Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-21-2017, 03:19 AM   #29686
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I woke up this morning with a bloody face; I've had a nosebleed when I slept. Miraculously my sheets are clean. It's been a relatively dry winter, with a couple of cold snaps, a combination my nose doesn't like. I hardly ever get a prober nosebleed; usually just when I blow my nose some comes out.

Luckily the weather has warmed up and for the next week rain is predicted, so hopefully no more nosebleeds.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:17 PM   #29687
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
My time to vent a little:

My Amazon account was hacked today. The individual tried to transfer my gift card balance to someone else or buy another gift card to sell on Craigslist/eBay.

Fortunately, Amazon's security procedures stopped the hacker. The CS could read their chat sessions with the person pretending to be me.
It turns out Amazon allowed the transfer. The hacker took $100 from my gift card balance and transferred it to another account. Amazon's accounting dept is looking into it and will call me with the results of their investigation.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2017, 12:18 AM   #29688
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
It turns out Amazon allowed the transfer. The hacker took $100 from my gift card balance and transferred it to another account. Amazon's accounting dept is looking into it and will call me with the results of their investigation.
Good luck!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:03 AM   #29689
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
How? I wasn't aware you could do anything like that. You can't buy gift cards with a gift card balance.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:27 AM   #29690
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
How? I wasn't aware you could do anything like that. You can't buy gift cards with a gift card balance.

Sent from my XT1528
You can transfer your gift card to another account. Apparently people sell them for cash. The CSR says they frequently see them for sale online.
Advert
Old 02-24-2017, 09:27 PM   #29691
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
They won't return my $100 gift card amount unless I can produce the claim code that I no longer have.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:06 AM   #29692
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They won't return my $100 gift card amount unless I can produce the claim code that I no longer have.
Look on your card history in gift cards. It shows them there sometimes. Nevermind they now hide them like a CC.

How did you buy the gift card? Physical? Swagbucks? Virtual?

I'd send them a screenshot in the card history of the one it is. That should be proof enough.

Sent from my XT1528

Last edited by Blossom; 02-25-2017 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:00 AM   #29693
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
Look on your card history in gift cards. It shows them there sometimes. Nevermind they now hide them like a CC.

How did you buy the gift card? Physical? Swagbucks? Virtual?

I'd send them a screenshot in the card history of the one it is. That should be proof enough.

Sent from my XT1528
When you transfer gifts cards they actually remove them from your history and send them to the recipient. No record of the transaction in your account which is why they are a popular target with thieves.

Amazon knows the account where the cards went but need "confirmation" from me of the codes. They were virtual cards from MS.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:18 AM   #29694
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
When you transfer gifts cards they actually remove them from your history and send them to the recipient. No record of the transaction in your account which is why they are a popular target with thieves.

Amazon knows the account where the cards went but need "confirmation" from me of the codes. They were virtual cards from MS.
MS? You mean Bing rewards? They use to keep a history shows of orders not sure if they show codes though. I'm guessing you deleted the emails? Sorry just brainstorming here.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 02-25-2017, 03:30 AM   #29695
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
MS? You mean Bing rewards? They use to keep a history shows of orders not sure if they show codes though. I'm guessing you deleted the emails? Sorry just brainstorming here.

Sent from my XT1528
Yes, Bing Rewards. MS just resent the email with the codes.

I'll call Amazon with them later today. I'll only get a low-level rep from the Philippines if I call now.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:46 AM   #29696
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The restaurant next to my bedroom has a new machine, I suspect it's either an airconditioner or some sort of extractor fan (I think the latter, because it's not on all day), my father thinks it sounds like a compressor. It might just be not something new, but something old that needs maintenance and/or cleaning.

I can hear it clearly, usually from the afternoon until around 11pm on Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday and on Thursday, Friday and Saturday until just before midnight. Which means it's usually off by the time I go to sleep. However, not last night. The thing was on all night, and although during the day and evening it's a hum in the background during the night it's a very annoying sound. I eventually put in my earplugs.

They visit our store regularly, so I'll have to ask them if they have a new machine, strongly hinting that I can hear it clearly in my bedroom. Hopefully they forgot to switch it off last night and it isn't a concious decision to keep it on, but otherwise I'll pop by next week to ask if them to switch it off during the night.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:52 AM   #29697
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:

I'll call Amazon with them later today. I'll only get a low-level rep from the Philippines if I call now.
Yay!!!! That's great.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 02-25-2017, 10:16 AM   #29698
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:

Normally I resent resent mail, but that would be an exception. Congratulations.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:02 PM   #29699
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

The noise problem is almost solved.

This morning one of the owners of the restaurant came by, when he arrived this morning he found that his employees hadn't turned down the noisy extractor fan system, as they should have done. He knows me bedroom shares a wall with their restaurant. He came to ask if it had bothered me and apologized for it. He explained that when the thing was last serviced the maintenance men didn't put it level and it has now rotated itself into a noisy mess. The problem is that it's a special size and a new one has been ordered and it should arrive some time next week, and should be installed either in the second half of next week or the first half of the week after.

I explained to him that I didn't mind the noise during the day, but I would appreciate it if it's turned down at night. He's going to put up some notes on hard to miss places to remind his employees to turn it down.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:22 AM   #29700
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:

Glad to hear you might have this figured out.

Another option that might work to retrieve a gift card number for someone else is to go to the "redeem your gift card" page and activate (put the cursor in) the box where the gift card would be typed. In some web browsers if you have entered data in a field it will remember that data and show you old values that you have put in a field. This isn't normally useful for gift card numbers, normally only handy for filling out forms, but you may have stumbled on a reason to keep it enabled for other things too. Obviously this will only work if you use the same browser/computer for entering gift cards and have this feature enabled. I know this is a fringe/unlikely scenario, but it may help someone. I can see the last 4-5 GCs I have entered from my computer doing this.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness