Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
CWPitcher
CWPitcher began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Touch, iPhone
Unhappy WiFi "Network Error" suddenly occurs

I have a new problem with my Kobo Touch. I can connect via wifi to the store and I'm able to post achievements to Facebook, but when I sync from the home screen I get "network error". I have been syncing successfully for over a month. I have also been syncing fine since the latest firmware update.

I downloaded and synced my newspapers Monday to Thursday this week, then Friday - no sync. I have made no changes to my network at all, and I have not even reset my modem.

Has anyone else seen this? I have not updated the firmware or done anything unusual. I've never reset the device, I only have 3 books and 4 newspapers loaded.

Completely at a loss.

Last edited by CWPitcher; 09-16-2011 at 08:16 PM.
CWPitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Strange. Can you try rebooting the device?
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
CWPitcher

I just did a basic reset, and that did not resolve the connection issue. I can still post to Facebook and browse the store, but I get the "Network Error" pop up when I sync on the home screen.

Thanks for responding so quickly Sameer. Any other ideas before I try a hard reset?

Cheers

Last edited by CWPitcher; 09-16-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPitcher View Post
Thanks for the prompt reply. Do you mean I should reset with the pinhole on the back, then redownload my books/firmware?
I meant simply turning it on / off, unless you've tried that already. Don't want to do a factory reset if you haven't tried rebooting.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
CWPitcher

Ok I just did the reboot and it is behaving in the same way. Store and Facebook work, syncing does not. I receive the "Network Error" pop up.
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
This one cropped up for me yesterday. The notable thing ws that the network error dialogue needed to be cleared twice.

At first I thought it was my wifi, but a re-boot of that didn't work. Turning kobo on and off didn't work. The pinhole reset didn't work. In the end, I exhausted all options and did a factory reset and that solved the problem. It seemed like something was corrupted and needed a re-install.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
CWPitcher

Thanks nogle and Sameer

Yes I had to clear the error twice each time that I tested it as well. I will try the hard reset later and post my results back here. Something corrupted sounds plausible too.

Cheers
Old 09-16-2011, 11:24 PM   #8
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
With earlier software versions with similar problem for KT I deleted trial books with windows explorer emptied garbage then rebooted . It then started to work again.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
QueenPepper
QueenPepper began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
For what it's worth, I just tried to do a wireless update from the home screen on my KT and ran into the same problem.
QueenPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There was a power outage this AM and Kobo is working to restore everything. Anything that is happening now is probably NOT related to other WiFi issues.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
Mike P
Mike P began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I had the same issue but it may be related to a couple of wifi connections I had on my Kobo. I just returned from vacation an had used a number of wifi connections. When I tried to delete the connections, all deleted fine except two. Trying to delete these final two wifi connections caused my Kobo to hang. I also experienced the same "Network Error" message with the same behaviour (wifi connects-can browse-but cannot update). Of course, correlation may not indicate causality. This being said, a factory reset solved the issue.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I noticed this a couple of days ago and it still occurs for me.
I know it worked ok last week some time as I check for updates every few days.

Using 1.9.10
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #13
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Just to clarify the message I get is as follows:
Quote:
Network error
Oops, something happened to your internet connection and we couldn't finish your update.
Please check your connection and try again
My internet connection is just fine, it's just when I try to do an update from the home screen. I don't want to do a factory reset, I hope a new firmware is coming out soon as now this issue is on top of the text being partially displayed makes it 2 problems I'm having.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #14
CWPitcher

Thumbs up Fixed

Factory reset corrected the issue for me.

One other detail in case it helps - when it was not working I could browse the store but at the point where I actually tried to purchase something, I would get the error as well.

Thanks everyone for the help and comments.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #15
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Mine just started doing this last night. Reset the modem, turned the device off and on, even deleted the network and put the password back in. Still getting network errors every time I try to sync.

But I can get to the store, and use the browser without problem. It also updates my bookmark when I put it to sleep. It's only after hitting the "sync" button on the main page that the network error occurs.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote