Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #31
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
Sony was so low key about T1 and T2. It reminded me the way Sony handled their GPS. I am afraid the ending is here.
People have been saying that for the last four years but they're still here. Why would they invest time and money into a UK store if they're pulling out? They're not!
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #32
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
The dictionaries on the Sony are not only easy to use, they are also good in quality. The English and American ones are from Oxford University Press and the other bilingual ones are either from Oxford or Collins. For this reason alone I'll continue to use Sony readers.
Yes, the dictionaries are great. I love having both the US and British versions of the English dictionary.

I really wish they would fix sorting the books by author so that they would sort by the author's last name instead of the first name.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:42 AM   #33
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Yes, the dictionaries are great. I love having both the US and British versions of the English dictionary.

I really wish they would fix sorting the books by author so that they would sort by the author's last name instead of the first name.
If you manage books via Calibre, you could change the metadata accordingly so it sorts the way you want.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #34
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am really really really hoping this is true. I ended up trading my T1 (and I've been with Sony from the 500!) for the kobo Glo, because the higher res screen and the light really make a world of difference.

Unfortunately on the software side the Glo is horribly lacking. My 200+ collections (shelves on the glo) that opened instantly on the Sony now take 2 minutes to load up, epubs that work on everything else will randomly skip pages, and font size will reset in the middle of some books for no apparent reason. The Kindle PaperWhite is out only due to storage - I like having all my books on me, so I need a microSD at the least, as I often travel, and usually read on the subways, and don't want to rely on an internet connection to swap books.

So assuming Sony can match the hardware in the screen/light department, I'll be getting one of their readers in a heartbeat.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #35
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I would definitely strongly consider a new Sony. I LOVE my T1, and have considered the Kindle PW and the Kobo Glo. However, I really don't ever want to deal with a Kobo again, too much work for little gain and too many headaches. Kindle, well all my libraries are epub, so don't want the hassle.

If Sony came up with a lit reader for a decent price, I would likely buy it, and if I loved it, 1 for my Mom too.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #36
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
The Sony PRS950 was my first ereader and because of that (and because of my naivety) I expected all ereader software to be as hassle-free, reliable and capable as that of the Sony Readers.

For example I never encountered any problems when reading epubs on my PRS950... and why should there be, right?
But to my dismay I discovered this is not at all so self-evident and common in the world of ereaders. I have encountered a plethora of weird epub displaying behavior on other brands of ereaders including my current Onyx Firefly.
I do not understand what the difficulty is, but apparently Sony is one of the very few that gets it right.

And I do miss the simple double tapping of a word to activate the dictionary and the easy switching to other dictionaries. And I also miss the high quality of those dictionaries.

Hurry up already Sony.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #37
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post

With calibre you can overcome the sorting problem quite easily:

Changing the author to author_sort:
Go to Preferences - Plugins - Device Interface - Sony - Customise plugin and check the relevant box: "Use authorsort for sort"
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a 650 and I am waiting for the next Sony. If it has a front light, I will be seriously considering getting one. I just hope they stay with IR touch so we won't have another layer on top of the screen

I've see the Kindle PW with the light down as low as it goes and I was not impressed by how dark it was. The T2 has a better looking screen without front lighting.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #39
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskariot View Post
With calibre you can overcome the sorting problem quite easily:

Changing the author to author_sort:
Go to Preferences - Plugins - Device Interface - Sony - Customise plugin and check the relevant box: "Use authorsort for sort"
I just don't see why Sony didn't make it sort by last name in the first place. I know someone who has a Nook, he told me it sorts authors by last name. Every library or physical bookstore I've been in sorts by last name. So why wouldn't Sony?
Old 04-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Personally, I prefer sorting by first name. I don't see what the issue is to look under S for say Stephen King then K.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #41
4691mls
Wizard

I just don't understand why they didn't go with established system.

After a lifetime of finding books in the library or bookstore by the author's last name, it just feels wrong to me to try to remember authors by their first names. I don't think of Jane Austen as "Jane"; I expect to find her books under "Austen".
Old 04-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #42
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
In old days, some Japanese music stores sorted western music by last name, people were so confused because Japanese use their family names first. Also, how do you arrange some bands' music, such as The Who, put it under T or W? It was easier to arrange them by the first letter. I don't think Sony's ereaders were mainly designed by Japanese engineers, but I can see why.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #43
4691mls
Wizard

hmm, maybe Sony did this because they're a Japanese company?
I'm so used to thinking of authors primarily by their last name that I have to stop and think to remember their first name.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:16 AM   #44
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
In old days, some Japanese music stores sorted western music by last name, people were so confused because Japanese use their family names first. Also, how do you arrange some bands' music, such as The Who, put it under T or W? It was easier to arrange them by the first letter. I don't think Sony's ereaders were mainly designed by Japanese engineers, but I can see why.
W - obviously.

The definite article 'The' is only there to refer to the band as an item.

I catalogue my music as 'Who (The)', 'Beatles (The)' etc. otherwise you end up with dozens of entries starting 'The'.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #45
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Personally, I prefer sorting by first name. I don't see what the issue is to look under S for say Stephen King then K.
Agree with JS Wolf, All my ebooks are sorted under first name/last name.

Nothing Sony has recently produced has swayed my away from my beloved PRS650.
Still use my old PRS505 to read in the bath(inside a zip lock bag) as the Ztouch interface on the 650 doesn't work too well(i.e. not at all ;-) in a bag.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote