Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-19-2018, 06:21 PM   #1
Crescendo63
Crescendo63 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Exclamation Calibre cannot convert AZW file (locked by DRM)

I just bought a book from Amazon, and i was going to convert it into EPUB for reading on my Kobo (after downloading it to my computer using the "Kindle for Mac" app - I don't own a Kindle e-Reader).

I've always used Calibre (with the DeDRM plugin) to convert Kindle books this way, and it has always been successful.
Until today :-(

Calibre imports the Kindle AZW file (metadata included), but it cannot read nor convert it. It says "This book is locked by DRM", etc.
- I updated DeDRM
- I updated Calibre
- I read about Amazon's new KFX format, thus I downloaded the 1.17.1 "Kindle for Mac" app and retried, but it didn't change anything (it wasn't an KFX file after all).

It looks like this particular eBook has some quirks, but I cannot imagine what they are.

Do you have any hint, idea or strategy to try?
I'm on an Apple Mac with MacOSX 10.9.
Crescendo63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Since that book still has DRM you have to ask for help at either Apprentice Alf’s blog or Apprentice Harper’s GitHub. Help with DRM removal cannot be provided on this site.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2018, 12:30 AM   #3
Crescendo63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Help with DRM removal cannot be provided on this site.
Ah, ok. Sorry about that.

Thank you for your suggestion.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:52 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please ask Calibre questions in the Calibre forum, not here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:57 PM   #5
Crescendo63

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please ask Calibre questions in the Calibre forum, not here.
I now know.
Since I've seen several threads here discussing Calibre and DRM, I thought it was allowed. My bad.

Anyway, I found the solution to my issue - in case anyone might be interested: Calibre must be run under the same User where the "Kindle for Mac" has imported the Kindle book. It has worked flawlessly this way.
Why some Kindle books need this, and others are happily converted regardless of Users, is beyond me
Advert
Old 11-20-2018, 05:46 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescendo63 View Post
I now know.
Since I've seen several threads here discussing Calibre and DRM, I thought it was allowed. My bad.

Anyway, I found the solution to my issue - in case anyone might be interested: Calibre must be run under the same User where the "Kindle for Mac" has imported the Kindle book. It has worked flawlessly this way.
Why some Kindle books need this, and others are happily converted regardless of Users, is beyond me
That's because not all Kindle books have DRM. Many don't. But yes, you need the same user account for those with DRM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:44 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That's because not all Kindle books have DRM. Many don't. But yes, you need the same user account for those with DRM.
Are you sure that it is not an OS file permissions issue combined with a misleading error message?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:29 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescendo63 View Post
You can mention Apprentice Alf and DeDRM, even link to the site now, you just can't discuss how it's done or set up here. (Kind of a fine line.)

(I'm pretty sure these are still the current guidelines on this subject.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:38 PM   #9
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Positive Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
You can mention Apprentice Alf and DeDRM, even link to the site now, you just can't discuss how it's done or set up here. (Kind of a fine line.)

Anyone know when and why rules were changed to allow the mention of Apprentice Alf and DeDRM? It helps MobileRead maintain an open and inviting atmosphere and I think it will help in competition for mind space with other communities which share overlapping interests.

Personally, I feel whiplash when I see someone chastised and the more open and liberal we can be with our rules the better.
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:24 AM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
Personally, I feel whiplash when I see someone chastised and the more open and liberal we can be with our rules the better.
You have to walk that line between free discussion and having MobileRead beset by lawyers.

That happened years back to one forum I used to lurk in when some of the discussions went overboard in discussing circumventing software that was locked by such means as a physical dongle (or "how to Unlock HardLock"), needing a CD in the drive with a sideline in damaged CDs so a copy without the damage wouldn't work, etc. Evidently some of the software companies were not happy with such discussions and invoked the DMCA. Talk about taking a sledgehammer to swat a mosquito -- who knew that a judge could decide copying a program from your hard drive to RAM constituted making a second unauthorized copy.

Looking at the MobileRead FAQs check section 8 of the Posting Guidelines"

While DRM removal may be discussed in the abstract, the following are not allowed at MobileRead:

discussing DRM removal to pirate content;
providing detailed how-to instructions;
uploading of DRM-removal tools;
direct download links to DRM-removal tools.

Further information on our policy on copyright, uploads and DRM can be found here.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-21-2018 at 01:32 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:24 AM   #11
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You have to walk that line between free discussion and having MobileRead beset by lawyers.

That happened years back to one forum I used to lurk in when some of the discussions went overboard in discussing circumventing software that was locked by such means as a physical dongle (or "how to Unlock HardLock"), needing a CD in the drive with a sideline in damaged CDs so a copy without the damage wouldn't work, etc. Evidently some of the software companies were not happy with such discussions and invoked the DMCA. Talk about taking a sledgehammer to swat a mosquito -- who knew that a judge could decide copying a program from your hard drive to RAM constituted making a second unauthorized copy.

Looking at the MobileRead FAQs check section 8 of the Posting Guidelines"

While DRM removal may be discussed in the abstract, the following are not allowed at MobileRead:

discussing DRM removal to pirate content;
providing detailed how-to instructions;
uploading of DRM-removal tools;
direct download links to DRM-removal tools.

Further information on our policy on copyright, uploads and DRM can be found here.
I have barely been here a year but it wasn't too long after I joined when I saw someone censored for mentioning the name of a DRM removal tool. Nice to see that Github which has more to lose feels safe enough hosting such tools. They are a strong player in the software world and can serve as a canary in the coal mine..

I understand playing a safe game though, just drew my attention :-)
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:46 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post

That's correct. No discussion of the "how to" of DRM removal is permitted.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:00 AM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
I have barely been here a year but it wasn't too long after I joined when I saw someone censored for mentioning the name of a DRM removal tool. Nice to see that Github which has more to lose feels safe enough hosting such tools. They are a strong player in the software world and can serve as a canary in the coal mine..

I understand playing a safe game though, just drew my attention :-)
It comes down to concepts such as safe harbor, if a site is moderated and where the site is hosted. Wordpress and github are not moderated so they have less legal risk. In general, I think, that as long as we are talking about backing up or format shifting content we have purchased, there is a lot more leeway given than if we run up the Jolly Roger.

Ultimately, it's a Golden Rule issue, he who has the gold, makes the rules, or more specifically, the site owner makes the rules and as guest on his site, it's polite to follow those rules.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
the site owner makes the rules and as guest on his site, it's polite to follow those rules.
I understand your drift, but I think I must say that it's not just polite, it's mandatory.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:51 PM   #15
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I understand your drift, but I think I must say that it's not just polite, it's mandatory.
My momma and grandmother taught me that politeness is manditory.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote