and soon, Kindle) with downloaded news when on the road. Since Calibre doesn't let me keep only the last X issues of each news source (the X is global, not source-specific), I wrote a little Python script to purge older news items. And since I was in there, I added epub-to-mobi conversion for when I get my Kindle.

Trouble is, although my script works, and it uses the calibredb binary to update Calibre for both removal of books and addition of new formats, neither the GUI nor the web front-end show the updates: the GUI will pick up new formats but not remove any books, and the Web does neither.

Any ideas on how to force an update without restarting the whole app?
costas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, costas.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Calibre doesn't support simultaneous access of the DB by calibre and anything else. You can easily get into trouble, because calibre's cache will not reflect the DB contents.

I suggest you create a second library, and leave it empty. Switch to that library before you run your scripts, then switch back. That will both avoid the data integrity problems and refresh the caches.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:58 AM   #4
costas
costas began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Thanks for that chaley, and thanks to the Calibre team for the great software. I guess I'll be stopping/launching the app.
costas is offline   Reply With Quote