Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-13-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
beomagi
beomagi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Question How well does the Kindle app work on other devices?

Hey all, I have a kindle keyboard (3) from 2010, and I'm looking at upgrading to an android based device.

The likebook mars caught my eye.

I have books I purchased for my kindle, some have DRM, so I won't be able to convert them to an open format.

I've read that the kindle app doesn't work well on android e-ink devices because of animations (didn't see much more that that).

This seemed like a general statement, I'm hoping that either some devices do handle it well enough, or that there's some way around it. Do most off-brand android e-readers have ways to read kindle books well enough?

Can APKs be directly installed?

Are there any common problems with android based e-readers? I'm assuming battery life takes a big hit.
beomagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
The kindle app is designed to work on tablets, not ereaders. Ereaders don't use apps. I don't know what a likebook is.

My Nook Glo3 is an android e-reader and while it has great battery life, I think the Kindle does better. I haven't exactly tried them side by side though.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:17 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
The kindle app is designed to work on tablets, not ereaders. Ereaders don't use apps.
You're wrong, there are many android based ereaders that run apps.

@beomagi I have read a little in these forums about the Likebook Mars and it looks very promising. Apparently at this point it doesn't support the Google Playstore, but they say it will with the next update. Even without the Playstore Amazon has their Appstore that you could easily load onto any Android Ereader. Once it is loaded you can load the Kindle app.

I just installed the Kindle app on my Icarus Illumina XL HD. I have the Likebook Plus firmware installed. The Kindle app was easy to install and I was able to sync to my Amazon books. I grabbed one book and it reads fine. Until now I have never used the Kindle app so I haven't tested any of the advance features. Good luck choosing a device.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:37 AM   #4
beomagi
beomagi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Thanks Doc, good to know. I saw a video of your device handling the kindle app, and while animated, page turns weren't bad at all, and didn't leave artifacts on the screen.

While I get probably most my purchased books of humble bundle, there's some things I get off amazon because of deals or availability.

Given that the likebook mars looks like a hardware update to the lifebook plus (albeit new OS can mean more changes...) which is what you have, are there any quirks you can share concerning the device? Any workarounds in your usage?
beomagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:48 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by beomagi View Post
Thanks Doc, good to know. I saw a video of your device handling the kindle app, and while animated, page turns weren't bad at all, and didn't leave artifacts on the screen.
You are correct. I had to go back and try it again because I didn't recall any animation. Most page turns I see no animation but about 35% of the time I do see parts of the sliding page turn animation. As you state there are no artifacts and the page turns are quick.

Quote:
While I get probably most my purchased books of humble bundle, there's some things I get off amazon because of deals or availability.
I take all my Amazon purchases, remove the DRM and convert to epub. So I use Moon+ Reader Pro for all my reading.

Quote:
Given that the likebook mars looks like a hardware update to the lifebook plus (albeit new OS can mean more changes...) which is what you have, are there any quirks you can share concerning the device? Any workarounds in your usage?
I use my ereader as a ereader not a tablet. So to save battery life, I once I have my books on the device I turn off wifi, turn off bluetooth and turn off notifications. I also set the device to power off after 2 hours of inactivity.

I go over the apps I use on a regular basis in this post. Currently my device doesn't have anything that causes me issues for what I do.

This thread has a good conversation about the Likebook Mars.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:06 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
the kindle app for android works well BUT it turns on one clickpurchases AND puts a get the audiobook banner across every book you open. So you are always one careless tap away form an unwanted purchase. with amazon hardware you can set parental controls but on android you are wide open to shop in all amazon apps, including the kindle one.

because of that issue, I decided long ago that it was safer to to convert my amazon books to epub and sideload them instead. I'd rather give up having whisper sync across devices and get rid of purchasing option ( I can sync epubs anyway with moon+ & dropbox).

the only other niggle I had with the kindle for android app, compared to the amazon hardware version was that the bottom margin was very narrow and not adjustable - but that could be a device specific thing.

ps, if eyestrain/risk bothers you, you can run a blue light filter app alongside the kindle app on most android devices, if there is not one built in ( my Samsung tablet already has one, and my preferred Moon+ reader also has its own ).
the kindle app has the option of a green page background, as well as the usual white, sepia, black. I like the green. it also allows for 2 column landscape mode on some devices but that seems to be device specific.

Last edited by stumped; 09-15-2018 at 01:09 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:29 AM   #7
airbus02
Enthusiast
airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kindle pw3
I have a Boyue Likebook Plus and do virtually all my reading through the kindle for android app. It works fine. I miss page turns now and then, so have to swipe twice, but I suspect that's more an issue with the firmware/touchscreen than it is with the kindle software.

Kindle does work better on an actual kindle: it's more responsive. Still, that shouldn't surprise anyone. I've always thought Kindle for Android works well enough. For now, I like having a 7.8" e-ink screen, more than I like the slightly snappier feel of reading from a kindle.
airbus02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #8
jonathanv
jonathanv began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Plus
Like airbus02, I use the Kindle app on a Likebook Plus and it works fine, animations are not a problem, I tap to flip pages and I hardly see them. Only the carrousel is a bit awkward to navigate.
The battery on the Likebook Plus is fine for reading, it will take a hit when you're using wifi and downloading...
jonathanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #9
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
I have a Likebook Mars, and I have been comfortably reading Kindle books with the Kindle app on it. It is best to use it in A2 mode, which makes the animations less distracting, and to uncheck Page Curl in settings. It shows a little shift like the text is moving, then it shows the new text. Comparing it to what my Kindle Touch does, it is actually less distracting. The Kindle Touch phases from one page of text to a new page of text, and when I compare these behaviors side-by-side, the Kindle Touch behavior is actually more distracting. But when I'm reading on either device, I hardly pay attention to the transition.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:10 AM   #10
azw409
Connoisseur
azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.

Device: Solar powered Kobo Touch running Android, Onyx M96C, Likebook Mars
I also use it on a Likebook Mars without A2 mode and it works great. It's pretty comparable with a real device except it's much more responsive. The contrast is good when reading which is probably the most important consideration.
azw409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #11
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
Quote:
I've read that the kindle app doesn't work well on android e-ink devices because of animations (didn't see much more that that).
That's basically it. It has page turn animations without any option to turn them off. You just have a choice over which animation you prefer. I would rather have seamless page turns than animated ones. I am able to get seamless page turns with Moon+Reader, which has given me motivation to find some free classics to read.

Quote:
This seemed like a general statement, I'm hoping that either some devices do handle it well enough, or that there's some way around it. Do most off-brand android e-readers have ways to read kindle books well enough?
The only way to read Kindle books on an Android device is with the Kindle app or the Kindle Lite app. The latter gets rid of page turn animations, but it also gets rid of the dictionary, since it is designed for low-power phones, not for powerful e-ink devices.

Quote:
Can APKs be directly installed?
Yes, you can sideload APKs, then use the file manager to find and install them.

Quote:
Are there any common problems with android based e-readers? I'm assuming battery life takes a big hit.
That will depend on how you're using it. Make sure to keep Bluetooth and Wifi off except when you need them, don't use it to watch videos, and battery life shouldn't be so bad.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:38 AM   #12
enekomh
enekomh began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
You can use the Kindle Lite apk. You won't be able to pick it up from the Play Store as it's intended for older devices but works fine if sideloaded. Because it's meant to be run on older devices, it lacks animations and whatnot and it works much much better on eInk devices than the normal app. The reader itself is pretty limited but at least push notifications and whispersync are enabled.
enekomh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:23 PM   #13
Dennell
Dennell began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
It works well on my likebook mars. The kindle app is the first app I downloaded to try after installed Google Play store.
Dennell is offline   Reply With Quote