Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
FaF
FaF can extract oil from cheeseFaF can extract oil from cheeseFaF can extract oil from cheeseFaF can extract oil from cheeseFaF can extract oil from cheeseFaF can extract oil from cheeseFaF can extract oil from cheeseFaF can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Matching Book Titles

Hi,

I have been using Calibre for quite a while and the library is now quite big.

Over time quite a few of the book titles (over 100) in the library do not match the titles on my Kindle.

The main reason for this is that when I update the metadata in Calibre to download things such as the book reviews, etc the updated version often changes the book title in the library.

This then causes Calibre to think that some books are not on my Kindle that actually are there.

Obviously I should have unticked the option to update the title in the metadata options but it's too late for those already in the library.

Until now I wasn't too bothered but I have recently moved a lot of books to the Amazon cloud and it would be useful to see which books are on the Kindle and which are in the cloud from the library.

I know there is a 'match book to library' but that can only be done one book at a time and it does not like it when things like Parentheses are used, which are used quite a bit on my Kindle.

Is there any way of automatically updating the library title with the Kindle title without overwriting the rest of the metadata (I have created custom columns, etc).

Thanks for any help.
FaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
As far as I know, there is no completely automatic, good, thorough and safe way to do what you want.

Besides a completely manual correction process, the only other means of getting things corrected is by using the Find Duplicates plugin to group similar authors/titles and make your corrections there. This might not result in capturing all books (it might miss a drastically renamed book) and therefore will not result in 100% accuracy. But it probably is your best shot.

Something to keep in mind... As I understand things, the more recent Kindles have a tendency to rename books automatically to match their Amazon ID -- but only if an ID# is supplied -- without user intervention. (Based on a message thread several months old now, not sure if this functionality has been changed.) I mention this, not knowing if you're aware of it.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
FaF
FaF can extract oil from cheeseFaF can extract oil from cheeseFaF can extract oil from cheeseFaF can extract oil from cheeseFaF can extract oil from cheeseFaF can extract oil from cheeseFaF can extract oil from cheeseFaF can extract oil from cheese

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I wasn't aware that Amazon can change the book title on the Kindle. I'll keep an eye on that.

I have now done the exercise manually. Took a while but it's looking good now.

I have added a custom column for 'location' so that the Kindle does not have to be attached for me to know where the books are.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaF View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I wasn't aware that Amazon can change the book title on the Kindle. I'll keep an eye on that.

I have now done the exercise manually. Took a while but it's looking good now.

I have added a custom column for 'location' so that the Kindle does not have to be attached for me to know where the books are.
If you side load and Keep the WiFi/3G OFF,

it can't

I jushate it when someone messes with my data/desktop without asking (I hate it more, when they, then do it anyway ) Many programs (Calibre does give you the option) throw Icons on my desktop without asking: Every update)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
FaF

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If you side load and Keep the WiFi/3G OFF,

it can't

I jushate it when someone messes with my data/desktop without asking (I hate it more, when they, then do it anyway ) Many programs (Calibre does give you the option) throw Icons on my desktop without asking: Every update)
I only normally switch WiFi on to download purchased books (battery saving), and I usually update my Calibre library once a week so any changes should be pretty obvious.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I jushate it when someone messes with my data/desktop without asking
Oh my, yes, I totally agree with all of the aggravation points you mention.

I've noticed over the last year or so that the commercialization of every possible aspect of a computer and it's functionality is getting out of hand. Everything about me (personally identifiable and anonymously), my hopes and dreams, hobbies and hang-ups, likes and dislikes, locale and immediate vicinity is becoming the selling point for every ad agency, con-man and huckster who can get their hands on the data.

I understand and accept ads and adware as an alternate development revenue stream... but I've noticed that lately adware isn't even asking for me to purchase the full version. Probably because pushing ads on me infinitely is far more lucrative.

Anyway, I seem to have gone off on a tangent, and begun ranting to boot... so... I guess I'll toddle off to another thread.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote