Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-28-2016, 05:14 AM   #241
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The US is a signatory to the Berne Convention, which requires a minimum copyright term of life + 50 years.
Perhaps, but in the US, the Constitution is the supreme law of the land. Treaties can be repudiated. It happens all the time.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:10 AM   #242
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We are straying from the subject of the thread. I suggest starting a new thread if you want to continue the discussion.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #243
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
I would love to have a favorite trilogy of my childhood in ebook form: Mary O'Hara's My Friend Flicka and the follow-up novels Thunderhead and The Green Grass of Wyoming. I remember buying My Friend Flicka from a book fair at my school when I was a horse-crazy 10-year-old and later found the other two novels as well. I read and re-read my battered old paperbacks until they fell apart. Every six months or so I check Amazon to see if they are available and I'm always disappointed. I keep clicking the "Tell the Publisher! I'd like to read this book on Kindle" link but to no avail so far. Thunderhead and Green Grass appear to be out of print so I don't hold out much hope. I may have to take matters into my own hands and create my own ebooks.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #244
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
I would love to have the Flicka books as ebooks too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
I would love to have a favorite trilogy of my childhood in ebook form: Mary O'Hara's My Friend Flicka and the follow-up novels Thunderhead and The Green Grass of Wyoming. I remember buying My Friend Flicka from a book fair at my school when I was a horse-crazy 10-year-old and later found the other two novels as well. I read and re-read my battered old paperbacks until they fell apart. Every six months or so I check Amazon to see if they are available and I'm always disappointed. I keep clicking the "Tell the Publisher! I'd like to read this book on Kindle" link but to no avail so far. Thunderhead and Green Grass appear to be out of print so I don't hold out much hope. I may have to take matters into my own hands and create my own ebooks.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:07 PM   #245
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Will you please define property?
Yes a book is property.
Intellectual property. So art you saying that an author or their estate should give their property away because it might benefit the public? And that the estate shouldn't benefit
Well in that case, a residence could benefit the public.
Should one give their property away to benefit someone else?
Books are no different from a house.
But you do not see a house being given away because the owner died.
But you are saying that someone's hard work should be given away because they are dead.
Well most assetts depreciate they have a shelf life rarely is it more than 50 years if they don't ie land they usually have to be released if it is freehold you still have to pay property tax yearly. Capital gains tax when you sell it.
If all artistic works had a similar tax system where you have to pay money to keep the rights instead of just upping the time period. Orphan work and unutilized rights will stop either the owner will try to exploit the rights to cover tax cost or let it become public to stop recurring costs.

Sent from my SM-G925I
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2016, 06:36 AM   #246
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Well most assetts depreciate they have a shelf life rarely is it more than 50 years if they don't ie land they usually have to be released if it is freehold you still have to pay property tax yearly. Capital gains tax when you sell it.
If all artistic works had a similar tax system where you have to pay money to keep the rights instead of just upping the time period. Orphan work and unutilized rights will stop either the owner will try to exploit the rights to cover tax cost or let it become public to stop recurring costs.

Sent from my SM-G925I
works for me.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #247
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadele View Post
I have Lisanne Norman's Turning Point (Sholan Alliance book 1) and the later ones in the series, but very annoyingly there is a gap of about 4 books after the first one. Drat that publisher
All is forgiven, Daw Books!

They are starting to release the missing books. I just bought Fire Margins and the final two missing books are available for preorder at Kobo.

cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:59 AM   #248
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Still waiting for:
Eddings books to reappear in the US.
Louise Cooper's Time's Master triology (the last is available, not the first two)
Loiuse Cooper's Chaos Gate triology
Margaret Mahy's The Changeover
Crawford Killian's Brother Jonathan and Lifter
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:17 AM   #249
orangekiwi
Addict
orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadele View Post
All is forgiven, Daw Books!

They are starting to release the missing books. I just bought Fire Margins and the final two missing books are available for preorder at Kobo.

Yay! thanks so much for posting this, I having been waiting to fill this gap in Lisanne Norman's ebooks for ages and had given up hope.

Now I'm just waiting for Nick O'Donohoe's Crossroads series especially The magic and the healing, although I fear this will never be an ebook as the series wasn't that popular
orangekiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:53 AM   #250
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Still waiting for:
Louise Cooper's Time's Master triology (the last is available, not the first two)
With regards to the Eddings books, I am fortunate in that I have a friend who lives in the UK who will buy UK only books for me. There are, of course, other ways around that restriction.

I have the Time Master's trilogy in paper. Cooper seems to be the sort of author who would benefit a lot by putting her books out as ebooks, but I see that she died back in 2009. I've found that heirs are rarely as aggressive about moving books to ebooks as the original authors. I, too, would like to get those two trilogies in ebooks.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:14 PM   #251
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Still waiting for:
I live in Spain, so I've been lucky for once with David Eddings'. But I'm waiting for Louise Cooper's too.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:24 PM   #252
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Mundania Press has a number of Louise Cooper's books in PDF format, if that's adequate for your needs, including the Time Master and Chaos Gate trilogies.

She was publishing with them before she passed away; they publish both electronically and in dead tree format. (I've been considering getting them myself, but don't know a reliable method of converting from a protected PDF to something more useful.)
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:47 AM   #253
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
She was publishing with them before she passed away; they publish both electronically and in dead tree format. (I've been considering getting them myself, but don't know a reliable method of converting from a protected PDF to something more useful.)
Using a decent OCR program such as Abbyy Finereader is generally the best way, although personally I'm happy to read PDFs on my iPad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #254
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Ezra Pound - The Cantos.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:45 AM   #255
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
The Eddings novels are slowly being republished at a rate of 1-2 per month. I would like to reread the Belgariad for the sake of nostalgia. 3 out of the 5 books are on Kindle now. I'm hoping that before winter ends books 4 and 5 will be on Kindle as well.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote