Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Penguin releases iPhone app for Hoffman's "The Left Hand of God" (TheBookseller)

from The Bookseller:
Quote:
Penguin is releasing its first e-book app in January, offering three chapters of big new year debut The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman free for download on the Apple iPhone.

The app will be available from 7th January and will offer users the option to buy the whole book after reading the opening chapters.

Digital publisher Jeremy Ettinghausen said the publisher was "really excited" by its first app. "Giving people the option to try-before-they-buy seems to us to be the best way of getting this book into as many people's devices and hands as possible and hopefully it will be a huge hit in all
formats," he said.
I think someone might have goofed somewhere. Penguin Group already has an iPhone app. I have it. I really have to question the value of writing an app simply to give away a 3 chapters. Surely they could have found a less costly distribution venue.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:32 AM   #2
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I guess they wanted to make the Switch from demo to Full book seamless, without downloading a new file and finding the place you stopped reading. Still, I want ONE app for all my books, not several!
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
For one thing, new content for an old app doesn't show up in the app store. A whole new app does.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I think it's a marketing strategy.

An extra app means more shelf space for the penguin brand in the itunes marketplace. Some apps are relatively easy to make and penguin probably have a large tech staff and churned it out in a week.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote