Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Pebble: E-Paper Watch

The Pebble: E-Paper Watch for iPhone and Android is a Kickstarter project that was looking for $100,000 but they’ve raised over $6 million from more than 42,000 backers and still have 24 days to go in their campaign.
Quote:
Pebble is the first watch built for the 21st century. It's infinitely customizable, with beautiful downloadable watchfaces and useful internet-connected apps. Pebble connects to iPhone and Android smartphones using Bluetooth, alerting you with a silent vibration to incoming calls, emails and messages.
The screen is described as "E-Paper", but the watch needs recharging once a week and the FAQ says:
Quote:
Q. Does it have a backlight? A. Yes, Pebble has a backlight to view the display at night.
E-Ink, and so far as I know any type of E-Paper, must use a frontlight, rather than a backlight. Still, this is the best E-Paper watch so far.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Oh this is really cool. I saw an image with the 3 watches come up on an image dump, and was intrigued by what it looked like (eink watch) but there wasn't any information to go on.

I may have to kick a few bucks in. This is something I'd love to play with and see what other functions can be performed with my phone.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The screen is described as "E-Paper", but the watch needs recharging once a week
I wouldn't be surprised by this. An ereader lasts longer, but not if you use it continuously, and not if you use it for more than reading. This comes with bluetooth and I'm guessing that that uses some of the battery.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I wouldn't be surprised by this. An ereader lasts longer, but not if you use it continuously, and not if you use it for more than reading. This comes with bluetooth and I'm guessing that that uses some of the battery.
You're right, the big battery drainer is going to be the bluetooth connection between user's phone and the watch; I wonder how big a battery impact the apps will have.

I really like the look of it (maybe not for work though), and the fact that it's so functional could get me to wear a watch again.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Would anyone by happenstance know if there exists an e-ink GPS?
Would be great on a golf course.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
very nice!
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I've been toying with the idea of getting my husband and myself these watches. I really like the red one with the black band.

Also, it's Canadian!

Last edited by Latinandgreek; 04-24-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The major paradigm shift with these watches is the weekly charging. Really really old watches used to require winding, but then self winding and year-long battery watches came along. However, we are now so used to weekly (or more often) charging of our portable devices that this does not seem a big deal any more.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The major paradigm shift with these watches is the weekly charging. Really really old watches used to require winding, but then self winding and year-long battery watches came along. However, we are now so used to weekly (or more often) charging of our portable devices that this does not seem a big deal any more.
I like the way it goes: you stop wearing a watch because your phone takes that function, then you wear a watch again because the watch takes on or extends functions of your phone.

We live in an interesting technological age. It's like seeing evolution in action and devices evolve to survive.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I like the way it goes: you stop wearing a watch because your phone takes that function, then you wear a watch again because the watch takes on or extends functions of your phone.

We live in an interesting technological age. It's like seeing evolution in action and devices evolve to survive.

The Dick Tracy Watch-phone was a briefly (somewhat) popular techno-toy 20 years or so ago; all the coolest kids had one. The problem of course was it had to be charged almost daily and the phone function was almost unusable; the form factor made it tedious to dial, talk or listen.

Miniaturization and other technologies, including battery, have come a long way since, so this is almost doable. Voice recognition could be used to dial. But unless they develop a non-tedious way of hearing, it won't take off. Earphones are a little passe, or quickly getting that way.

Maybe an implant directly in the ear! I mean, who wouldn't be willing to have a little out-patient surgery for technological convenience?

Last edited by Rob Lister; 04-25-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
Maybe an implant directly in the ear! I mean, who wouldn't be willing to have a little out-patient surgery for technological convenience?
You're talking about Futurama, aren't you?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Looks nice, but I can't help noticing (and pointing to it) this line in the FAQ:

Quote:
Q. How does it charge? A. We include a special USB cable. You can charge Pebble using your computer or any wall USB charger.
What exactly is a "special USB cable"? That reeks of "USB connector that only we possess so you have to carry the cable at all times and you won't get an adapter anywhere".
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
Shankill
Nameless Being

It's definitely a non-standard connector. From their update about how they're waterproofing Pebble:

Quote:
Pebble's USB cable is custom cable because the watch will be waterproof and can't have a big hole for the regular USB socket. We will be selling extra cables as well.
As much as I loathe non-standard USB connectors, this one's understandable.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyvros View Post
As much as I loathe non-standard USB connectors, this one's understandable.
Actually, not really.

The Motorola "Defy" cell phone is also waterproof (half an hour, a meter deep), but uses a standard USB Micro connector:

http://images.fonearena.com/blog/wp-...-micro-USB.jpg

The trick is the covering - it snaps into place and seals it. I have personally checked that it works, first thing when I got it.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #15
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
Actually, not really.

The Motorola "Defy" cell phone is also waterproof (half an hour, a meter deep), but uses a standard USB Micro connector:

http://images.fonearena.com/blog/wp-...-micro-USB.jpg

The trick is the covering - it snaps into place and seals it. I have personally checked that it works, first thing when I got it.
The Defy is much larger than a watch though. I expect this will have slightly indented external contacts and a sharp indentation on a surface at a right angle to them which the connector will fasten with.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote