Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
referer
referer began at the beginning.

Device: none
M92 vs. PB vs. wait? - A4, pdf, technology, textbooks, 9"+

Hi everyone,

I decided to investigate possibility of buying ebook reader for reading A4-format, (mostly TeX based) PDF files from technology fields (mathematics, comp. sci).

Since I realized how big difference is reading 8 hours paper vs reading 8 hours from LCD, and I do not want to print thousand pages I'm thinking about e-reader

Main question is Pocketbook (90x) or Onyx M92 or wait maybe for something else ?
As I understand Onyx M92 has very good "random access" (because of pen) and it has pearl e-ink (unlike PB). However, it is little bit expensive.

Is there any chance that good reader will come in next 2-3 months ?
If no, is there any viable alternative to M92 ?

Many thanks
referer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:27 AM   #2
referer

no one ?
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
My understanding is that currently M92 is the best option for "large" screen e-readers.

Speedy 800Mhz (of course Mhz is not everything) Freescale MX508 processor optimized for e-ink is a plus compared to slower general 533Mhz Samsung processor in Pocketbooks (and I believe Kindle DX as well).

All I can say that the same MX508 is quite responsive on my Iriver HD.

Still, Pocketbook 9xx series screens are also Pearls are they not? If once can get Pocketbook significantly cheaper than M92 then it would be a reasonable alternative.

Unfortunately, there seems to be dearth of e-readers in the large screen category.

Jetbook Color seems to be a dead end, horribly slow from all reports that I hear. Also it is running on obsolete Windows CE platform from what I understand, making mods more difficult.

If Amazon would lower price of Kindle DX to $199 I would buy it in a heartbeat, but it seems that 9.7 e-ink screen alone is around $180 sourced on Alibaba. Maybe Amazon gets it for $150 but still not much room for lower prices except on a blow out sale.

Theoretically one could produce a 12 inch e-ink reader, but I imagine the 12 inch Pearl screen from PVI costs way too much for any company to attempt producing a mass market product.
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
Still, Pocketbook 9xx series screens are also Pearls are they not?
No, they aren't; they are VizPlex.

The Onyx Boox M92 (and M91, but there isn't really a reason to prefer one over the M92) and the Kindle DX Graphite are the only Pearl 9.7" readers AFAIK.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
referer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
No, they aren't; they are VizPlex.

The Onyx Boox M92 (and M91, but there isn't really a reason to prefer one over the M92) and the Kindle DX Graphite are the only Pearl 9.7" readers AFAIK.
I thought so too, however I found myself mistaken after remembering
Jinke Hanlin V90
(http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...ail.asp?id=470)

Although, I would not prefer this model to DX/PB/Onyx, since it is very questionable quality and reviews says that page turning speed is terrible (that is not acceptable for technical reading) and is priced in way that is "too good to be true"
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
I've been in the same place you are. I don't think Pearl is all that much better than vizplex but the difference is noticeable. I have a Pocketbook 302, my daughter has a Nook STR. Her screen has higher contrast. I'd say hang out on the Pocketbook forum here at MR. People there will give the pros and cons for the PB reader. Some will be brutally honest about what's wrong with PB. There is even a thread about "Why did you choose 912 over M92?" or something like that. I ended up buying a Le Pan 9.7" Android tablet. It's a bit heavy so I might get a PB 912 after all. I was kind of waiting to see if they came out with a 922 or some follow-on.

You could always install duokan on a Kindle DX.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:12 AM   #7
referer

Yes, but DX is brutally overpriced in Slovakia

DX - about 450 USD (without tax)
M92 - about 375 USD (without tax)
Old 06-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
referer

Update: I don't need to annotate PDF files (which for is particularly good M92) -- can anyone tell how good is PB 912 in "random-access" (jumping from page X to page Y).
- How bad is 912 (=903) non-pearly e-ink display ?

I found out that difference is apx. Eur 100 (and better warranty), so if only thing is annotation, it's not worth it (for me)

Edit: grrr... why cannot pocketbook add pearl to 9.7"models ? Since they have it in 6" ...

Last edited by referer; 06-13-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
Is there no large screen ereader (~9") of quality that does not need a stylus? Too bad, seems not...or am I wrong?
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
referer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ring0_event View Post
Is there no large screen ereader (~9") of quality that does not need a stylus? Too bad, seems not...or am I wrong?
Actually, there is:
DR-900 from ASUS (there are some issues with availability - I think it is only available in Europe for now (?) ) - and I saw the Asus sipix e-ink display technology - nothing extra (mainly compared to pearl)
PB 902 is 9.7 reader with buttons only. Since there are only navigation + few service buttons and no hardware keyboard I dont think it's very usable (example: kindle; all kindles have either touch display or keyboard (actually, except for K4))
Old 06-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Thanks for the reply! Wow, the DR-100 has been mentioned since 2010, yet it's still not widely available in NA! I'm strongly considering a M92, so would you know how the DR-900 stacks up to this device?
Old 06-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #12
referer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ring0_event View Post
Thanks for the reply! Wow, the DR-100 has been mentioned since 2010, yet it's still not widely available in NA! I'm strongly considering a M92, so would you know how the DR-900 stacks up to this device?
I know M92 only from this forum ( thanks to booxtor and jbaach for his extensive video reviews).
I tried DR-900 in Bratislava - I didn't like it. Sipix from asus is inferior to e-ink pearl(tried on K4). Kinda sluggish; without pen (+/-), poor resolution (x768 (4:3)).
Like PB 903/912 - 533 MHz CPU (M92 has 800)
Since M92 is +40 eur (however from foregin country wihout import tax) I'm not considering DR900.

Thinking about ordering M92 today ...

Last edited by referer; 06-15-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: forgot ing :D
Old 06-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
ring0_event
Zealot

Thank you referer for that bit of information...I'll try and find those M92 video reviews again. The M92 is sounding better and better...