Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-19-2006, 04:40 PM   #16
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Sorry GR did'nt mean to intrude!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:52 AM   #17
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
The source for PRSUtil is available here

Right now there is code to copy a file from the reader to the PC, but it isn't working, and I haven't figured out why. I figured I'll make what I have done available as it should be very close to having that work; someone might see the error and point out a fix. I haven't written C in about 4 years so I apologize if the code is dumb.

I wrote this in VS.Net 2005 so the project file requires that but it would be easy to adapt; its pretty straightforward C (although some compiler may barf on the zero-size arrays).
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2006, 05:57 AM   #18
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver
Yup, source will come, probably tonight.
That's cool!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:09 AM   #19
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is an update to prsutil. It now supports basic file put/get:

prsutil get <path>

will get the specified file from the reader and save it with name 'junk'.

prsutil put <filename>

will put the specified file in the /Data/media/books diretcory on the reader, and

prsutil put <pcpath> <readerpath>

will put the specfied file from the PC to the specified target on the reader.

As before, use at your own risk yadda yadda.

At some point I'll make the interface more usable; right now I think its more important to just make it available in its kludgy form.

Included in the zip is the executable as well as the C project file (VS.Net 2005 native C code project; should be fairly easy to port to other C compilers; main tricky bit is my use of the non-standard zero length arrays in some of the structs).

I'll try hook this up with rss2pdf soon to make an automated RSS feed sync.

Last edited by geekraver; 10-28-2006 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:14 PM   #20
vvaann
Enthusiast
vvaann began at the beginning.

2 geekraver
Did I understand correctly? I have to collect/unpack all these files (PRSUtil.exe, PRSUtil.zip, ebookUsb.dll, prsctr.dll, new tt0003m_.ttf) in one directory (C:/tmp), attach the reader to USB and switch it on mode when the CONNECT software is off. Then write in the command prompt:
prsutil put <C:/tmp/tt0003m_.ttf> <B:/opt/sony/ebook/FONT/>
if my reader is shown as B: drive

and I have updated font on the reader???
or this utility is simply to add some stuff at any place and we cannot replace files???

Last edited by vvaann; 10-28-2006 at 05:22 PM.
vvaann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2006, 05:52 PM   #21
geekraver
Addict

I'm not sure what the deal is with fonts, as I haven't had much interest in that problem, but I got the impression that adding fonts requires reflashing the reader with a new filesystem image, not just copying files .ttf files to the reader. But if copying worked, then yes, you've pretty much got it; you would use a command like:
prsutil put c:\tt0003m_.ttf /opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0003m_.ttf
Note that you need to specify the full filename in the target path, not just the directory.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:04 AM   #22
gseryakov
Enthusiast
gseryakov began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver
... But if copying worked, then yes, you've pretty much got it; you would use a command like:
prsutil put c:\tt0003m_.ttf /opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0003m_.ttf
AKAIK /opt is mounted as a read-only Cramfs . So you can not copy to /opt/whereever.
gseryakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:12 PM   #23
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan
Well, there is already such program, it's called BookDesginer.
Does anyone have more information on this program?
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:57 AM   #24
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Well, except Jane's backlight "problem".

Yup, RTF works great, most of the files I have on my Reader are RTF, and I very much like the fact that I have so much control over the font, size, etc., and there's some discussion around here somewhere (tips & tricks thread , I think) about how to insert the meta-data into an RTF via notepad, so you can de-bloat it from Word, and still have that info.

The lack of in-line images is kind of a bummer, but I'm used to that from my Palm.
This may be a dumb question but if we convert something into .rtf can we also change the font type. Will the reader show up a font say in comic sans if saved that way or is it going to remain arial? I am curious.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #25
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
No, Reader can only use its built-in fonts.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:27 AM   #26
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Okay, thank you.

So another, is there more than one font in it? I have seen arial..... I haven't seen anything that you can change them if that is possible, you said built in fonts so that egged me to ask <G>
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:57 AM   #27
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It has three fonts I think, a serif similar to Times Roman, a sans serif similar to Arial and a courier analog.

igorsk is being modest, he's figured out how to add other fonts to the Reader's set, but as of yet it's a rather messy process (the thread is called "Reader Internals," I think, and it's a long and fairly technical one ). I'm one of the ones that is hoping that a self contained executable to handle managing fonts might emerge sometime soon.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:25 AM   #28
hn_88
Connoisseur
hn_88 doesn't litterhn_88 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Thanks for the nice tool, GeekRaver. Got it working after installing .NET framework. Maybe you can edit your post so that this is made explicit - "This program needs .NET framework - in case you don't have it installed already, you can download it from .... "

Otherwise the error message Windows gives is quite cryptic: just cannot run the executable!
hn_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:57 AM   #29
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think Internet Explorer 7 installs the most recent .NET framework when it installs, and Vista is supposed to have it integrated in the OS, so the problem will likely take care of itself in time. But you're right, an explicit statement would be a good thing.

Here's a link to the .NET framework if anyone wants it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:18 AM   #30
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
It works here (Windows XP), but only partially. I want to copy the content of the Reader to my HDD... so for instance, I use

Code:
PRSUtil get -R /opt/ c:\sonyreader
The program starts copying a few files, but then stops. This happens everytime, no matter which directory I am trying to copy.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote