Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
KOBO GLO SPONTANEOUS REBOOT

Ok so, I got my KG today, and set it up via wifi. It upgraded found my books and every thing was great. Started to read my books, turned the glo feature on as its hard to read in the dark. Turned a page or two and the device flashed off the light, and then back on and then off and rebooted. Thinking I had maybe hit a button or something that I should not have, I started to read again. Then it happend again and again. So I decided to reset the Glo and start over using the computer to set it up this time. So Currently I am waiting for it to process my content all over again. In the mean time anyone else with the same issue or random issues?
And yes it is updated to the latest firmware as it forces that right away any way.

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
trevormorse
Enthusiast
trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I read for about an hour last night and had one spontaneous reboot about 1/2 hour in. Going to be doing much more reading over the weekend so we'll see if it happens more.
trevormorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevormorse View Post
I read for about an hour last night and had one spontaneous reboot about 1/2 hour in. Going to be doing much more reading over the weekend so we'll see if it happens more.
Since I did a factory reset. Which of course resulted in the reinstallation of the firmware, I have not had a spontaneous reset. So I am thinking that the first set up via wifi, probably was corrupt. Either way its still early days as far as that goes. And hopefully Kobo will be on top of this like Flies to S**t.

Regards

Jack
Old 10-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Meh. Considering that spontaneous reboots were common in 2.0.0 and it's taken this long for an update to come out, something tells me Kobo doesn't consider it enough of a problem to buckle down and isolate & fix the issue for a bugfix patch. (really, they need to give up on new features** for a while and dedicate at least one development cycle and firmware release to stomping out bugs)

** (except for one, of course - the ability to allow upgrade/downgrade from within the device/desktop software to the firmware revision of the user's choice, with all firmware updates being optional and not automatically happening when you sync/connect to the desktop software; defaulting to latest current firmware, obviously)
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
trevormorse
Enthusiast
trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I'm hoping this is a software issue that can be fixed via firmware. I am a bit skeptical though. So far I've had/set up 3 kobo glos (due to try to get no bright pixels) the first too ran through set up without issue and had no spontaneous reboots. The third froze during initial set up and like I mentioned has rebooted once while reading so far

I know you need to expect issues when buying a product the second it comes out, but not being able to read on an ereader sucks! :P
trevormorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Jack, are the reboots happening on ePubs that happen to be on an SD card?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Jack, are the reboots happening on ePubs that happen to be on an SD card?
As a matter of fact the answer to that is yes they are.
What is known about this particular matter?

Regards
Jack
Old 10-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
There HAVE been compatibility issues in the past with books in SD cards on previous Kobo models. Have you tried the same books in main memory to see if it freezes or reboots? I've seen Calibre create ePub books that cause firmware 2.14 to have a fit and seize up - particularly where formatting adjustments are concerned.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
Big Mack
Enthusiast
Big Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of light

Device: iPod Touch 4; iPhone 4; Kobo Touch; Kobo Glo
I was having the same issue over the past 2 days with sideloaded ePubs on an SD card. I had just ejected it from my KT and inserted into a newly initialized KG. It took about 2 hours for the unit to do the update thing and then continuously rebooted as i read.

yesterday evening i did a factory reset and inserted a blank SD card. after initialization, i inserted a blank SD card and used Calibre to load the books. I've been reading off and on last night and this morning (with or without Glo light) and have had zero issues.

keeping my fingers crossed...
Big Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mack View Post
I was having the same issue over the past 2 days with sideloaded ePubs on an SD card. I had just ejected it from my KT and inserted into a newly initialized KG. It took about 2 hours for the unit to do the update thing and then continuously rebooted as i read.

yesterday evening i did a factory reset and inserted a blank SD card. after initialization, i inserted a blank SD card and used Calibre to load the books. I've been reading off and on last night and this morning (with or without Glo light) and have had zero issues.

keeping my fingers crossed...
Well I just tried essentially what you just did. I formated the card on the computer and manually copied the books I wanted over. I dont use CALIBRE to transfer books as it tends to corrupt things, such as covers etc., as far as it applies to the KT. I will let you know if this works or not. But I am sure that Tamming may have some insight here. just waiting to hear from her again.

REgards

Jack
Old 10-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
Angry

same bug here : epub send to sd card in the reader via calibre (epub formated via calibre too). Some dead taps without light on, but, when light is on, and when there's a dead tap, the light goes off, then on again and then the reader reboots

I was rather happy with my touch, though page turning were very slow, I accepted some dead taps and other "small bugs" but this one drives me crazy

Plus : when rebooting, and opening the book I was reading don't get where the bug happened but some pages before... I'd like to return "spontaneously" where I was

Last edited by vice-versa; 10-06-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: omission
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't have any magic, but I do know that on the Touch, using the same card I have always used and running 2..4 I had no problems. Using a new card in the Glo, I had no reboot problems. Somehow I screwed this idyllic situation up on the Glo. (I am not going to embarrass myself by telling you the weird stuff I tried with the Glo within the first 24 hours of having it in my hot little hands, but a factory reset truly is a wonderful thing from time to time).

Reformatting the SD card and then adding books in seemed to work, but I suspect that for now it is a fragile situation and have decided to pass on the SD card until the Kobo team figures it out for us.

I have a feeling (not supported by any facts at all) that this will be the problem that the development team will be looking at with some degree of urgency after they take a breath and enjoy our Canadian Thanksgiving weekend.

Last edited by taming; 10-06-2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: grammar and shame
Old 10-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
I don't have any magic, but I do know that on the Touch, using the same card I have always used and running 2..4 I had no problems. Using a new card in the Glo, I had no reboot problems. Somehow I screwed this idyllic situation up on the Glo. (I am not going to embarrass myself by telling you the weird stuff I tried with the Glo within the first 24 hours of having it in my hot little hands, but a factory reset truly is a wonderful thing from time to time).

Reformatting the SD card and then adding books in seemed to work, but I suspect that for now it is a fragile situation and have decided to pass on the SD card until the Kobo team figures it out for us.

I have a feeling (not supported by any facts at all) that this will be the problem that the development team will be looking at with some degree of urgency after they take a breath and enjoy our Canadian Thanksgiving weekend.
Well since I factory reset reinstalled formated the sd card and dumped the books to the card again I have not had a chnace to look at my reader

Regardless, on a scale of 1 to 10 im sill a 9.5 I love being able to read in bed at night with out disturbing the dog.

regards

JAck
Old 10-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I had been reading at night on my tablet. It was fine for kepubs, because of the whole sync thing, but it was a PITA to go back and forth for ePUBS between two different devices.

I don't have a dog, but I have a husband. I'm guessing the experience is similar. The cat never seemed to mind my reading light.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #15
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
I had been reading at night on my tablet. It was fine for kepubs, because of the whole sync thing, but it was a PITA to go back and forth for ePUBS between two different devices.

I don't have a dog, but I have a husband. I'm guessing the experience is similar. The cat never seemed to mind my reading light.
That depends does the husband bite when hes woken up from a deep deep dog dream?

Jack