Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-16-2018, 04:42 AM   #1
Bazzy123
Bazzy123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Font Size

Hi,

Have been using a Kindle Touch for years and decided to upgrade to the Paperwhite (8th Generation, Firmware 5.8.10).

My concern is the font size (which everyone seems to have). Unfortunately, in the new Kindle there is a big jump from the third largest font from the right to the second largest font as compared to an additional font in between. (See image).

Have struggled all day researching forums and testing with Calibre to try and get a similar size for my reading comfort.

Maybe I am not using the correct font sizes via the key wizard in Calibre? Or if we were to use the Font Ramp.txt file, what sizes could we use to match the Kindle touch size options.

I would truly appreciate some guidance as to how get the additional font sizes (from the right) that the old Kindle used to have.

Many thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kindle Font.jpg (1.23 MB, 454 views)
Bazzy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:48 AM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
You can define your own set of font sizes
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3088512
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:18 AM   #3
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
The first three generations of Paperwhites all have the same software. That would mean they all have 14 font sizes.

"Technically there are four different variations of Kindle Paperwhites. There are two versions of the second-gen Paperwhite, one with 2GB of onboard storage space and one with 4GB. The way to tell is to go to Settings > Menu > Device Info to view available space.

The software is essentially the exact same on all three generations of Paperwhites, so you aren’t going to be able to determine anything from a software standpoint."
https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...rations-apart/

You might want to upgrade the software.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
You can define your own set of font sizes
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3088512
Here are updated custom font-size instructions. (My post on the other thread is out-of-date.)
  1. Create plain text file named FONT_RAMP (there should be no extension; delete extension if it's created).
  2. Type in 14 numbers* (these represent font sizes in 1/100ths of an inch). The default sizes for a Kindle Voyage and Oasis1 (6-inch screen at 300dpi) are reported to be:
    Code:
    6.96 7.92 8.4 9.36 10.56 11.52 12.48 13.92 15.36 17.04 19.2 22.08 25.2 29.28
    Adjust numbers up and down until you get the font sizes you want.

*If your software version is pre-5.8.11, you can only type in 8 numbers. For 5.8.11 and later, type in 14 numbers.

3. Connect Kindle to computer via USB and copy the FONT_RAMP file to the root folder.
  4. Restart Kindle.

If you later decide you don't want custom font-sizes, simply delete the FONT_RAMP file and restart your Kindle.

Additional Notes:
  • FONT_RAMP requires 5.6.1.0.5 or higher.
  • FONT_RAMP only works with AZW3 or dual-mobi files containing both AZW3 and original mobi (aka old mobi, mobi-old, mobi6, mobi7). FONT_RAMP does not work with KFX or old mobi.
  • Dual-mobi can be created using KindleGen or Calibre (see conversion preferences > MOBI output; select MOBI-both). Note: Dual-mobi files use the extension .mobi, which can make them hard to distinguish from old mobi files. Dual-mobis are only necessary if you want to use Send-to-Kindle and WhisperSync. If not, you can use straight AZW3.

Last edited by odamizu; 11-26-2018 at 01:28 PM. Reason: additional info
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
The OP firmware is even more out of date and only has 8 font sizes.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:38 AM   #6
Bazzy123

Wow, thank you so much for the feedback. Give me a day to study and test out the suggestions and will revert back.

This has come in good time as I am about to throw down this Paperwhite 8th Gen.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #7
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just remember that if you're on anything earlier than 5.8.11, you can only input 8 font sizes. Updating to 5.8.11 or later will allow you to type in 14 font sizes.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:27 AM   #8
Bazzy123

Hi,
Using the 8 font size approach did not work. I copied the FONT_RAMP file in the root folder of the kindle, restarted, it did not work.

I have upgraded to 5.8.11 and now I see a font slider. You mentioned that the default values are 6.96 7.92 8.4 9.36 10.56 11.52 12.48 13.92 15.36 17.04 19.2 22.08 25.2 29.28 and can be customized.

So, if the number on the slider is 8 (the 8th bar), that means the corresponding font size is 13.92?

Once I get confirmation, will test out the FONT_RAMP again.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:30 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The custom font sizes don't work with KFX files (most books downloaded directly from Amazon). You have to sideload your books in AZW3 format.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:47 PM   #10
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy123 View Post
... You mentioned that the default values are 6.96 7.92 8.4 9.36 10.56 11.52 12.48 13.92 15.36 17.04 19.2 22.08 25.2 29.28 and can be customized.

So, if the number on the slider is 8 (the 8th bar), that means the corresponding font size is 13.92? ...
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The custom font sizes don't work with KFX files (most books downloaded directly from Amazon). You have to sideload your books in AZW3 format.
Good point. I had forgotten about that since I only read AZW3.

FONT_RAMP also won't work with mobi (but it does work with dual-mobi, i.e., a combined file containing both old mobi + AZW3).

@Bazzy123, you can learn more about avoiding KFX here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283371

To get a dual-mobi (which will work with Send-to-Kindle and WhisperSync as well as FONT_RAMP):

1) In Calibre, convert to MOBI-both (under conversion preferences > MOBI output)

2) Use KindleGen

or:

3) Take an epub, change the extension to .txt, and send that file via email/send-to-kindle. Amazon will run it through KindleGen for you and send AZW3. (In this method, it's best to use Send-to-Kindle rather than email, as Send-to-Kindle allows you to input the title & author. If you use email, Amazon will use the filename as the title and the email address as the author.)

Last edited by odamizu; 11-25-2018 at 08:15 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-26-2018, 03:41 AM   #11
Bazzy123

Ah okay, it won't work with mobi files.

So, would it work if I use Calibre to convert epub to AZW3? Do I need to use mobi both?

Also, what are the font sizes in the old Kindle Touch (2011) so I can match up the sizes using the custom fonts.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:29 AM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Ah okay, it won't work with mobi files.

So, would it work if I use Calibre to convert epub to AZW3? Do I need to use mobi both?

Also, what are the font sizes in the old Kindle Touch (2011) so I can match up the sizes using the custom fonts.
If you are just sideloading, convert to AZW3. Mobi both is only needed if you plan to upload to cloud to be able to sync. When sideloading with Calibre you can also setup a plugboard to add series number and name into the title automatically. The Kindle won't display series information from meta data, but it is useful to search for and have the books in a series in the correct order.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:17 AM   #13
Bazzy123

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
If you are just sideloading, convert to AZW3. Mobi both is only needed if you plan to upload to cloud to be able to sync. When sideloading with Calibre you can also setup a plugboard to add series number and name into the title automatically. The Kindle won't display series information from meta data, but it is useful to search for and have the books in a series in the correct order.
Thank you DuckieTigger. Pease clarify what is plugboard and series number?
Old 11-26-2018, 07:37 PM   #14
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Thank you DuckieTigger. Pease clarify what is plugboard and series number?
Plugboards can automatically change the title (or author) of a book when transfering to the device and fill in extra information. Say Harry Potter for example: if you sort by author or by title then the second book will be sorted before the first (Chamber of Secrets is before Philosopher's / Sorcerer's Stone). To have them listed in order the titles will be changed from (wrong reading order):
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
  • Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
To correct reading order:
  • Harry Potter - 01 - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
  • Harry Potter - 02 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

To explain how is too complicated right here, you would need to research more in the calibre forum to learn more about plugboards and syntax.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:22 AM   #15
Bazzy123

Hi all. Thank you once again for your feedbacks.

Thank you DuckieTigger. I got the idea about plugboards and will research on this. This is helpful as I have to look up which is the next book in a series.

The font ramp file seems to have worked when I sideloaded an AZW3 file. I am experimenting with sizes.

Out of curiosity, why are the sizes such a funny number? If the bar is font size 8, its 13.92? Howcome sizes on MS Word is different?

Tags
font_ramp