Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #31
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
let me try and explain better. there's a 'library' icon, click on it and a small window opens up. in it i can choose which library to open. but through some odd occurence i have these extra choices that do not exist:

C:/Users/alan/ (gives an error that no library exists)
C:/Users/alan/eBooks/Calibre Library (x) (does nothing)
C:/Users/alan/eBooks/Calibre Library (2) (does nothing)

the first one never existed, the other two were deleted but none of them ever go away from being choices in the window.

thanks

--
Alan
Alan, which radio button do you have selected when you use the dropdown for choosing which library to open? You have choices for "Use existing library at the new location" "Create an empty library at the new location" and "Move current library to new location" none of which is what I really want to do if I'm just switching between viewing libraries.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #32
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@Shel... It's the top button you want "Use existing library at the new location". It really means "Use the library which is already stored at the selected location".
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #33
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@Shel... It's the top button you want "Use existing library at the new location". It really means "Use the library which is already stored at the selected location".
Thanks!! So maybe my original thought WILL work...
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #34
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool the first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Alan, which radio button do you have selected when you use the dropdown for choosing which library to open? You have choices for "Use existing library at the new location" "Create an empty library at the new location" and "Move current library to new location" none of which is what I really want to do if I'm just switching between viewing libraries.
the first one, "Use existing library at the new location", but you must use one of the other two first (if there's no library there yet).

i've solved my problem using jackie_w's procedure.

thanks
--
Alan
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:39 AM   #35
cyrilhopkins
the_funtom
cyrilhopkins began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is there a way to search across all libraries?

Hi there,

I have created several libraries like non-fiction, fiction, magazines, newspapers but is there a way to search for a book across all libraries?

Is there a search function that enables you to do that?

Thanks
cyrilhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:46 AM   #36
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrilhopkins View Post
I have created several libraries like non-fiction, fiction, magazines, newspapers but is there a way to search for a book across all libraries?

No .
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #37
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrilhopkins View Post
Hi there,

Thanks
Walt's answer is why you DON'T want multiple libraries (without extenuating reasons).

Tags within a Single library will accomplish the same thing.
Think of each of those Library's you have created as a Tag.

Want to see only Newspapers. (don't get lost here. there are 3 different uses of Tag here)
Click the Newspapers Tag inside the Tags section of the Tag Browser .

Since you want to do additional searches, it may be easier to create a 'Newspaper' FILTER.

Once a filter is applied, searches only look at the filtered results.
Setting up saved filters is easy and is covered in the manual.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #38
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I've just read through this entire thread, but unfortunately I'm mystified by most of the discussion. I was looking to see if I could maintain two libraries at the same time and just point to whichever I wanted. I'd rather have my library and my wife's library kept separately.
My real concern is just how many books Calibre can safely manage. Perhaps I have no reason for concern. If I were to have 2500 or 3000 books will I run any greater risk that I'll experience difficulty or corruption in my library?
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #39
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
I've just read through this entire thread, but unfortunately I'm mystified by most of the discussion. I was looking to see if I could maintain two libraries at the same time and just point to whichever I wanted. I'd rather have my library and my wife's library kept separately.
My real concern is just how many books Calibre can safely manage. Perhaps I have no reason for concern. If I were to have 2500 or 3000 books will I run any greater risk that I'll experience difficulty or corruption in my library?
How many books can your disks hold

AFAIK the only restriction is The whole Library must be on ONE (logical) drive. You can have more that one on a drive.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #40
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
How many books can your disks hold
Well then I guess I'm safe . . . and humbled.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #41
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Well then I guess I'm safe . . . and humbled.
Have fun.
There are folks that have 10-20K worth of books in a Library. You might get sluggish performance, especially on a Limited RAM machine (RAM is cheap, IMHO go for the maximum the the OS<->hardware supports) or a older CPU (I run P4's)
Old 07-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #42
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
easy peasy - the 2nd option on the library tab is "quick switch". if you have just 2 libraries then you toggle between them with that control- so it's a one click solution.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #43
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
easy peasy - the 2nd option on the library tab is "quick switch". if you have just 2 libraries then you toggle between them with that control- so it's a one click solution.
Ahhh -thank you! I had looked at that in the past, but the wording seemed to be offering either the moving of my library or starting over. I think I was just a little skizy having had some library problems in the past.

This is exactly what I wanted.