Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 02-03-2017, 10:03 AM   #1006
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pynch View Post
The detail you chose to ignore is that I'm looking for the version of the 1930 Hogarth Press edition which is definitely not available on Amazon.
The text seems available elsewhere. What's special about the Hogarth Press edition?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:13 AM   #1007
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
It’s the only version with Virginia Woolf in full control over how it was printed and therefore the text with the most authority.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:51 AM   #1008
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Case closed: my library tried again and this time they could get the copies!
Old 02-24-2017, 08:30 AM   #1009
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I've just dived into a project to collect Stephen Leacock's short humor writings. Often called the "Canadian Mark Twain", but his style is not like Twain. Must be because they were both hugely popular and both funny. This won't be a single omnibus, he was too prolific for that.

oh, lord, now I have committed myself in public. Why did I do that?
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:35 PM   #1010
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I'm about to start work on The Young Cosima by Henry Handel Richardson
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:09 AM   #1011
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
I am just cleaning up the first four poetry books by Edwin Markham.

I have also done his "Ballad of a Gallows Bird". While the poem and his notes are in the public domain, the introduction in the edition I used is not. The introduction is by Louis Filler and he died in 1998 so I left it out.

There is fifth book, "80 Poems at 80" that I have been unable to find. Even the Toronto Reference Library doesn't have it. I don't want it badly enough to pay upwards of $30(US) to buy a copy. I might try for an inter-library loan next week unless someone here can point me to copy. No, Archive.org does not have a copy. Everything else but that.

I'll post what I have done by the end of the month.

I've been doing some other poetry but it is only public domain in life+50 countries, which Canada (for the moment) still is. I've been looking at e.e. cummings and Edna St. Vincent Millay. Maybe I'll pass them on to Gutenberg Canada.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:25 AM   #1012
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Have you tried Hathitrust.org? If they have it you'll be able to open it and read it, but I'm afraid you won't be able to download it.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:51 AM   #1013
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alas, I could not find it at HathiTrust. I wouldn't have to download if I can see it on the screen. When all else fails, there is always "print screen".

I tried a couple of second hand books stores just on the off chance. I'll try for an inter-library loan next.

It seems strange that I can find nothing. On the other hand, that is the only book of his that is still under copyright in the US. Having died in 1940, he is PD almost everywhere else.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:55 AM   #1014
pynch
why in?

The Digital Library of India has a pdf of it here.

Last edited by pynch; 03-17-2017 at 01:57 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #1015
grumbles
Addict

Got it! Many thanks. Of course the book was under the title "New Poems" and subtitled "Eighty Songs at 80". I was searching for "Eighty Poems at Eighty" which was the title from Wikipedia.

Running pdftopng on it as I write. I should have the books up by the end of the month.

Thank you again!
Old 03-20-2017, 01:31 AM   #1016
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@pynch --- how did you do that? I have very poor luck searching the DLI. If they aren't already listed in the archive.org mirror, I can't find them. Even when searching on the DLI site for titles I know they have (listed on the archive.org mirror), I get very patchy results.

@grumbles --- what do you use for OCR?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:28 AM   #1017
pynch
why in?

Don’t know … Luck? Their entries are often quite sloppy, so I usually use as few search terms as possible. This time the search for the author’s name showed the book on the first page of results.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:57 AM   #1018
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

very strange --- the other day, I searched for simply MARKHAM and only got hits for Markham, S. F. and Markham, Clements. I think their search engine has ADS.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:02 AM   #1019
pynch
why in?

Have you tried this one, too (the box for pdfs on the left)?
Old 03-20-2017, 04:06 AM   #1020
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Ah, thank you. That is helpful