Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
sylviebi
Connoisseur
sylviebi is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, DSi xl, 3DS, iPod, Playbbok
scrolling pet peeve

So I have a pet peeve about moving about in the book list and menu items and books and web browsing. I wish that when you are at the top of the list and you press the up on the dpad it would select the last of the list and vice-versa. I hate having to hit the down 8+- times to get to opposite side.
Is there a key shortcut for this?
anyone else have this pet peeve?
This is about the only thing that I find annoying with the kindle... (I feel like I've betrayed my kindle and the kindle gods will strike me down )
Thanks for reading,
Sylvie
sylviebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, I entirely agree with you about that! The cursor does "wrap around" when you highlight text on the main reading page; it's a bit annoying that it doesn't do so in the library.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
sylviebi
Connoisseur

isn't funny how what you want to select seems to always be at the opposite end of where you are?
Old 08-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It drives me batty too. It does seem like I'm always on the opposite end of the list. I would love it if we could push a letter button and it would take us to the first item that starts with that letter.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
This annoys me too. It seems so counter-intuitive that the kindle doesn't allow for the wrap-around behaviour.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylviebi View Post
So I have a pet peeve about moving about in the book list and menu items and books and web browsing. I wish that when you are at the top of the list and you press the up on the dpad it would select the last of the list and vice-versa. I hate having to hit the down 8+- times to get to opposite side.
Is there a key shortcut for this?
anyone else have this pet peeve?
I have been annoyed by this for quite some time. As Harry wrote, there are situations where the Kindle does wrap.

If you think that it is bad on a 6" screen, try to imagine what it is like on a kindle DX. I have had to make exactly enough collections to fill one page so that the book at the top of the list is at the top of the second page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylviebi View Post
This is about the only thing that I find annoying with the kindle... (I feel like I've betrayed my kindle and the kindle gods will strike me down )
Thanks for reading,
Sylvie
There are similar problems. The "Prev Page" button should take you to the last page from the first page. The Periodicals collection is at the bottom of the last page, and the ability to put a saved periodical item in any other collection is specifically grayed out. Grrrr!

Also, the pop-up for GoTo... can only be traversed from end to beginning and I have to do multiple clicks every time I use it.

The Pocketbook 360 handles all of these except getting to the last page much much better than the Kindle, but even that is mitigated by the pb360 support of multiple levels of subdirectories.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:36 AM   #7
Deja Moo
Enthusiast
Deja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PaperWhite
To get to books at the bottom of the page: press any letter key, then up. Getting to the last page of the list, maybe somebody else can help. (I've got ten pages! Help!)
Deja Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:21 AM   #8
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Moo View Post
To get to books at the bottom of the page: press any letter key, then up. Getting to the last page of the list, maybe somebody else can help. (I've got ten pages! Help!)
wow! 2 keypresses is better than 9.
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:44 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You know, I presume, that pressing any letter key, then <Enter>, will take you to books starting with that letter?
Old 08-19-2011, 07:50 AM   #10
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Getting to the last page of the list, maybe somebody else can help. (I've got ten pages! Help!)
Type the page number, then press Enter.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
sylviebi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I have been annoyed by this for quite some time. As Harry wrote, there are situations where the Kindle does wrap.

If you think that it is bad on a 6" screen, try to imagine what it is like on a kindle DX. I have had to make exactly enough collections to fill one page so that the book at the top of the list is at the top of the second page.
That's what I do too! I have 9 collections only and new items are on the top of the 2nd page...

Deja Moo and Mike L: OMG You are both awesome!

I've been limitting my collections because of this pet peeve... but now? the possibilities are endless!

The menu items are about the only thing now... but only for one entry. Anyone have ideas how to launch the web browser faster that by the menu?

Thanks for your tips!
Old 08-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #12
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Type the page number, then press Enter.
This...is magical. Thank you for this handy tip.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #13
sylviebi
Connoisseur

it's so simple and obvious that it's genius!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You know, I presume, that pressing any letter key, then <Enter>, will take you to books starting with that letter?
When I try that, it takes me to books containing that letter in the text of the book.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:46 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
When I try that, it takes me to books containing that letter in the text of the book.
No. Typing a single letter from the home page will take you to books whose title (or author, depending on the current sort order) start with that letter. Typing more than one letter will indeed do a search within the book.

The Kindle actually tells you this itself. Type, say, the letter "F" in title sort order and it says, in the search box at the bottom of the screen "click to go to F titles". Similarly with authors in author sort mode. For obvious reasons, it doesn't work if you're in "most recent first" or "collections" sort order, because there is no "ordering" in those modes.