Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #46
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOnyx View Post
Hi, since I'm right next to their booth and they are pretty friendly, they explained a little to me.

First of all, it is NOT e-ink. It's a normal, almost LCD like display that displays up to 4 level gray scale. However it still does not have a backlight (this is the cool part) because it uses a new reflective technology to get rid of the backlighting. Now the display quality is not that great but it's still, honestly, pretty cool.
Does it require power to maintain the image or to just change images?
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #47
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
pretty interesting but I have gotten spoiled with the page turn buttons on both sides of the Kindle. that honestly might be a deal breaker for me in future purchases
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #48
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
pretty interesting but I have gotten spoiled with the page turn buttons on both sides of the Kindle. that honestly might be a deal breaker for me in future purchases
Yeah, the table is rather ugly too. I don't think I'll bother until they put it on a more attractive table.

It's a demo chassis, not a product casing. They don't do product casing, they're a screen company. When it goes to market, other companies will make the actual device chassis and other hardware and software components.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 01-09-2010 at 01:31 PM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #49
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I think navigation is key for all these devices-once you become comfortable with certain options, it is really difficult to go without.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #50
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Mirasol screen need are not bistable technology. they need energy to maintain the screen, a very low amount of energy, but that not 0. I think that LiquaVista is the same type of screen. It need a low amount of energy to maintain the screen
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #51
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Yeah, the table is rather ugly too. I don't think I'll bother until they put it on a more attractive table.

It's a demo chassis, not a product casing. They don't do product casing, they're a screen company. When it goes to market, other companies will make the actual device chassis and other hardware and software components.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I think navigation is key for all these devices-once you become comfortable with certain options, it is really difficult to go without.
I gotta figure (I hope at least) that these producers are paying attention to those of us who are using and making note of the things we say are good or bad. I would think a user board like this would be a gold mine for the developers!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #52
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Another video from Engadget

[Edit] This post moved to a separate thread. Thank LDBoblo for correcting my mistake.

Last edited by soilwork; 01-09-2010 at 08:46 PM.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:35 PM   #53
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
Engadget posted another video of Mirasol display in high-res.

I cannot find a way to embed high-res youtube video here, so you may click the video to visit youtube for high-res video.

The article also mentions the following.

I am not sure whether it means that Mirasol consumes 1/6th of power than e-ink of the same display size, but it sure sounds like a promising option.

[Source]
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/09/q...lorious-1080p/
You could probably make another thread or add to one of the Mirasol threads. Mirasol and Liquavista are very different things.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #54
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
You could probably make another thread or add to one of the Mirasol threads. Mirasol and Liquavista are very different things.
Oops, thanks for the correction. I thought they are the same thing. And I guess I have to find a thread about Mirasol.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:16 AM   #55
Liquavista
Liquavista began at the beginning.

Device: Liquavista Color
@KindleKitten, we are watching the world's replies very closely and look forward to getting more feedback.
Liquavista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:37 AM   #56
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquavista View Post
@KindleKitten, we are watching the world's replies very closely and look forward to getting more feedback.
Do you really have a Liquavista Color as a reader or is it that just a wish for the future? Welcome to MobileRead, by the way!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #57
Liquavista
Liquavista began at the beginning.

Device: Liquavista Color
Yes, we made this prototype. As we are not module makers, the box is pretty big and we like to concentrate on the screen itself. But be patient, it is very worthwhile waiting for!
Liquavista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #58
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquavista View Post
Yes, we made this prototype. As we are not module makers, the box is pretty big and we like to concentrate on the screen itself. But be patient, it is very worthwhile waiting for!
So, how long are we talking [before there is an ereader product that uses this tech]? Months, years, decades?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #59
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Good question, BOb! I'm the curious position of having to decide between buying a replacement for my 505 or just waiting for one of these things to come on the market. The question would have a huge impact on my $600!
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #60
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Look like impressing, but the upper right corner is dead (look at the part that stay black) (and some parts of the left border are dead too, but in white )

I doubt they are ready for mass production.. But who knows ?
Well-spotted. I suspect this is the best unit they could produce in time for the show, which means manufacturing is still at a very early stage with considerable QC problems. Mass production will be a year off at least.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ces10