Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #16
GeorgeH
Addict
GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nexus 7
Missed it.
GeorgeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:02 AM   #17
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I think this should be in the news section too. It's not "general discussion".

According to all the information I'm finding, he was indeed taking advantage of his father-in-law. He acted as a agency, but he WASN'T an agency. He didn't take any submissions, he just took over some of the clients.

He was one of the plaintiffs trying to get Steinbeck's novels out of Penguin Group's hands according to the additional research I did. He was probably going to con them into signing the same waive of rights for all we know.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #18
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Perhaps Harper Lee should have had her sister Alice review the contract for her before signing? As of this time last year Alice Lee was still a practicing attorney.

Seriously though I hate to see an older person like Harper Lee take advantage of. I hope she will prevail in her lawsuit.

I am also always puzzled by those who think that they have a right to any book in ebook format, even if against the wishes of the author. I prefer ebooks, but do not think I have the right to demand that the author approve release of their book in that format. Especially with all the pirating going on.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #19
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I am also always puzzled by those who think that they have a right to any book in ebook format, even if against the wishes of the author. I prefer ebooks, but do not think I have the right to demand that the author approve release of their book in that format.
You might not know that ebook availability is an access issue for many people with disabilities, not just a slight preference or a convenience matter. Now that it's relatively trivial to create/release an ebook, for a person or company with the resources to do so to deliberately withhold a readily accessible format is not defensible.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #20
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
You might not know that ebook availability is an access issue for many people with disabilities, not just a slight preference or a convenience matter. Now that it's relatively trivial to create/release an ebook, for a person or company with the resources to do so to deliberately withhold a readily accessible format is not defensible.
Especially older people like Lee herself.
Plus, business-wise, it's 25% of the total market and more of the backlist market.
If she wants her book widely read, it needs to be on ebook.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #21
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Plus, business-wise, it's 25% of the total market and more of the backlist market.
Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't see how an ebook adds much for people with disabilities over and above what a large print paper book (available) or audio book (available) already provide.

Yes, it may not be a wise choice on her part to miss out on sales of ebook version that would not otherwise occur in other formats. That is her choice though. That and I don't think Lee need worry about her book not being read.

Perk up though yea who have been waiting for an ebook before reading this great book. Shortly before Ray Bradbury died he relented on that issue and many of his books are now available as ebooks. That and once Harper Lee dies whomever copyright is transferred to may allow ebooks to be sold.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #22
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't see how an ebook adds much for people with disabilities over and above what a large print paper book (available) or audio book (available) already provide.

Yes, it may not be a wise choice on her part to miss out on sales of ebook version that would not otherwise occur in other formats. That is her choice though. That and I don't think Lee need worry about her book not being read.

Perk up though yea who have been waiting for an ebook before reading this great book. Shortly before Ray Bradbury died he relented on that issue and many of his books are now available as ebooks. That and once Harper Lee dies whomever copyright is transferred to may allow ebooks to be sold.

Yep.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #23
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:

Spoken like someone who does not have any disabilities, I think?

Large-print books are larger and heavier than regular hardbacks or paperbacks. Larger size and more weight are concerns for those who have gripping problems. One font size does not fit all; sometimes the font in a large-type book is either too large or not large enough.

An ereader can be a godsend to those whose physical body and eyes are no longer in optimal condition because it allows precise customization to provide the most comfortable reading experience.

By not allowing ebook versions, authors are saying to a segment of their potential customer base that they are neither relevant nor necessary. To those authors I would say, if you don't need me then I don't need you, and when someone ultimately scans and uploads your book, I'll feel no sympathy when you cry publicly about it.

You'd think that Harper Lee would have learned from her own experience when she realized that she didn't understand the papers she had signed - perhaps because she couldn't read them well?
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #24
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Large-print books are larger and heavier than regular hardbacks or paperbacks. Larger size and more weight are concerns for those who have gripping problems.
And often, the same people with eyesight issues have strength and gripping issues (arthritis). My mother has both. She holds her kindle on her lap and touches lightly to page. She reads 6-10 hours a day.

(I offered her a KDX but she said it was too heavy.)

For the record, 13% of the US is over 60, adding up to 50 million.
http://transgenerational.org/aging/demographics.htm
Ignore them at your peril.

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-05-2013 at 01:59 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #25
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And often, the same people with eyesight issues have strength and gripping issues (arthritis). My mother has both. She holds her kindle on her lap and touches lightly to page. She reads 6-10 hours a day.

And if one particular book is unavailable, there are plenty of others. There is no obligation by an author to make their books available globally and to anyone who wants them.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #26
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I'm guessing that your location of "26 kly from Sgr A*" is not in the USA. I can't imagine a book that's more widely read in this country (unless it's The Grapes of Wrath). It's assigned reading in just about 95% of the High School American Literature courses. And very few public school systems in the US are offering e-readers.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #27
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Quote:

I am so laughing at myself. I read the address in the link and wondered if there are THAT many transgendered senior citizens out there.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #28
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And if one particular book is unavailable, there are plenty of others.
That's basically saying that if you can't get a copy of "To Kill A Mockingbird" in ebook format, you might as well just buy "Mona Lisa Awakening" by Sunny.

Quote:
There is no obligation by an author to make their books available globally and to anyone who wants them.
Then what is the point of publishing what you write, if you don't want to allow others to read it?
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #29
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I have to agree that it just seems baffling that an author would not want his or her books made available via new technology. Of course the author has no obligation to publish in any form; the author can just write for personal pleasure and never let anyone read. But once the words are out there, why should the author care about the package they're in?

Unless there's some sort of negotiating ploy, I just don't see the point of an author wanting to limit access this way.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #30
kennyc

catlady, I don't see it either personally, but all I'm saying is that an author has no obligation whatsoever to provide their work in any specific format, and certainly not in order to provide access to a specific subgroup as was being argued by Xanthe and meeera.