Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-16-2018, 12:32 PM   #61
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
That depends on content type. My manga (Japanese comics) averages around 80MB per volume so 32GB would barely fit ~400 of those. A piece of cake even for the PW3.
Which is why I'm asking: previous 32GB KINDLE models have been geared towards PDF and Manga, not Gutenberg-sized accumulations.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #62
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have tried reading using blue light and do not like it. This feature is not for me.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2018, 12:35 PM   #63
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
If suddenly, after all these years, I decided I wanted to buy a Paperwhite for delivery tomorrow (or the next day) — I just realized I couldn't get one. Well, not from Amazon anyhow. Best Buy is offering free one day delivery to my house. (I didn't know they did that.) I also just realized the Paperwhite's price jumped by $10, to match the Clara?

I finally found the old Paperwhite page. Not available. How long before they show up on Woot?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paperwhite.png
Views:	270
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	166958  
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:38 PM   #64
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Also just realized that (so far) they're not offering a white version of the new Paperwhite. I wonder if that will change?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #65
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDP View Post

Content Formats Supported
Kindle Format 8 (AZW3), Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, PMP through conversion; Audible audio format (AAX).

Finally, PMP support! But what happened to BMP support?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #66
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Any word on the CPU/RAM yet?
32Gb storage won't be too useful if the firmware can't manage big accumulations.
It supports invert black and white mode so I assume it is same as Oasis 2, or at least an update from previous models.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:59 PM   #67
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
I'm seeing a lot of complaints elsewhere about the new Kindle Paperwhite not having a USB-C charger. Can't say that I blame them.
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:45 PM   #68
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Probably an urban legend.
(Confusing Kindle with FIRE OS gadgetry.)
Actually it is real. There is a Kindle X sold in China, which is a basic e-ink Kindle running a version Fire OS with two apps, a Kindle reader and a Migu reader. Migu is part of China Mobile and sells e-books and other media.

It seems to have been a one-off thing in order to include the Migu reading app and I doubt it performs very well. I strongly doubt that Amazon will be moving to Android for their mainstream Kindles.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:46 PM   #69
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
They could have called it, oh, I dunno... Voyage 2?
Good point.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #70
Threepwood
Threepwood began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm guessing not. I'm guessing it will be the same as the current Bluetooth support in the Kindle Basic (8th Generation) and the newest Oasis.
I guess you are right. I wonder why. Amazon promotes Immersion Reading and the Kindle already supports Whispersync and Whispersync for Voice...
Threepwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #71
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I really like that it has a flush front. I may just ask for this for Christmas. I have a second generation Paperwhite but would like the higher resolution, waterproof, more storage in this model.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #72
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threepwood View Post
I guess you are right. I wonder why. Amazon promotes Immersion Reading and the Kindle already supports Whispersync and Whispersync for Voice...
I assume it is a battery issue. Updating the e-ink screen to highlight each word as it is read would drain the battery very quickly.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #73
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Barry, do you ever read in a completely darkened room? That's when I most notice the amber light.

I agree that the light on my Aura is perfectly adequate. So is the 212 ppi screen. But that doesn't mean newer features aren't notably nicer.
I never read in a dark room. I sometimes do read at night on my front porch with no light, although it's not all that dark there.

And yes, I like more and better features when they're features I'll use. I can't really tell the difference in 212 ppi and 300 ppi on an ereader so that isn't an issue for me.

When I first got my original Aura, which was my first Kobo, I thought I'd found the perfect reading device for me. Then I began encountering it's bugs and the limitations of it's firmware. Nothing major but just enough to take the edge off it's perfection. If it had the reliability and feature set of the Kindles of that same time I doubt I'd have bought anything else after. But i went back to the Kindle.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:13 PM   #74
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
When I first got my original Aura, which was my first Kobo, I thought I'd found the perfect reading device for me. Then I began encountering it's bugs and the limitations of it's firmware. Nothing major but just enough to take the edge off it's perfection. If it had the reliability and feature set of the Kindles of that same time I doubt I'd have bought anything else after. But i went back to the Kindle.

Barry
I agree with you on the PPI not really mattering, etc. I've also not found the shortcomings in the Kobo software you did and I really like the compact size while still having a 6" screen.

But the new Kindle looks nice to me and a little bit I'm just itching to try something new
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:30 PM   #75
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
So, it looks like the major features of the new Paperwhite is waterproof, more storage and Bluetooth access (a big plus for text-to-speech or Whispersync). Sure, there are other features, but these seem to be the 3 majors.

BarryEm, I never needed lighting either but the big thing now at all the doctor's offices is darker lighting so people can read their computers/tablets/phones. I finally caved on that.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote