Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
Heather56
Heather56 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G + Wi-Fi
Water For Elephants/ City of Fallen Angels

I'm in Canada so the Amazon store will not let me purchase either of these books. Any help on where to get it would be great!

(It actually won't let me purchase either of them from anywhere)

Does anyone have either of these books?

Water For Elephants - Sara Gruen
City of Fallen Angels - Cassandra Clare

Last edited by Heather56; 05-23-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Heather56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather56 View Post
I'm in Canada so the Amazon store will not let me purchase either of these books. Any help on where to get it would be great!

diesel ebooks, kobo, barnes and noble, and feedbooks all have either one or both, but all are drmed so you'd need to strip the drm and convert the format to mobi/prc to make it readable on a kindle. see the calibre forum for the conversion tools.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 02:05 AM   #3
Heather56

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
diesel ebooks, kobo, barnes and noble, and feedbooks all have either one or both, but all are drmed so you'd need to strip the drm and convert the format to mobi/prc to make it readable on a kindle. see the calibre forum for the conversion tools.
Thanks, I'll check it out. The problem wasn't them not having it, it was that as soon as I found them on the site and punched in that I was in Canada to buy them then they become unavailable.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:06 AM   #4
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:

I've got Water for Elephants. I got mine from the library. Why don't you check there?
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You can create an account using a US address. Use gift cards instead of a credit card and buy the books that you want.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
You can create an account using a US address. Use gift cards instead of a credit card and buy the books that you want.
What ProfCrash said.

If you just want to buy two books just go to the Manage Your Kindle page and put in a US address, buy the books, and then change it back. Look up the address of a Holiday Inn somewhere. People don't usually get blocked until they try to buy about 5 or 6 books at a time.

If it makes you feel better you can go to a VPN server and fake a US IP - but I wouldn't bother for just two books.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
Heather56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
I've got Water for Elephants. I got mine from the library. Why don't you check there?
Your library lets you get books, and in kindle format? I don't think our library does that yet, not even in epub.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
Heather56

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
What ProfCrash said.

If you just want to buy two books just go to the Manage Your Kindle page and put in a US address, buy the books, and then change it back. Look up the address of a Holiday Inn somewhere. People don't usually get blocked until they try to buy about 5 or 6 books at a time.

If it makes you feel better you can go to a VPN server and fake a US IP - but I wouldn't bother for just two books.
That works? I thought they'd know still because of where things have been sent in the past and sending it to the same kindle. But maybe I'll have to try that.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks, I'll check it out. The problem wasn't them not having it, it was that as soon as I found them on the site and punched in that I was in Canada to buy them then they become unavailable.
Kobo as both books. Give Kobo a try and see if you can buy from there. If you can strip the DRM, then you can easily convert them to Mobi for use with your Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
That works? I thought they'd know still because of where things have been sent in the past and sending it to the same kindle. But maybe I'll have to try that.
They'll stop you eventually and send an email asking you to clarify your location. But you should be fine for one or two books.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
city of fallen angels, ebooks, kindle, water for elephants