Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-17-2019, 09:08 AM   #1
Ruthd
Ruthd began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Correct format for author name in metadata

Hi,
I belong to a volunteer group who produces ebooks from public domain material and have done thousands. We have been using Calibre to convert to different formats.

My question is to do with metadata. We have found that a number of volunteers are adding metadata for creator (the original author) in the format "firstname lastname" and a number in the format "lastname, firstname". And then some will be an organisation.

We have realised that we don't actually know which is correct and works best in keeping our users happy.

I note that Calibre lists the Author as 'firstname lastname' but sorts on the last name.

Once we establish which is correct, we than have to work out how (or whether) to fix the existing books. As they are in our own database, we would need a way to do it in bulk and put it back in our database. But first, we need to know what should be our standard. I have tried to research the Dublin Core preference, but it is unclear.

Help in clarifying would be greatly appreciated.
Ruthd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:34 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Personally I enter both "Author" and "Author Sort" as "lastname, firstname". That results in the correct "firstname lastname, sorted by lastname" sort order on the Kindle.

The easiest way to maintain author metadata is the "Authors" section of the tag browser in Calibre. Changing an author's name in the tag browser automatically changes it in all the corresponding books.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-17-2019 at 09:59 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Since you are producing e-books for distribution I suggest that you follow the EPUB specification for creator names. An author is considered to be a "creator" in EPUB.

Quote:
The creator element SHOULD contain the name of the creator as the Author intends it to be displayed to a user.
An example given is:

Quote:
<dc:creator id="creator">Haruki Murakami</dc:creator>
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's all very well, but you tend to end up with your books sorted by first name on some reading devices if you actually follow that advice!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The Quality check plugin has 2 sections that help with this (Fn Ln issue)

There are author checks (use to detect the wrong ones)
then there is the Fix section, used to swap the selected
Finally, be sure to Polish or embed the metadata as QCPI only fixes that shown in Calibre

Other QCPI checks might show the other issues. Or they may show in the Tag Browser sections.
Remeber to embed the corrections: You only fixed what is in Calibre
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthd View Post
Hi,
I belong to a volunteer group who produces ebooks from public domain material and have done thousands. We have been using Calibre to convert to different formats.

My question is to do with metadata. We have found that a number of volunteers are adding metadata for creator (the original author) in the format "firstname lastname" and a number in the format "lastname, firstname". And then some will be an organisation.

We have realised that we don't actually know which is correct and works best in keeping our users happy.

I note that Calibre lists the Author as 'firstname lastname' but sorts on the last name.

Once we establish which is correct, we than have to work out how (or whether) to fix the existing books. As they are in our own database, we would need a way to do it in bulk and put it back in our database. But first, we need to know what should be our standard. I have tried to research the Dublin Core preference, but it is unclear.

Help in clarifying would be greatly appreciated.
I don't think there is a definitive right way in calibre, its entirely up to the user. But if there are multiple users, as in your case, it is important they all do record the author name in the same way.

I prefer to sort author names primarily on an author's family name, but I enter and display them with given names first. In calibre parlance that's 'LN, FN' for the sort name. But that doesn't always work - e.g. I want sort names such as "Berners Lee, Timothy", not "Lee, Timothy Berners" and "Garcia Lopez, Christina" not "Lopez, Christina Garcia".

Because it's keyboard navigable I prefer to make adjustments to the display and sort values in the Manage Authors list rather than in the Tag Browser tree - same goes for Tags, Series, Publishers etc.

In the case of Authors there's also an Author Link field in the Manage Authors list; you might be able to use it to directly associate an Author in calibre to an Author your other database. Then when you click an Author name in calibre's Book Details panel the other application would pop its "Author" record/page/note whatever.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:17 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Just another opinion ...

My advice is to enter the authors field in the default calibre way, i.e. enter them as FN LN and let calibre create the partner author_sort field as LN, FN. If calibre occasionally gets it wrong (as described by BetterRed in post #6) then manually correct those authors.

The reason for this advice is that it should give your users the best flexibility. Each user can then choose to send author name(s) as either FN LN or LN, FN when sending to their chosen reading device. If both calibre fields authors and author_sort have the same value they won't have a choice.

As a practical example, my own experience is with Kobo devices where it is important to have the option to send in FN LN format to be able to use their 'Author Lists' feature.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:56 AM   #8
Ruthd
Ruthd began at the beginning.

Smile Thank you

Thank you all for your input. We have taken it all on board and will now be able to make our work consistent. We now have about 4,500 public domain books we have created if anyone cares to check out our collection at fadedpage.com, or if you are a bookophile and care to help pgdpcanada.net

Thanks again
Ruthd is offline   Reply With Quote